Dominican hair salons & Natural hair

AtlantaJJ

Ladies...

I had someone suggest that I go to a Dominican hair salon to get a blow-out / iron. My hair has never been straightened before, and I have never been to a Dominican salon.

Does anyone have experience with them working with natural 4a hair? Are they too rough, ie tearing through the hair with comb, etc.? Do they generally use too much heat?

I read on the internet that someone had a good experience with a roller set / blow-out.

I'm trying to decide how to straighten for my Christmas reveal.

TIA for your responses!! :thankyou:

gissellr78

I go to dominican salons to blow my roots.....

If you decide to get a blowout for the holidays it should not damage your hair specially if they use a protectant but dont make it a habit....

Also, call the salon you plan on going because many not all dominican salons do not work on virgin hair.

letitgrow0702

I have been going to a Dominican lady for about 2 yrs now. I love her! She is really good with hair care. I can't speak for any others, but compared to AA salons I have been to she is much more hair health conscious. Like you, I plan on going to her right before Christmas.

glamazon386

I went to one around this time last year and had no problems. They didn't roll my hair though. And they charged me double the price as the relaxed heads. I'd go again.

Amelia456

Well, I used to go to a Dominican hair salon when my hair was permed. They use a lot of heat on my hair (too too much). After my hair was washed and conditioned, they would place rollers in my hair and sit me under the hooded dryer. After about an hour, they would take the rollers out and then blow dry my hair (that's why i say they use to much heat).
Also, they were very particular about my perms. If i went in with an inch of new growth, they would insist that i get a perm. Now that I have natural hair, I would never go to a Dominican. I am too scared of what the results will be.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Ladies...

I had someone suggest that I go to a Dominican hair salon to get a blow-out / iron. My hair has never been straightened before, and I have never been to a Dominican salon.

Does anyone have experience with them working with natural 4a hair? Are they too rough, ie tearing through the hair with comb, etc.? Do they generally use too much heat?

I read on the internet that someone had a good experience with a roller set / blow-out.

I'm trying to decide how to straighten for my Christmas reveal.

TIA for your responses!! :thankyou:

Hey AtlantaJJ, i go to a dominican salon, i'm transitioning...
yes, they work on natural hair...only prob is one lady is ruff. i mean, i found out she was using a brush to blow out my hair, not a round brush, just a brush, and she was raking it, so like when she was done, i could see her taking the hair - alot of it- out of the brush. i asked her was it mine, she said no. :ohwell::perplexed:perplexed.... the owner is much better, gentler...i've learned to blow out my hair before going -which is major for me (#1 i had to purchase one) (#2 because i've never, ever used a blow dryer to "straighten/dry" my hair, only to knock out the dampness). That helped alot because she didn't have to do much to it...i saved a lot of hair...

a month before that, i tried going to a an oldskool hair presser and my hair started breaking the next week!!!:ohwell::perplexed and she was RUFF, too. I was like, dang!!!:ohwell::perplexed:sad:

so back to back to my dominisalon i went...i only get my hair flatironed, i do everything else, i just don't want them rushing through my hair, and it gets me out really quickly....

just be careful, bcs they are known for being rough and fast...they have soo many heads of long hair to do, they work like machines....so be ready to tell them if you don't like what they do...in your best broken spanish, ofcourse...

now my results are awesome, i think they are the best and they use great products, but they need to be gentler...

my hair, oh, it's brand new relaxer bone-straight every time....luv it...HTH!