• Relaxed

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Natural

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JamericanGurl

Relaxed or Natural?

I'm been completly natural for 1 year and I swear my hair is growing slower?? I have a good regimen and my hair feels and looks healthy....But I dunno?? Something about that chemical ish made my hair grow like wildfire.

Last edited:

amm1030

I think my hair grew faster when natural when I was young, but then again, it was never down-always braided. But recently, it grew because I hadn't been relaxing as aften-so I think that stretching the time between relaxers helped me a lot.

shellzfoshizzle

Your hair may be growing the same rate as when you were relaxed. When you relaxed, you compared your relaxed hair to your newgrowth. Now that you are completely natural...you don't have anything to compare the newgrowth to. Make sense?

I am transitioning so I can't answer how fast my hair grows. I am OBSESSED with my hair and I am constantly in it all day (not good) so to me, my hair grows slow now that I am transitioning.

I sure as hell hope my natural hair grows much faster than my relaxed hair. A relaxer breaks down the hairshaft (or something like that) so I would think that makes the hair grow slower.

JamericanGurl

shellzfoshizzle said:
Your hair may be growing the same rate as when you were relaxed. When you relaxed, you compared your relaxed hair to your newgrowth. Now that you are completely natural...you don't have anything to compare the newgrowth to. Make sense?

I am transitioning so I can't answer how fast my hair grows. I am OBSESSED with my hair and I am constantly in it all day (not good) so to me, my hair grows slow now that I am transitioning.

I sure as hell hope my natural hair grows much faster than my relaxed hair. A relaxer breaks down the hairshaft (or something like that) so I would think that makes the hair grow slower.
This makes alot of sense!
But also dare I say I noticed that my hair grew quicker when I kept it trimmed:look:

So 2 weeks ago i chopped off a whole heap of hair for a hair style and I'm gonna have to moniter my growth;)

Isis

The hair coming out of the follicles is always going to be natural so I don't believe being natural or relaxed has an affect on the rate of growth. Depending on one's hair type, it's just easier to see the newgrowth when it's relaxed but it's all growing just the same.

juicy555

My hair grows much faster now that it's relaxed but I think it's because of other factors too. Like I condition and trim much more than when it was natural cuz I thought oh it's natural it'll take care of itself. Also hormones... since I had the baby hair's growing faster... although now its shedding more too...:cry:

beyondcute

I feel like its growing slower cuz I want it to be where I want it to be and I dont wanna wait for it BUT in reality my hair is growing the same rate.

Same head, same person but I picked natural because with relaxed it broke off nearly as fast as it grew so there was no real "growth." Now I cut one month and the next BAM its on its way back.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i would promise to Jesus my hair grows slow like only 4in a yr but from 10-3-05 to this date i have about 3+ in of newgrowth now considering that my hair was already 8-10 in i should really show growth but my text ends are breaking off without me really noticing so maybe it isnt slow growth but breaking ends you guys are seeing?

Mestiza

Isis said:
The hair coming out of the follicles is always going to be natural so I don't believe being natural or relaxed has an affect on the rate of growth. Depending on one's hair type, it's just easier to see the newgrowth when it's relaxed but it's all growing just the same.

ITA! :yep: I haven't noticed a difference in the rate of my hair growth when it's been completely natural compared to relaxed.

Last edited:

babyanjel

I must be the only one that things it grows at the same pace....it's just appears thicker now that i'm natural.

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
My hair grows at the same pace but now that I am natural my hair of course is a lot stronger because I don't use chemicals and use heat only two or three time per year. Because of this I am able to retain more length.

For instance my nape area when relaxed never grew much past five or six inches and as a natural, it is about about 11 inches stretched.

balisi

msportugal said:
i would promise to Jesus my hair grows slow like only 4in a yr but from 10-3-05 to this date i have about 3+ in of newgrowth now considering that my hair was already 8-10 in i should really show growth but my text ends are breaking off without me really noticing so maybe it isnt slow growth but breaking ends you guys are seeing?
This is what I believe. My natural hair seems to have much less breakage, plus I use direct heat on it only about 4-5 times a year. The shrinkage factor makes it seem as though the growth is less, but when I straighten it, I'm always surprised at how much it's grown.

SparklingFlame

Natural hair seems to grow much slower because it shrinks. My hair is only to about my ear now but when I pull it its touching my neck almost.

ayoung

msportugal said:

This is me for sure! My hair is growing at a nice rate (faster than w/ a relaxer i think ) but I haven't been able to retain any length! So, that is why I am on a mega protective style challange right now!:)

morehairplease

beyondcute said:
I feel like its growing slower cuz I want it to be where I want it to be and I dont wanna wait for it BUT in reality my hair is growing the same rate.

Same head, same person but I picked natural because with relaxed it broke off nearly as fast as it grew so there was no real "growth." Now I cut one month and the next BAM its on its way back.

co signing to everything you said beyondcute. this is exactly how I feel.

Gryphyn

My hair retains more length when its natural. i stopped relaxing almost a year ago (Feb 21st). My hair is already at least 2.5 inches longer than I ever remember it being in the last 10 years. That's crazy since all the hair I have I grew in the past year!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair grows faster natural, except my mega shrinkage made my hair look shorter. My natural hair was much stronger so it retained more length than my relaxed hair ever did. I have to get my hair back to where it was.

OnPoint

I believe that I was able to retain more length as a natural. As a texturized head- it is much much harder for me to retain length, but I think I am getting it. (Maybe?)

Mestiza

babyanjel said:
I must be the only one that things it grows at the same pace....it's just appears thicker now that i'm natural.
You're not alone! There are others who think that, myself, included!

tropicexotic

free @ last
I think my growth is the same...it seems faster w/ my natural hair because I'm monitoring my growth. I got more frequent trims when relaxed and always kept my hair around the same length.

Faith

I think it's the same BUT with the natural hair I couldn't tell UNLESS I straightened it out really well. All my hair cares about is moisture and protecting the ends and it's all good

Amina

I wish there was an option for both. When I was younger my natural hair used to be a little past my knees. My mom used to press it and put to pigtails.

When I relaxed my hair it grew fast. But the strange thing is now it doesn't. Ever since I moved from Southern Louisiana to Northern Louisiana (the enviroment, water and food I eat changed). It now takes forever to grow.

BrwnSugaBabee

In my opinion I don't think hair grows any faster out of your head whether you are relaxed or natural ..only difference is length retention. Whatever state hair is in if it keeps breaking or you are getting trims to often it will seem as if it is not growing that fast.

Candy_C

i think i retained more hair naturals as i never did a thing to it, never touched it! it was washed every 2 weeks, platted and oiled up.