Disappointing 4 month stretch-pics included

sj73

Disappointing 4 month stretch-pic included

The second photo in my siggie is after a four month stretch. It's almost two weeks since I relaxed after my first 4 month stretch and I'm not happy at all. I think I have my first setback ladies. :sad: One thing I recognized during this stretch was a lot of shedding. After I did a hard protein the shedding stopped, but I think it was too late. I waited for six weeks before doing that hard protein treatment and I'm now thinking I should do it every 4 weeks instead once I'm six weeks post relaxer.

My regimen is:
* Wash once a week (Nexxus Therappe or Joico Moisture Recovery)
*Clarify once a month (Nexxus Aloe Rid or Pantene Clarify)
*I always deep condition once a week and rotate with a moisturizing conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose, Silk Elements MegaSilk, Kirkland Signature Moisture) or protein conditioner (Philip B Deep Conditioning Rinse, Aphogee 2 minute).
* I rotate with my leave-ins too (Philip B Lovin Leave In, Giovanni Direct Leave In)
*I ALWAYS air dry and only flat iron my hair once a week on freshly deep conditioned hair.

I'm starting to wonder if braidouts are my enemy. I only finger comb them, except on wash day when I'm combing through my leave in conditioner. However, I don't pin-up my braidouts most of the time and believe that is where I messed up this past winter.

I'm bunning most of the spring...only wearing my hair down about two days each week.

Last edited:

AlliCat

Sorry to hear about your setback :( Stretching works for me and I notice after I start shedding it's time to throw in the towel and relax, otherwise it causes more harm than good.

Where's the pics at though :look:

AlliCat

Yes, the second one is after the stretch. Thanks for saying it looks healthy, but I was hoping for more growth.:ohwell:

Even though you haven't retained length, your ends still look good. I'm not sure whether your lack of retention was from shedding, or from lack of protein. but either way you should have listened to your hair...as soon as it starts to shed to do the protein. if that doesn't work then it's probably time to relax. ((hugs)) The only thing I can suggest is to cut down the weekly flat ironing to a bare minimum. No more than once a month. Good luck

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You could be right, but the hard protein did help the shedding significantly.

The Deeper I get into my Stretch, the more I incorporate heavier protein treatments (of course always following up with a Moisturizing DC'er).:yep: Also well as keeping your NG Highly Moisturized.

This coulda' also been your season to 'Shed' more.:perplexed

I also incorporate some kind of weekly reconstructor into my Regimen and it has helped greatly.

You gotta keep that Line of Demarcation Nice & Strong, yet Moisturized. It's definitely a Balancing Act.:spinning:

I see you were using the Apoghee 2 minute. Were you using this weekly?

I'm not familiar with this product. I think it is to be used per the directions and not as a DC'er.

sj73

Even though you haven't retained length, your ends still look good. I'm not sure whether your lack of retention was from shedding, or from lack of protein. but either way you should have listened to your hair...as soon as it starts to shed to do the protein. if that doesn't work then it's probably time to relax. ((hugs)) The only thing I can suggest is to cut down the weekly flat ironing to a bare minimum. No more than once a month. Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I've learned my lesson. I only flat iron my hair weekly during the first six weeks post. After six weeks, I start the braidouts and continue them until it's time to relax again. So, that means I only flat ironed my hair six times over the last four months.

Mrs. Verde

Here are few things that may also help your shedding. The black tea rinses really worked for me. I did them 2xs a week.
-Unsweetened black tea rinses - boil 4/5 bags of tea. Let the tea steep for a few hours. Rinse your hair with the tea. Obviously, only rinse with cold tea. Follow up tea rinse with moisturizing DC.
-Black coffee rinses - make a double pot of coffee. Wait until cool, rinse hair.
-Garlic conditioner washes - Nutrine and Alter Ego have unscented garlic conditioner
-Taking garlic supplements - garlic thins the blood be careful when using.

I hope these help, good luck.

sj73

The Deeper I get into my Stretch, the more I incorporate heavier protein treatments (of course always following up with a Moisturizing DC'er).:yep: Also well as keeping your NG Highly Moisturized.

This coulda' also been your season to 'Shed' more.:perplexed

I also incorporate some kind of weekly reconstructor into my Regimen and it has helped greatly.

You gotta keep that Line of Demarcation Nice & Strong, yet Moisturized. It's definitely a Balancing Act.:spinning:

I see you were using the Apoghee 2 minute. Were you using this weekly?

I'm not familiar with this product. I think it is to be used per the directions and not as a DC'er.

I don't use 2 minute weekly. It's in my rotation with my other DC, so I guess it's safe to say, I use it every 3-4 weeks.

sj73

Thanks everyone. I may consider going back to 3 month stretches. I was making progress with those.

TLC1020

During my stretch I incorporate more moisture, after the protein treatment I increase the moisture and keep it in a bun...

Sorry stretching didn't work for you ..

kiesha8185

Yes, the second one is after the stretch. Thanks for saying it looks healthy, but I was hoping for more growth.:ohwell:

I agree; your hair looks healthy in both! But I would say you have a mixture of a couple things that don't agree with everyone's hair: airdrying, weekly flat irons, stretching, and braidouts.

For me, I actually found that I shed and have less breakage when I rollerset than when I airdry. I did an experiment where I compared how much hair I lost after airdying then compared it to rollersetting. I think it has to do with smoothing the cuticle when rollersetting. My hair is also more moisturized when rollerset than airdried. Maybe you can try airdrying a rollerset or do a pony rollerset as the method to straighten your hair.

Direct heat every week may be a huge contributor to not retaining length. I know that it may seem that flat ironing airdried hair is okay, even after deep conditioning. But direct heat every week is a lot. I agree with Allicat, flat ironing once a month should be your max.

