Do You And Your Friends Talk About Hair?

LocksOfLuV

I am not talking about you schooling them on 'hair ettiquette' or trying to change their 'mentality', but I am talking about just talking about hair? Friend to friend, not hair-teacher to friend. Things like- shampoos, weaves, conditioners, styles, all of that kind of stuff.

Yesterday, me and a few of my friendgals were just sitting around talking about hair. They don't know I am on a hair site (I don't want them to think I am weird :lol:) and none of them are hair fanatics, but I enjoyed their conversation. We just talked about how they take care of their hair and what they use.

Out of 3 of them, all of them wear weaves. It was just interesting to hear them talk about what works for their hair ( everyone said greasing their scalps, I know, I know) and why they wear weaves. I don't know why I was so fascinated, but I just was. It brought me back to pre-hairboards. The greasing the scalp, how not to 'sweat out your perms':lol: , all of those types of things. They surprised me. One girl in particular did becausse she was saying how she isn't comfy with her own hair (her hair comes to her ear) and she is using the weave until her hair grows out. Another girl told me she feels like a "african barbie doll" with her weave. I wanted to say "you can grow your own hair out and feel like a barbie" but I didn't want to change the atmosphere of the convo, plus they probably didn't want my advice anyways ( I am 10 weeks post-relaxer, with a bun and tons of new growth in which I don't care to gel down. If I wasn't me, I wouldn't take my advice either:lol: ).

Do anyone of you have 'regular' talks with your friends about hair anymore or are you now schooling now that you are on hair boards? Do any of your friends surpirse you with what they say about their hair?

I encourage my best friend to take better care of her hair. She is now a lurker on the board. I'm trying to advise my sister to ease up on the monthly touch ups. She is now trying to stretch for every 6 weeks.

Actually, I was schooling one of my girlfriends about a couple of weeks ago. She was very fascinated to her all my tips. She's interested in growing her hair out. She is natural and her hair is lovely. I've been thinking about going natural myself. I didn't actually get a relaxer until I went to college. Sorry, I went off on a tangent for awhile. One of my other friends don't care about hair, so that conversation ended quickly. She will cut her hair and then get braids followed by another cut and more braids, etc. My sister actually looks up hair care on a regular basis, but she never shared her discoveries with me. My hair was always longer than hers until the last couple of years. She is now midback. She hates that I now have the know how to grow my hair. Sad uh?

Not really. I've got a militant natural friend (she doesn't force it on me, though), and we haven't really discussed hair other than her talking about how so many women are struggling and bald-headed because they won't let go of their relaxers.

Another BSL relaxed friend and I have only discussed how people assume our hair is weave and how people come at you with stupid questions about ethnicity and caring for long hair.

My cousin (who I consider a friend) and I have regular hair talks. She's a lurker here and a member of another hair care board. She was a long-time Cathy Howse follower and still uses some of her products. She and I discuss hair often, and we keep each other encouraged.

For some reason, I have a lot of acquaintances call and ask me who does my hair. When I tell them I do it myself, they're surprised or put off. They ask for stylist recs, but I don't have any because I don't go to stylists. Sometimes I'll try to offer tips & advice on how they can do their hair themselves, but they're usually looking at me like :confused: because these are the types of women who have been going to stylists ALL their lives and that's all they know. Some of them have never WASHED their hair at home. :eek:

I have a friend who is as fanatic as I am about hair growth, she lives in ATL and she is thinking about going to lilly's on Jimmy Carter Blvd. We talked about hair on the phone for about an hour and a half. I was giving her a tip on her hair breakage. She is shoulder length now, but has had APL hair before. I told her about LHCF and she is gonna check it out..........we talked about APL and BSL ladies in ATL, (cause there are a BUNCH of them everywhere you turn). We talked about Dominican products, healthy ends, long hair...long hair and more long hair, hair care techniques.....and the list goes on. Since I am moving back to ATL this year I gotta get it together or else I will be breaking my neck and getting on myself every time I see a long head of hair walk by..................... I know yall feel me!

The other day my natural co-worker and I were talking about hair. I felt so free!! I hope that we can talk more about hair in the future. :yep:

Me and most of my girlfriends have 'regular' talks about hair. It's funny, but across all races, the same things come up in our conversations: thickening hair that is fine or limp, deep conditioning, and taking vitamins. Lately, many of my white friends have been coming to me for hair advice because they think my hair is thick :lol: . I'm like, you gotta see some of the heads of hair on the boards.

My closest friends pretty much know that I'm the hair guru in the group,...the one who wants to do hair, who's got some tips and advice. They don't know how deep it gets, but my family does :look: .

You know, sadly I don't talk about hair w/ friends on a regular basis. I mean sometimes it comes up and it's usually started by me but it never goes far. They're just not into it like I am. Like I'll be talking and getting more and more excited as I go but I try to contain my self as not to look weird. I want the conversation to go longer but it never goes much past shampoo, conditioner and grease.

