Does this count as Protective?

Rezgirl

Ok girls so, I cannot do the whole bun thing. I enjoy wearing my hair down (when it's not hot and humid) but I'm having a hell of a hard time stretching beyond my current relaxed 19-20 inches, you know the infamous "shoulder length". I also have layers, so I always get flyaways. I like my buns slick and sheek and no matter how much product I use, by the end of the day my layers shine right through! Also, I don't like to put too much stuff in my hair (buildup).Anyway, I've been experimenting with claw clips. Goody has a line of interesting clips (bear claw,octopus, etc) Does this count as "Protective" since my hair is not in contact with anything, similiar to a bun? Do I need to switch positions and directions of the hair while its in a clip like you do with a bun? Is it ok that my ends poke out at the top? I oil my hair and ends daily and don't really like tucking them in! I'm also rocking a "curly puff" sometimes. This is when I recycle a twist out. I gather the hair into a high ponytail and wrap a hairband around twice, to secure it into a loose curly pony. Again, my ends are oiled but exposed, however they are high enough not to make contact with anything.Protective or not? By the way, anybody suffering with layers? I'm attempting to grow my hair out to one length and I'm not willing to cut the longest length to the shortest so, until the shortest gets to an appropriate length, I'm stuck and hating it. Ponytails are a b$%#@ b/c you have these stubborn flyaways! Can anyone sympathize? :(