Proper moisture/protein balance is key for stretching, and not many have really found the products that give hair strength, yet elasticity and malleability between both textures. ApHogee's 2 minute reconstructor does that for me! Have you tried using that as your last/rinse out conditioner? Reason I say that, is because I know what the directions say, but I use it as a rinse out conditioner and it the best for me this way. You said you alternate between moisturizing/protein conditioners...how does your hair feel after each dc? Does it feel/retain moisture better with once versus the other? I know moisture/protein balance is important, but you should listen to you hair when it needs it as opposed to doing it because you know your hair needs both.

As for braidouts, I love how they look, but I hate what it does to my ends. I had more split ends/raggedy ends from braidouts. Once I stopped doing them, I retained more length.

Another thing that may cause a problem is clarifying. Unless you have product build up, or if your hair is not responding to products as it normally should, or if you're a swimmer and need to get rid of chlorine in your hair, then I would cut back on clarifying to every 4-6 months because clarifying shampoo can be extremely harsh and drying.

Lastly, I've always been told that breakage is an external issue (protein/moisture imbalance, too much manipulation or physical damage to hair) and shedding is an internal issue (stress, lack of sleep, improper diet, seasonal changes). I know this isn't the case for everyone, but for me, when I check the internal stuff, then the shedding stops. I would increase dark green veges and water intake, de-stress, increase exercise, and get more sleep. Massaging coconut oil w/essential oils nightly can be a supplement to stopping the shedding, as well.

What moisturizer are you using? I recommend Kimmaytube's leave-in or just spike your moisturizer with some aloe vera juice. You can also try baggying your ends to retain length. Those would be my suggestions.

HTH

mischka

shrinkage.
if it were me i would think the culprit is all that flat ironing. i think for most of us just as black women our hair doesn't thrive when using regular heat.

sj73

Thanks ladies. I may consider rollersetting this stretch and see how that works. I love my braidouts though (they are so easy maintain during the second half of the stretch). But if they are causing me damage, I need a Plan B. I don't like the plain bun look though...I have lots of hair candy to dress up the buns though.

Janet'

I understand how disappointing it is when you anticipate growth and instead you get bupkis...But, on the bright side, at least you didn't lose length...it could have been worse. AND...more bright side :yep: you know what product to use in the future for shedding! All in all, this wasn't a major setback...just a little life lesson learned :yep: :bighug:

Roux

when I was relaxed the longest I could stretch was 12 weeks before getting heavy shedding and breakage began. Listen to your hair.

LushLox

Remember this is only your first time stretching. It takes some trial and error to get it right. You need to listen to your hair, and give it what it needs when it needs it! Even as quite an experienced stretcher I'm still learning about my hair. I would urge you to stretch again though, maybe reducing a couple of weeks off for ease.

As others have said I do think the weekly flat iron may have played a part though.

MilkChocolateOne

I agree; your hair looks healthy in both! But I would say you have a mixture of a couple things that don't agree with everyone's hair: airdrying, weekly flat irons, stretching, and braidouts.

For me, I actually found that I shed and have less breakage when I rollerset than when I airdry. I did an experiment where I compared how much hair I lost after airdying then compared it to rollersetting. I think it has to do with smoothing the cuticle when rollersetting. My hair is also more moisturized when rollerset than airdried. Maybe you can try airdrying a rollerset or do a pony rollerset as the method to straighten your hair.

Direct heat every week may be a huge contributor to not retaining length. I know that it may seem that flat ironing airdried hair is okay, even after deep conditioning. But direct heat every week is a lot. I agree with Allicat, flat ironing once a month should be your max.

Proper moisture/protein balance is key for stretching, and not many have really found the products that give hair strength, yet elasticity and malleability between both textures. ApHogee's 2 minute reconstructor does that for me! Have you tried using that as your last/rinse out conditioner? Reason I say that, is because I know what the directions say, but I use it as a rinse out conditioner and it the best for me this way. You said you alternate between moisturizing/protein conditioners...how does your hair feel after each dc? Does it feel/retain moisture better with once versus the other? I know moisture/protein balance is important, but you should listen to you hair when it needs it as opposed to doing it because you know your hair needs both.

As for braidouts, I love how they look, but I hate what it does to my ends. I had more split ends/raggedy ends from braidouts. Once I stopped doing them, I retained more length.

Another thing that may cause a problem is clarifying. Unless you have product build up, or if your hair is not responding to products as it normally should, or if you're a swimmer and need to get rid of chlorine in your hair, then I would cut back on clarifying to every 4-6 months because clarifying shampoo can be extremely harsh and drying.

Lastly, I've always been told that breakage is an external issue (protein/moisture imbalance, too much manipulation or physical damage to hair) and shedding is an internal issue (stress, lack of sleep, improper diet, seasonal changes). I know this isn't the case for everyone, but for me, when I check the internal stuff, then the shedding stops. I would increase dark green veges and water intake, de-stress, increase exercise, and get more sleep. Massaging coconut oil w/essential oils nightly can be a supplement to stopping the shedding, as well.

What moisturizer are you using? I recommend Kimmaytube's leave-in or just spike your moisturizer with some aloe vera juice. You can also try baggying your ends to retain length. Those would be my suggestions.

HTH

quoted for emphasis, this response is on point

imaccami

I think that's good growth for four months. It may not look too different, but it looks like the rest of your hair caught up to that little "tail" that was there before.

I think the braid outs may be the culprit. I've been wanting to start a thread on this for a while, but I've noticed that a lot of people who are relaxed and do braid outs regularly complain about not retaining length.

sj73

I've stretched before. In 2010 I stretched every 3 months (doing braidouts and once a week flatironing) and made good progress. I may try rollersetting instead of flatironing. I braidout on dry hair 80% of the time.