I had a conversation with my friend last night about hair. She asked me what she could do to stop the breakage in her hair. I tried to tell her that her hair was dry as the Sahara but she wasn't tryna hear it! One of those cases of "why are you asking me then?" I really just let my friends have conversations about hair that I listen to because they do not want to hear what I have to say. I also wear a bun with tons of new growth that I don't bother to force down. They tell me that they want to grow it out also but they just need to GLUE in a few tracks to make it look full or longer and what not. SInce my advice falls on deaf ears, I just say "I know girl, um hum!":look:

I have a friend who has locs and we discovered hair boards at the same time. We talk about hair and products ALL THE TIME. As a matter of fact, I was in Detroit for a couple of weeks and where did we go..............a beauty supply mega store.

We been through surge, MTG, WGO, coconut oil, ghee, essential oils and all that other smelly stuff together.

Thats when i get the silence on the other end of the line. none of my girlfriends care about hair. i dont try to bring up hair because i understand them. i wouldnt be so interested in hair if i didnt have hairloss. and i am certain after i solve these issues, i will put less effort in it.

When I first joined the site I had told my girl about it. I even emailed her beginning pics of my hair status. She didn't seem interested at the time. Everytime she saw me, she would tell me it's time for a perm. I always told her that I was on a mission, just wait and see. After I permed my hair after a 22-23 week stretch, that ***** was like:eek: . She couldn't believe how much my hair had grown. She all in my grill now:grin: . She wants to start stretching her relaxers now and get a regimen going. She even said she's gonna join the site now. I haven't seen any new posts, so we'll see.

Last edited:
With my friends, when the topic of hair comes up, we tend to agree to disagree. They are of the school of greasing your scalp under your mix matched, recycled weave everyday and perm every 4 weeks while I'm on my stretchsitioning, leave-in thing. We do tend to talk about products though because they usually get my "don't want" items.

e$h said:
When I first joined the site I had told my girl about it. I even emailed her beginning pics of my hair status. She didn't seem interested at the time. Everytime she saw me, she would tell me it's time to for a perm. I always told her that I was on a mission, just wait and see. After I permed my hair after a 22-23 week stretch, that ***** was like:eek: . She couldn't believe how much my hair had grown. She all in my grill now:grin: . She wants to start stretching her relaxers now and get a regimen going. She even said she's gonna join the site now. I haven't seen any new posts, so we'll see.

:lachen: ha that's too funny and ironic.
I don't offer advice but some family and close freinds have asked cause they've seen my progress. There's nothing better than them seeing proof that good haircare works.

I found the hair boards a little after my friend did...I knew she had become really into her hair, but I didn't know why. So after I found the boards, I was like "I know why your hair is breaking!! You use too much protein." She was like "I know now"...and that's how we both found out that we were on the boards...she had been on for a few months before I discovered them myself....now, we go on PJ shopping sprees!!!!! We talk about hair and hair products all the time and she gives me all the products that her hair "doesn't like." As far as other friends....naw, the topic of hair never really comes up....unless I'm trying to convince them to go natural :lol:

Even though I have had some progress, I dont offer ANY advice. Reason being - I am not comfortable enough with the basic appearance of my hair to feel like someone would even find me credible.
I equate it to religion. Even though you learn great things in church, until you people actually see you living a certain way, they will see you as a bible thumper and RuN.(Not all, just some)
On the other hand, those that know me very well, comment all the time on the little growth I have. They are surprised that I dont lay down my ng with a perm as fast as I used too and I have not put weave in my hair since Oct. Thats a lot for me. I used to perm every single time my hair would wave up and my poney wouldnt lay FLAT. Now I baby that hair and tie up my ends. I also could not live without having a new style. I am now a boring poney girl and I love it. I am just comfortable with the vision of knowing I will get there. Even once I am there, I will only give advice to those that ask, family or close friends.That may change...

Pokahontas said:
You know, sadly I don't talk about hair w/ friends on a regular basis. I mean sometimes it comes up and it's usually started by me but it never goes far. They're just not into it like I am. Like I'll be talking and getting more and more excited as I go but I try to contain my self as not to look weird. I want the conversation to go longer but it never goes much past shampoo, conditioner and grease.

What she said

I talk about hair ALL THE TIME. But, it's usually schooling on haircare. Most of my friends are dependent on stylists. They believe you have to go to a stylist for your hair to grow. They believe you have to clip your ends every couple months for your hair to grow. One co-worker believes black women can't wash their hair more often than every 2 weeks. :eek: And she's also one who has NEVER washed her own hair.

