Does anyone have pictures of texturized hair?

BamaBelle

Hey y'all!

I've been considering myself "textlaxed" for a long while now: I relax my hair with Affirm but only to a point where the hair is actually "texturized". In other words, my hair, when wet, is curly like a texturizer. It dries rather coily, puffy (without products). I can straighten it either by blow drying and curling, allowing it to airdry then Maxiglide, or getting a Wash/Set/Blow at the Dominican salon.

All that said, I'm wondering if i should allow the relaxer to process a bit longer the next time I touch-up so that I have a more relaxed curl pattern. Does anyone have any pictures of their hair textlaxed/texturized, etc.? I'd like to see hair wet, worn as a wash n wear, straight, etc.

Many thanks in advance, y'all. I know I always come up with some complicated scenarios!

Yes and can someone please also say how long they keep it on for??

I'm having issues w/ texlax. When I first did it w/ Phyto on all virgin hair, it was gorgeous. I think I may have it on for 18 mins or so all curly soft hair, NOW my hair is just frizzy! The "curls" are not really there and the one's that are there are kind of limp. I'm really fustrated and wonder if I was overprocessing? But I always waited at least 8 weeks to relax (now I'm stretching to 10-12 weeks) and I'm not doing anything that different. I'm not sure what I"m doing wrong. Plus my hair is now REALLY try on the top of my head and frizzier on top than at the bottom.

Alright this is too big an issue I need to start a new thread for this!. :)

BamaBelle said:
Hey y'all!

I've been considering myself "textlaxed" for a long while now: I relax my hair with Affirm but only to a point where the hair is actually "texturized". In other words, my hair, when wet, is curly like a texturizer. It dries rather coily, puffy (without products). I can straighten it either by blow drying and curling, allowing it to airdry then Maxiglide, or getting a Wash/Set/Blow at the Dominican salon.

All that said, I'm wondering if i should allow the relaxer to process a bit longer the next time I touch-up so that I have a more relaxed curl pattern. Does anyone have any pictures of their hair textlaxed/texturized, etc.? I'd like to see hair wet, worn as a wash n wear, straight, etc.

Many thanks in advance, y'all. I know I always come up with some complicated scenarios!

I am currently texturized/telaxed:confused::lol: and I have pics in my album of my hair in wash and go style which is mainly how I wear my hair and only a few with wet hair. I have never worn it straight since I texturized my hair so I can't help you with pics. By the way, how long are you leaving the relaxer on? Maybe you should leave it on a little longer but please do a strand test to find out the desired curl pattern that you want to achieve before you apply it to your entire hair. It takes me about an hour to do my entire hair which includes applying the texturizer and smoothing/processing. I know, I work very slow. I use either Scurl texturizer or Designer Touch in mild. However, I have used Elasta QP lye and Hawiian silky in mild with great results but I prefer Scurl and Designer Touch.

If you a search you will find a number of threads about texturizing that could be of more help to you. In the process you might even find some albums to browse through.
:)

jackie1277 said:
Yes and can someone please also say how long they keep it on for??

I'm having issues w/ texlax. When I first did it w/ Phyto on all virgin hair, it was gorgeous. I think I may have it on for 18 mins or so all curly soft hair, NOW my hair is just frizzy! The "curls" are not really there and the one's that are there are kind of limp. I'm really fustrated and wonder if I was overprocessing? But I always waited at least 8 weeks to relax (now I'm stretching to 10-12 weeks) and I'm not doing anything that different. I'm not sure what I"m doing wrong. Plus my hair is now REALLY try on the top of my head and frizzier on top than at the bottom.

