Does your hair look nice when you straighten/do it yourself?

candy626

Now that I've been flat ironing for years I can get it just as straight as salons can (with the exception of one salon i used to go where my stylist would use Marcel irons, but that's because those things heat up to Lord knows what temperature).

The key with getting my hair really straight is using high heat( at least 375 degrees), small amounts of product, and flat ironing in small sections.

lonei

Yes! I rollerset, flat iron the roots and use Saran wrap and it comes out really straight. Check out my YouTube vids x

pookaloo83

i like the results i get from my babyliss nano titanium iron. it gets my hair really straight but i need to crank it up to at least 340 to get any type of sleekness on my texlaxed hair. 360-370 for bone straight hair. i flat ironed my hair at 300 last week and some one asked me if i had been DCing:ohwell:

I just :lachen:!

Ronnieaj

My hair hates blowdryers with a passion, so I always rollerset before flatironing. I do a really good DC before hand, typically with Joico MR, then use a little bit of SMB as a heat-protectant. My hair has swang from the rollerset, so the trick is to not mess with it! I use a liquid heat protectant, and :look: 425 degree flat iron, which is the only thing that keeps my hair straight. Less than 400 causes the back of my hair to revert before I'm done with the front of it, and that's a waste of time. I also use the comb chase method to iron, and go over each section twice.

naturallygoldie

Thankfully, yes it does. I've been flat ironing my own hair for two years. I've always washed, conditioned, dc'd, rollerset, hooded dryer, and then flatiron new growth (small sections dabbed with chi before running iron down it then wrap at night) with salon results. I recently tried: wash, condition, blow dry (super solano w/comb attachment) and then flatiron. I used a dab of chi before blow drying in sections and another dab before flat ironing..my hair was butter soft with tons of swang. Either way gives me the relaxed look. I don't add coconut oil to my hair until after I'm done flat ironing.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair won't stay strait when I straiten it.:ohwell: In fact, I got heat damage from my attempts. I am no longer using heat because my hair is still not long enough to bun without force. Roller setting it makes it look like a light blow out. Flat irons make it strait, but it just is hard for me to maintain it. I did get compliments when I rocked it, but it just didn't last as long as I hoped.

bb09

Bump...

Aside from saloncabelo, are there any blowdrying videos out there?

I have texlaxed hair + new growth. I still struggle with:
- knowing how to part and blowdry the front of my hair (and the back :look:),
- starting with the roots or ends?
- holding the huge paddle brush.. When it's just so big, how are you supposed to use it on a small section of hair?

SherylsTresses

I'm natural MBL. When I flat iron, my ends are ALWAYS dry and crunchy so my true length never shows. :nono: However, I will not pay $75 and over for a stylist to do it.

iri9109

Yup.. if I'm not thorough I can some times have wavy roots in the back when I flat iron, but overall I've mastered the art of straightening and my hair is just as straight, shiny and swangin as the salon.. the only thing I can't do is trim my ends lol

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I have fine low to medium density relaxed hair and I could never get decent results when I flat ironed my own hair. I didn't own a flat iron or blow dryer for over a decade until this year. I bought a Babyliss Pro Nano over the Summer, flat ironed twice with it and through in the towel yet again because both sessions was an epic fail. As the holidays approached and the year end challenger length check are quickly approaching, I decided to give flat ironing another whirl. I went out and bought a Sedu Revolution because of all the rave reviews, I bought the Redken Smooth lock heat glide, and grabbed my Kerastase Ciment Thermique and OMG!! Beautiful hair! My ends would always look raggedy but not anymore. The only thing I will do differently is to eliminate the leave-in when I'm flat ironing. My Flat iron regimen is:

1. Detangle on dry hair
2. Shampoo
3. Moisture DC
4. Air Dry (to much breakage when I blow dry)
5. Apply Kerastase Ciment Thermique
6. Apply Heat Redken Smooth lock heat glide
7. Flat iron in 1" sections starting with my nape on 260 degree heat.
8. Comb after the hair has cooled not as I go (I read this somewhere ;-) ).

I'm no master and have only used this method twice because I rarely use heat. I promise you, after the first time I was so shocked and excited. I got compliments all night in my hair. I don't have any layers but my hair was soft, smooth, shiny and had that swan! The key also for me was using a tiny little bit if product but the Sedu is THE BUSINESS!

OP, maybe you can also loosen the grip on the flat iron too, I read somewhere this can help because you're not flattening the hair as much. As I think about it, my sister (a stylist) always appeared to lightly glide the flat iron down the hair. I'm going to ask her if that is a trade technique.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
A stylist gave me that tip; she said "however your hair dries is what it will do. If it dries straight, it will stay straight. If it dries puffy, your hair will want to stay puffy". I have found this to be true for my hair.:yep:

This here makes so much sense to me. I have to find a really good blow dryer because the little TIGI Bed Head blow fryer breaks my hair. I wonder if the Sedu Revolution BD is a great as the flat iron?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Melaninme

I think it does! Over the years I've learned that my hair hates blow drying, so for me, air drying is they way to go.

ETA: Yes, I do my own hair.