In order to have competent conversations about hair, I have to do it here. I guess that's why I'm here so much. :lol: Yeah, that's it...that's why I'm on here soo much!! :lachen: And when my friends did find out that I'm a part of a hair board, they had smart little comments, too. But, the jokes on them because they have to pay someone to have healthy hair. And I get mines for free!!! ;)

Pokahontas said:

OMG:lol: ! This is so me!

yoniy said:
Even though I have had some progress, I dont offer ANY advice. Reason being - I am not comfortable enough with the basic appearance of my hair to feel like someone would even find me credible.
I equate it to religion. Even though you learn great things in church, until you people actually see you living a certain way, they will see you as a bible thumper and RuN.(Not all, just some)
On the other hand, those that know me very well, comment all the time on the little growth I have. They are surprised that I dont lay down my ng with a perm as fast as I used too and I have not put weave in my hair since Oct. Thats a lot for me. I used to perm every single time my hair would wave up and my poney wouldnt lay FLAT. Now I baby that hair and tie up my ends. I also could not live without having a new style. I am now a boring poney girl and I love it. I am just comfortable with the vision of knowing I will get there. Even once I am there, I will only give advice to those that ask, family or close friends.That may change...

I like your religion/hair analogy it does make sense. Liek I said in my post earlier, no one wants my advice even though my hair is "long" (according to most black women I know) I don't wear it down and flat-ironed so no one cares. It's like no one cares how long it is as long as it is "done.":look:

Ms_Twana said:
I talk about hair ALL THE TIME. But, it's usually schooling on haircare. Most of my friends are dependent on stylists. They believe you have to go to a stylist for your hair to grow. They believe you have to clip your ends every couple months for your hair to grow. One co-worker believes black women can't wash their hair more often than every 2 weeks. :eek: And she's also one who has NEVER washed her own hair.

In order to have competent conversations about hair, I have to do it here. I guess that's why I'm here so much. :lol: Yeah, that's it...that's why I'm on here soo much!! :lachen: And when my friends did find out that I'm a part of a hair board, they had smart little comments, too. But, the jokes on them because they have to pay someone to have healthy hair. And I get mines for free!!! ;)

HAHAHAHA Take dat take dat!

When I started wearing my hair down a number of my non-black friends started talking to me about their hair. I mean anybody with even a bend of a curl in their hair wanted to talk about the differences in caring for "curly" hair. I'm like :huh: Anyway, I learned they did things like co-wash and dilute poo and avoid getting conditioner on their scalp. It was one of the best hair conversations I've had in "real-life."

LocksOfLuV said:
HAHAHAHA Take dat take dat!

You are so silly...:lol:

I want to say that I am VERY grateful for my hairboard peeps, both those I communicate with offline and online...

my fam/friends tolerated the hair thing for a minute...but I think they have had it with me..and if you try to tell folks something...they don't wanna listen...

although...I think my sis/mom are slowly coming around...

I looked at my mom's hair the other day..and I was like...it's looking thicker Mommy...and she was like I've been using that green stuff you gave me to use (Nature's Blessings) and my sister is now starting to leave her hair alone more.

Now, my cousin/friend is staying with me...she got up this morning and nearly gave me heart palpitations!!:eek: First, she whipped out her brush and went to vigorously to brushing out her wrap...

*Mo clutches heart*

Then she plugged in the curling iron! *Double clutch*

MO: "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Why are you plugging it up?"
Cous: "So I can have some curl and body in my hair."
MO: "Why can't you pin curl it for a minute?"

The closest smileys I can find for the expression she gave me is this...
:ohwell: :confused: :perplexed

She's like don't worry my hair won't be out long.

Now...after she done did all this....I must've got to her...
cause she started feeling on her hair...and was like...I really need to stop wearing my hair down (she's like around nape length)

So, I had to explain...that those exposed ends are rubbing against the clothing -- if you do want to grow your hair longer...you would do better pinning/clipping it up.

She went in the bathroom and put on her hair clip and hoop earrings and looked so cute.:)

So, I can kinda say things to them...but not much...:lol:

I introduced my bestfriend to LHCF after much hestitation :perplexed and now I am soooooooo glad I did. Anytime we both have "hair news" we call eachother. Previously me SO was the only in support of journey, which was great. BUt now I feel even better because I have someone working with me towards the saem goals!!!

My friends are not on board with the hair thing at all. I love talking and products and techniques and trying new things out. They listen, but don't really contribute to the conversation. OH well. What can you do?

both of my friends that i talk to know about me and my hair. one of them introduced me to the board, so we talk about it all the time. the other is heading in for her monthly relaxer..... I try to tell my family about it, to cut back the heat, and protect their hair when they use it but they dont want to hear it.... My friend who is trying to get her relaxer told me that i need a relaxer( i am 6 weeks post looking 12weeks) because i needed to blend the hair / new growth.... My cousin is another one with the glued in weave, I just threw mine out last saturday and i havent used it in almost a year. Her hair is almost apl, but there is alot of breakage.
Yesterday, my sister said she need some pink oil and i almost died. dear lord
I know it is bad, but what is in it?

Back