Alright this is too big an issue I need to start a new thread for this!. :)

Maybe you should try a lye relaxer/texturizer to texturize your hair instead of no lye. This could be the problem because when I first texturized my hair I used Soft and Beautiful Botanicals texturizer kit which is a no lye texturizer and for the first week my hair was looking good until it started to get really dry and the curls were not popping anymore. The next time I did a touchup, I used Desinger Touch and my hair was soft, moisturized and my curls were popping all over the place. It could also be that you overprocessed too because you said that some of your curls were limp. What kind of hair products are going currently using? How are you texturizing your hair? Maybe you need to clarify? I hope to hear more details.:)

this is my textlaxed hair, a while ago. my hair began to frizz too. i had to perform a corrective to loosen the curl and make it more uniformed, the curly girl method which is co wash helped my hair curl up more, i also had to clarify sometimes as build up makes your curls flat

75241904-vi.jpg

Last edited:
den1 said:
this is my textlaxed hair, a while ago. my hair began to frizz too. i had to perform a corrective to loosen the curl and make it more uniformed, the curly girl method which is co wash helped my hair curl up more, i also had to clarify sometimes as build up makes your curls flat

75241904-vi.jpg

Den,

Does conditioner washing really make your hair curl up more? I've found that the only thing that makes my hair curl up is a co-wash with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.

caligirl said:
Den,

Does conditioner washing really make your hair curl up more? I've found that the only thing that makes my hair curl up is a co-wash with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.
yes, the picture i took was right after trying the curly girl method, rinsing with (keracare humecto and vo5 pina colado, its discontinued now though) i added no products. before trying this technique i couldn't get this definition, also due to underprocessing.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Maybe you should try a lye relaxer/texturizer to texturize your hair instead of no lye. This could be the problem because when I first texturized my hair I used Soft and Beautiful Botanicals texturizer kit which is a no lye texturizer and for the first week my hair was looking good until it started to get really dry and the curls were not popping anymore. The next time I did a touchup, I used Desinger Touch and my hair was soft, moisturized and my curls were popping all over the place. It could also be that you overprocessed too because you said that some of your curls were limp. What kind of hair products are going currently using? How are you texturizing your hair? Maybe you need to clarify? I hope to hear more details.:)

Hey ClassyEbonyGirl, I just checked out your album and I really like your hair. Do you use both of the colors you showed in your album? If so, do you mix them or use different colors on different sections?

Also I had the same result you had when I relaxed last summer. I used the Soft & Beautiful no-lye relaxer (not botanicals) and for the first week it was absolutely beautiful, lol curls popin' all over the place. I wasn't even trying to texturize, it was an accident!

This is how it looked for a minute: DSCN0978-vi.jpg
This how it looked with a rollerset:DSCN1139-vi.jpg

But after a week or so, no matter what I did it never looked like that again. I did switch to a lye relaxer, which was better I guess, but since most of the hair was already relaxed with the no-lye it didn't make that much of a difference. Well I finally bc'd again and am natural. But I just wanted to back up your story about the no-lye, you have to be so careful. Overall, I think it's hard to texturize if you want it to be really curly, it's hard to get it and keep it "just right". I'm glad you've had success:).

ETA: I was looking back at my other texturized pics and it really didn't look as bad as I thought but then I remembered how hard I had to work to get my hair the way I wanted and one of the most frustrating things was that it started shedding. I could no longer conditioner wash as often as I liked. As a natural I could conditoner wash as often as I liked but texturized more than once a week was too much. So it was like a catch 22 because the hair needed lots of moisture but at the same time it could not handle the manipulation.

Last edited:
Maybe you should try a lye relaxer/texturizer to texturize your hair instead of no lye. This could be the problem because when I first texturized my hair I used Soft and Beautiful Botanicals texturizer kit which is a no lye texturizer and for the first week my hair was looking good until it started to get really dry and the curls were not popping anymore. The next time I did a touchup, I used Desinger Touch and my hair was soft, moisturized and my curls were popping all over the place. It could also be that you overprocessed too because you said that some of your curls were limp. What kind of hair products are going currently using? How are you texturizing your hair? Maybe you need to clarify? I hope to hear more details

