DIY BKT'ers - how long does the product last? Shelf life?

naturalmanenyc

I am curious how long the product can keep at home? Salons probably use up a bottle or two per month but for DIY BKT'ers who are using only 3 ounces every 3 months, does the product keep for over a year?

Please post your product shelf life & brand.

Wanderland

I have no idea but cosigning vkb247 formaldehyde is a preservant so I wouldn't really stress about it.

dany06

For the most part these only last 2 to 3 years unopened and 12 months when opened. I called global keratin to ask about the shelf life of their BKT and that is what I was told. For soft liss in the instruction pamphlet it states that their BKT has a shelf life of 12 months. I think this probably applies to most BKTs. This is why some people are skeptical of buying big bottles off of Ebay because they may be selling you expired bottles and such. I figured when purchasing samples off of ebay that the people selling probably are trying to get rid of what they have before it expires. So if you can ask for a picture of the expiration date if possible .

sheba1

I was going to get a 16 oz bottle....but there is no way I'd use it all in 12 months.

What's more, is that the 16 ounces are by weight. It took only 2.4 ounces by weight to give me 3 ounces of treatment by volume for my hair. So there are enough for 6 or 7 applications in a single bottle.

I was thinking of purchasing a bottle of rejuvenol next, Naturaltobe. PM me if you want to go halfsies on it. I'd definitely use 3 treatments in a year.

Dove56

I think that's why I'll go with Soft-liss on the next BKT (July :) )! I like the fact that you can purchase an 8oz kit with the shampoo, treatment and mask. That kit would cover me for the rest of the year!

naturalmanenyc

I have been researching it but DH does not want me to try BKT on my own.

He loves the results from the salon and I know that I cannot duplicate it at home. I was spending so much on weaves that the BKT treatment is nothing in comparison. I probably won't be a DIY with BKT - at least not unless my stylist raises her prices or moves out of town like my last stylist.

sheba1

That's understandable, Naturaltobe. If I found someone that would do it for $99, I'd definitely be in their chair every 3 to 4 months instead of doing it myself :yep:

ajoyfuljoy

I think that's why I'll go with Soft-liss on the next BKT (July :) )! I like the fact that you can purchase an 8oz kit with the shampoo, treatment and mask. That kit would cover me for the rest of the year!

I never heard of this one before. Went to the site. 99 for a one year kit? Sounds great to me!

Dove56

I never heard of this one before. Went to the site. 99 for a one year kit? Sounds great to me!

That is a great price! I will always do them myself as long as they charge so much to do them. I'm going to call around to see who does the Brazilian Blowout (Nicole Richie gets this one) and if it's reasonable ($150 or less) I'll pay someone to have it done. :yep: