Did your hair grow in layers after BC?

MicheePrings

Did your hair grow in layers after BC? (w/Pics)

Hi Ladies,:wavey: this is my first thread here on lhcf, and I wanted to to ask those who big chopped their hair after growing it out:
Did your hair grow out in layers, and how long did it take to even itself out, or did it even out at all?
I ask because I am I bit concerned about the way my hair is growing out in layers (I'm not a fan of the layered look). The top and front of my hair seems to be growing in at a slower rate than the back and sides. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to cutting it to even it out.
What were your grow out experiences?
Here are a few pics to show what I am talking about (braid out I did today)

Attachments

• IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I did not BC but my hair grows out in layers.
I suspect all hair grows out in layers due to the shape of the head. Even if all the hair grew at the same rate, based on the shape of the head it would grow out in layers.

I trim my hair to even it out, well, I did. I stopped doing that since I was cutting off length for the sake of an even look when I rarely wear my hair straight.

ravenhairedcharm

I didn't do the BC, I slowly chopped away my relaxed ends. My hair shape looks similar yours, and I don't really like it at all! I thought I was the only one. I'm not going to do anything for now I'm just going to keep letting it grow because I don't really do any "out styles" and it's not as evident when I wear a wash and go, which I've only done once before. It's like I've got a tail at the back. :( Hope you get more replies...

ETA: I just realized I have different textures so the shrinkage is different in certain areas...maybe it's the same for you.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

Welcome!

Yes my hair grew in layers after the BC (I transitioned for 10 months) and when I would do wash and go's I had a mushroom head with a mullet LOL that mullet stuck around for like 3 yrs after the bc. I could've gotten a curly haircut but since I wear my hair straight too it would've looked weird.

I don't have layers anymore. It was a combination of letting my hair grow out to waist length and trimming once a year.

ETA: beautiful hair BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lacreolegurl

I usually wear it curly, but when I do straighten, I like my long layers. The shortest are about apl. I think that my curly hair would look like a triangle if I tried to even it out.

Ogoma

I got my hair shaped up four months after my BC and my hair shrinks more on the sides than anywhere else so I have not experienced the mullet issue.

Evolving78

i typed something in this thread and now it is missing. but my hair naturally grows in layers. i cut my hair dang near bald and it still grew out in layers. i will forever have layers.

AltheaGarden

naturalmanenyc
I think you're right about that.
OP:
My hair grows out in layers, but that's because my hair is mostly growing at an even rate. Depending on the weather or how my hair is stretched out, the layers can look more pronounced or my hair can look like a circular afro.
Your hair seems to be the same length all around, to me it does anyways. Of course you can only tell if you measure yourself. Why would you worry about evening your hair? I think the shape looks great!

mslionheart

Re: Did your hair grow in layers after BC? (w/Pics)

The top and front of my hair seems to be growing in at a slower rate than the back and sides. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to cutting it to even it out.

This is exactly how my hair grows. If I were to measure my hair in inches, the measurements of the top and front would be smaller than those of the back and sides. It's been that way since I went natural 12 years ago so I'm pretty sure that's just the pattern of my hair. If I were to keep cutting to make everything even, I'd be getting rid of a lot of length.

I know you said you're not a fan of the layered look, but your hair looks so pretty in those photos.

irisak

Mine also grows in layers and a deep "V". If you look at my avi, the very middle of my hair is way longer then the sides.

NaturalEnigma

My hair grew, and is still growing in layers. In the beginning my hair was like yours OP, the hair in the back grew much longer then my front or sides. I also think my hair was longer in the back, because I have a much looser curl pattern in the back whereas my sides and top is much more kinkier and shrinks more then the back. Now my hair in the front and sides are longer then my back. I think it's the result of me not protective styling. The hair in my back probably broke off from me constantly wearing my hair out.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
:yep:
Matter of fact when my friend did my bc I instructed her to cut the back more than necessary because I would have looked crazy. It was so much longer than the rest of my hair. It continues to grow in layers.

westNDNbeauty

Like a poster already said, hair grows in layers because of the shape of our heads. You can cut it even once it is longer.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Hair generally grows evenly, but the head has an oval'ish shape. So 6" on the crown will reach your ears, while 6" at the nape will reach your shoulders. Pull out a measuring tape and do random measurements around your head. You will probably find that your hair is the generally same length all around.

MzSwift

Yup, my hair grows the exact same way. And I'm not cutting them! I like the layers now that it's longer.

When it was shorter, I would just pin the back up or pin one or both sides back.

You can see the layers in my siggy picture.

MicheePrings

Welcome!

Yes my hair grew in layers after the BC (I transitioned for 10 months) and when I would do wash and go's I had a mushroom head with a mullet LOL that mullet stuck around for like 3 yrs after the bc. I could've gotten a curly haircut but since I wear my hair straight too it would've looked weird.

I don't have layers anymore. It was a combination of letting my hair grow out to waist length and trimming once a year.

ETA: beautiful hair BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Aww shucks...thanks for the compliment
I suspected it would take atleast three years to grow out these layers or atleast untill when my curly hair is full at the shoulders. I guess for now Ive got to make nice with the mullet :ohwell:

MicheePrings

I didn't do the BC, I slowly chopped away my relaxed ends. My hair shape looks similar yours, and I don't really like it at all! I thought I was the only one. I'm not going to do anything for now I'm just going to keep letting it grow because I don't really do any "out styles" and it's not as evident when I wear a wash and go, which I've only done once before. It's like I've got a tail at the back. :( Hope you get more replies...

ETA: I just realized I have different textures so the shrinkage is different in certain areas...maybe it's the same for you.

I have the same experience with wash-n-go's because I get more shinkage in the back while the top/crown is a looser texture so the layers are not that evident. I see these layers more when I wear braid and twist outs

MicheePrings

@naturalmanenyc
I think you're right about that.
OP:
My hair grows out in layers, but that's because my hair is mostly growing at an even rate. Depending on the weather or how my hair is stretched out, the layers can look more pronounced or my hair can look like a circular afro.
Your hair seems to be the same length all around, to me it does anyways. Of course you can only tell if you measure yourself. Why would you worry about evening your hair? I think the shape looks great!

Thanks for the compliment :drunk:
The back and sides are almost an inch longer than the top/front area of my head. Because I did my BC myself after transitioning for 13 months I thought maybe I cut too much off the top. But I have measured it over that period of time after the BC and the rate of growth is lagging in the top. This was actually the reverse situation I had going on when my hair was relaxed.

MicheePrings

Re: Did your hair grow in layers after BC? (w/Pics)

This is exactly how my hair grows. If I were to measure my hair in inches, the measurements of the top and front would be smaller than those of the back and sides. It's been that way since I went natural 12 years ago so I'm pretty sure that's just the pattern of my hair. If I were to keep cutting to make everything even, I'd be getting rid of a lot of length.

I know you said you're not a fan of the layered look, but your hair looks so pretty in those photos.

Thank you very much for the compliment bluehatter

I guess I'm just still adjusting to my hair and the way it frames my face, and cutting it to even it out may not solve the shape issue long term anyway. The thing is when my hair was relaxed the majority of the length was from the crown and sides, but i am beginning to realize the crown and sides maybe experienced less breakage than the back and I always trimmed it even to maintain the shape as it was. hmm