DO YOU BELIEVE IN SHORTER HAIR FOR OLDER WOMEN

Wolftrap

I mean I have watched a lot of things on the style channel and other shows where they do makeovers and they almost always cut the hair of older woman in shoulder length or higher. Do you believe that shorter cuts really make you look younger? I know my grandma has the fiercest hair cut I have ever seen on a woman with all gray hair. It's very close like halle berry cut. It looks great on her. But she also has let her hair grow to mid back and I find she looks a lot older with her hair like that. Also my mom now is trying to grow her hair long. She is 54 and I think she looks much younger with her bob cut. What do you ladies think? I do believe the older you get longer hair makes you look older. Or is there anyone that is 50 or older on this board and are trying to get bra strap or waist length?

YOTEGRA

No not at all. If you have the face for long hair then go for it no matter the age. Now if someone has a few wrinkles and their hair is really gray, then I think shorter looks better.

myco

Re: DO YOU BELIEVE IN SHORTER HAIR FOR OLDER WOME

For some women, long hair does age them. But somewhere around shoulder length to maybe collar-bone length is a nice length that can be modern and classic at the same time. I have a round face, so I don't think that hair above the shoulders will ever be the best choice for me. I would probably make sure that I get layers or something, so that it's not one big sheet of hair hanging down.

Neroli

Like most things, I think it depends on the woman and how well she can play the long hair look. I do think GENERALLY that shorter hair looks best on older ladies (especially if they're looking their age!) but I've also seen some grandmas rock long hair . . .

Has something to do with long hair making the eye see facial features "downward" in the direction of the hair (which is bad, I guess) and short hair brings the eye "upward" . . .

Ayeshia

i think if the woman has really bad sagging , short heair would be best. The longer hair would make her face look dragged.

dreemssold

I think most times--but NOT always--long hair does age a woman. Lately, though, women are looking and dressing younger and younger, so hopefully, by the time we're old, it won't be an issue
. I don't want to have to make the decision.

Another option is wearing it back. There was an old (early 60s) woman who worked in administration at my school--she was black and gorgeous. Her hair was mostly gray, but still looked very soft, and she would wear it in a bun or a ponytail everyday, and I thought it was so pretty like that. My mother cut her hair at 48...but it grows so fast, that she has to cut it very often or she'll have a bob in a few months (not a hereditary trait
).

renee_n_3000

I believe long hair usually only makes a woman look older if they have wrinkles and sagging skin along the cheeks and jaw lines. The theory is that since the skin is already sagging, long hair accentuates that by further pulling an observer's eye downward when looking at the woman's face. Also, I guess it can make a woman look dated if the long hair is not worn in a modern style.

I think buns and French rolls, other updos, and a single braid look stunning on many older woman with long hair.

renee_n_3000

I love to see older Black women with a long, single, grey/white or salt and pepper braid or a French roll. My great aunt wore her hair that way in her later years and it was lovely. Whenever I see hair like that, I have to stop for a moment and admire it.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:
I believe long hair usually only makes a woman look older if they have wrinkles and sagging skin along the cheeks and jaw lines. The theory is that since the skin is already sagging, long hair accentuates that by further pulling an observer's eye downward when looking at the woman's face. Also, I guess it can make a woman look dated if the long hair is not worn in a modern style.

I think buns and French rolls, other updos, and a single braid look stunning on many older woman with long hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA

auntybe

It depends on her features. But short hair for all older women....NO!

Aerie17

I think hair length vs. age is an individual thing. Some look fabulous with short and just so-so with long hair; others just the opposite. I am going for long for now and it's lookin good!

DragonPearl

I understand the theory that long hair would drag the face down, and it's probably valid for most women, but I intend to test this theory as I get older.

amy1234

I do, after seing my grandmother who is 84, chopp off her long hair which she would usually keep in one long braid, she looks so much better or even younger now that its about 2 inches long.

LEOLADYSW

Only if there are wrinkles and sagging skin, or if their hair is thinning do I think short hair looks better. Black women tend not to wrinkle early, so this is less of an issue.

My aunts on both sides had long white thick hair and smooth taut clear golden brown skin. They wore their hair in french rolls, french braids, a single large braid, and that type of simple style. They looked fabulous.

mermaid

I intend to let my hair grow for the rest of my life. If someone tries to tell me that I am too old to have long hair, I will strangle them with my waist long braid!!

tippy75

I think it depends on the woman. My husband once told me that one of the most beautiful women he has ever seen before in his life was an older woman. He said that she had a head full of stark white hair past her bra strap and the body of a 30 year old. She was in the gym working out and all of the guys were sweating her from behind and then she turned around and they were really like wow because the woman was so beautiful. He said she had a mature look about her but not really old with the sagging skin and such.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
I intend to let my hair grow for the rest of my life. If someone tries to tell me that I am too old to have long hair, I will strangle them with my waist long braid!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!

Mariaat40

I'm 44 (45 in October) and I have to say I'm WORKIN my longer hair.
But yes, it does depend on how "old" your face looks. People normally assume I'm 10 years younger than I am. (Otherwise I couldn't get away with the mini skirt I'm wearing right now.) One of the blessings of being a black woman is fewer wrinkles. And I work out regularly so I'm in shape and keep a more "youthful" appearance. All that to say that I think it depends on the woman.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

No.
I believe in long hair for life

Short hair on older people is a fairly new idea.

Mahalialee4

The idea of short hair on older women is not new but I personally think it is a sign of "ageism". Theory is and the testimony of a few, that the "too old" idea was used by older women to badger the more attractive women among their peers who were not thin haired and pickety looking, but rather had a thick head of hair with a good length that caught "the old men's (and a few of the young men's eyes too...)... to cut their hair off so that they would no longer be a threat!!! They were told, "Shame on you...trying to be young...you know you are too old for that.. and you need to look more "respectable!" Church women were the worst. Even though the Bible says that long hair is the woman's crowning glory. And the younger women somehow felt that the older women had had their day and it is now their turn,(Oh the presumptiousness of youth!)... so they just need to step aside and let us take the stage and labelled the older women with long hair as "hags, witches, ridiculous, crazy, wild haired, lunatic...etc. It was really vicious!...but thank goodness, we have gotten beyond that. As for me, I will hopefully be swinging it at ninety, (very gracefully of course, and in a dignified way of course!) and when you know you look beautiful, your skin and eyes tend to reflect that. The most sour, sagging looking women I have seen are tnose who have abdicated their femininity and remaining youth, and any signs of sexuality to just be content to be the command babysitter for the kids and mothering husbands that still want to act like little boys! It is like they have taken the veil and gotten them to a nunnery...so to speak. It is nice to know that today women can look beautiful with short hair and with long hair and no longer need society's permission or approval. Like what do you do to someone who is older and decides she loves her hair long to the waist or butt...Put her on an ice flow?...
Bonjour

Valerie

Mahalialee4, I could not agree with you more!