Hi ClassyEbonyGirl,

Thanks for responding! Well...let me tell you. I'm texturizing with Phyto Index II, which is the first relaxer I've ever tried to self-relax with and have not used anything different since (starting last year). But my hair actually looked good for at least thru 2 or 3 touchups and but gradually and gradually it just didn't seem to do as well. Like right now my hair is just so frizzy. Not straight but no real defined girls. Like today I just let all my air dry and it's really one big puff. Like the texture if you were to blowdry virgin hair or something you know? I did clarify last night actually w/ Nexxux Aloe Rid. And I did an ACV wash at least 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I'm working on my regimen but basically have been washing two times a week w/ CON shampoo (I can't find anything that will detangle the way that stuff does) and doing a light protein (GPB) one wash/plus deep conditioning (ORS PAK) one time and the 2nd time I use CON shampoo I'll just deep condition w/ no protein. Right now I'm just kind of using whatever i have as far as Deep Conditioners. I've been using NTM and either S-curl/or Stastafro w/ mango butter and jojoba oil on ends for daily moisture.

Right now I keep experimenting with different things. I know my regimen is not perfected yet, but no matter how moisturized I get my hair that top part still seems to be frizzier then the rest of my hair. Oh dear I think I'm even more confused now. ;)

hopeful said:
Hey ClassyEbonyGirl, I just checked out your album and I really like your hair. Do you use both of the colors you showed in your album? If so, do you mix them or use different colors on different sections?

Also I had the same result you had when I relaxed last summer. I used the Soft & Beautiful no-lye relaxer (not botanicals) and for the first week it was absolutely beautiful, lol curls popin' all over the place. I wasn't even trying to texturize, it was an accident!

This is how it looked for a minute: View attachment 1948
This how it looked with a rollerset:View attachment 1949

But after a week or so, no matter what I did it never looked like that again. I did switch to a lye relaxer, which was better I guess, but since most of the hair was already relaxed with the no-lye it didn't make that much of a difference. Well I finally bc'd again and am natural. But I just wanted to back up your story about the no-lye, you have to be so careful. Overall, I think it's hard to texturize if you want it to be really curly, it's hard to get it and keep it "just right". I'm glad you've had success:).

Thanks for the "backup" and the compliment.:lol::blush: The first time I colored my hair I used three colors in my hair: Textures and tone cherrywood, red copper and honeyblonde. I didn't mix the colors I just applied the red copper first all over my hair then follow up with the cherrywood:look:. I used the honey blonde for highlighting by using a plastic cap and pulling through the strands that I wanted to highlight. However, the last time I colored my hair I decided to go a different route, I used the same colors but instead of using Textures and tones in cherry wood I used Creme of Nature in bronze copper. Instead of applying it all over my hair, I had my hair in about 22 plaits and I parted those plaits in two and I applied one color on the first section then the other color to other section. The color that I put in the first section I applied it to the second section on my next plait until I was finished. It was alot of concentration.:eek::lol: The next day I did the streaks but I didn't use a plastic cap to pull through the strands because it wasn't working out for me this time. So I did the plaits again and section out a few strands of hair in each plaits all over and then pinned up the hair that I didn't want to highlight. After doing that then I proceeded to apply the honey blonde to the few strands that I had sectioned off. I hope you understand the explanation.

I am so sorry about your mishap with the no lye relaxer. You hair looks beautiful in those pics though.:yep: I don't think I will ever use another no lye relaxer in my hair again.

Congratulations on being natural again. You must be happy to be free again.:) It does take alot of trial and error to get the perfects curls because sometimes I end up with overprocessed hair which results in flat limp curls.:( So from now on I will only stick to Designer Touch mild because it gives me the best results.

den1 said:
yes, the picture i took was right after trying the curly girl method, rinsing with (keracare humecto and vo5 pina colado, its discontinued now though) i added no products. before trying this technique i couldn't get this definition, also due to underprocessing.

Den,

Can I use Elucence Shampoo 2X a month as part of the curly girl routine? Right now I'm co-washing daily with Kenra and using Tui Hair oil as a leave in.

jackie1277 said:
Maybe you should try a lye relaxer/texturizer to texturize your hair instead of no lye. This could be the problem because when I first texturized my hair I used Soft and Beautiful Botanicals texturizer kit which is a no lye texturizer and for the first week my hair was looking good until it started to get really dry and the curls were not popping anymore. The next time I did a touchup, I used Desinger Touch and my hair was soft, moisturized and my curls were popping all over the place. It could also be that you overprocessed too because you said that some of your curls were limp. What kind of hair products are going currently using? How are you texturizing your hair? Maybe you need to clarify? I hope to hear more details

Hi ClassyEbonyGirl,

Thanks for responding! Well...let me tell you. I'm texturizing with Phyto Index II, which is the first relaxer I've ever tried to self-relax with and have not used anything different since (starting last year). But my hair actually looked good for at least thru 2 or 3 touchups and but gradually and gradually it just didn't seem to do as well. Like right now my hair is just so frizzy. Not straight but no real defined girls. Like today I just let all my air dry and it's really one big puff. Like the texture if you were to blowdry virgin hair or something you know? I did clarify last night actually w/ Nexxux Aloe Rid. And I did an ACV wash at least 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I'm working on my regimen but basically have been washing two times a week w/ CON shampoo (I can't find anything that will detangle the way that stuff does) and doing a light protein (GPB) one wash/plus deep conditioning (ORS PAK) one time and the 2nd time I use CON shampoo I'll just deep condition w/ no protein. Right now I'm just kind of using whatever i have as far as Deep Conditioners. I've been using NTM and either S-curl/or Stastafro w/ mango butter and jojoba oil on ends for daily moisture.

Right now I keep experimenting with different things. I know my regimen is not perfected yet, but no matter how moisturized I get my hair that top part still seems to be frizzier then the rest of my hair. Oh dear I think I'm even more confused now. ;)

Your welcome hon!! Don't stress yourself too much.Your regime sounds great to me. As I said it could be the no lye relaxer, or it could be that you underprocessed that part of your hair which might be causing the frizz. Too much protein can also result in frizzy hair too. Maybe you need to try a texturizing relaxer (Scurl/Designer Touch) instead and apply your styling products to your hair when it's wet, shake it downwards, then airdry to eliminate the frizz.

My regime is far from perfected because I am always trying new things and in the process I find great products for my hair. Oh boy!! The life of a PJ.:look::lol:

caligirl said:
Den,

Can I use Elucence Shampoo 2X a month as part of the curly girl routine? Right now I'm co-washing daily with Kenra and using Tui Hair oil as a leave in.

I know I'm not Den1, but I'm on CG (almost solely) and I CW or rinse my hair almost daily. I don't use any shampoo what contains SLS or any SLS type ingredients--they actually dry out my hair and make it tangled. It takes my hair a few weeks to recover.

When I want to clarify, I use V05 kiwi lime conditioner or a homemade shampoo bar instead. I also use a conditioner that contains a milder surfectant like cocamidopropyl betaine. I also use a little lemon juice or acv. I don't often use cones, or only water soluable ones.

There are photos in my album of my hair just co-washed without any styling products.

caligirl said:
Den,

hi cali, you can perform a modified version of the c g method using poo, however i'd only poo once a month or just use a clarifying conditioner instead, like vo5 kiwi and lime instead.
the trick is not to use any silicone, grease and the method should work best without build up issues

Cheleigh said:
I know I'm not Den1

hahahaha, i love when people do that! thanks for the tips, cheleigh. I'm going to check if my elucence contains SLS. i really just want something to get my scalp clean since I don't like rubbing conditioner into my scalp.

OT @ Cheleigh, Your hair is off the hook! It has really grown:yep:. I love your coils and your twists are so cute.

Check my album. I'll be putting a pic of straight hair later this week. When my hair is wet it looks like Diana Ross. My regiment is in my hair journal. Good luck.

Queenie said:
Check my album. I'll be putting a pic of straight hair later this week. When my hair is wet it looks like Diana Ross. My regiment is in my hair journal. Good luck.

Thank you, Queenie! Your album was very helpful. Ms. Ross ain't got nothin' on you!!! So your hair is texturized: What product do you use and how long does it process your hair?

hopeful said:
OT @ Cheleigh, Your hair is off the hook! It has really grown:yep:. I love your coils and your twists are so cute.

I missed this! :blush: Hopeful, you are so sweet. Thank you--this made my day! :)

Back