David Wilkerson has passed on

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
David Wilkerson Killed in Texas Car Crash

May 19, 1931- April 27, 2011- David Wilkerson

David Wilkerson, the man best known for writing the autobiographical book, THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE, and also the founder of the worldwide Christian Outreach ministry for youth, TEEN CHALLENGE, was killed instantly today in a car crash in Texas. He had recently moved to Texas, where he lived for the last 13 months. He leaves behind four adult children, two sons and two daughters.

Details of the accident are not yet available, but THE FREEDOMIST has learned that his wife, Gwen, has been life-lifted to a hospital in critical condition. THE FREEDOMIST asks our readers to pray for Gwen and the Family of David Wilkerson that must now come to grips with this sudden and terrible loss.

I knew by the sound of his voice two years ago he was ready to go home. Thank the Father for His work through His faithful servant.

Rainbow Dash

Sad. Prayers for his family. He was a man passionate about the Lord. I loved to hear his messages on holiness and righteousness.

Nice & Wavy

I just read this and was going to come here and start a thread about it.

His ministry was a blessing. This is a shock. I am so saddened and am very prayerful for his wife and family and all those who were apart of his ministry. He will truly be missed.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Praying for Wilkerson's family, and for the family of the other driver, who is also hospitalized. Only God Almighty knows.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
He posted this in his blog that very morning. I wonder if he knew...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011
WHEN ALL MEANS FAIL

To believe when all means fail is exceedingly pleasing to God and is most acceptable. Jesus said to Thomas, “You have believed because you have seen, but blessed are those that do believe and have not seen” (John 20:29).

Blessed are those who believe when there is no evidence of an answer to prayer—who trust beyond hope when all means have failed.

Someone has come to the place of hopelessness—the end of hope—the end of all means. A loved one is facing death and doctors give no hope. Death seems inevitable. Hope is gone. The miracle prayed for is not happening.

That is when Satan’s hordes come to attack your mind with fear, anger, overwhelming questions: “Where is your God now? You prayed until you had no tears left. You fasted. You stood on promises. You trusted.”

Blasphemous thoughts will be injected into your mind: “Prayer failed. Faith failed. Don’t quit on God—just do not trust him anymore. It doesn’t pay!”

Even questioning God’s existence will be injected into your mind. These have been the devices of Satan for centuries. Some of the godliest men and women who ever lived were under such demonic attacks.

To those going through the valley and shadow of death, hear this word: Weeping will last through some dark, awful nights—and in that darkness you will soon hear the Father whisper, “I am with you. I cannot tell you why right now, but one day it will all make sense. You will see it was all part of my plan. It was no accident. It was no failure on your part. Hold fast. Let me embrace you in your hour of pain.”

Beloved, God has never failed to act but in goodness and love. When all means fail—his love prevails. Hold fast to your faith. Stand fast in his Word. There is no other hope in this world.

This is from his son:

Friday, April 29, 2011
by Gary Wilkerson

“David served the purposes of God in his generation, then he died” (Acts 13:36).

On Wednesday afternoon my father, David Wilkerson, passed away in a car accident. We grieve the loss of a beloved father, a faithful husband and a holy man of God. My mother, Gwen, his wife of 57 years, was in the car also, but we are told she will recover fully.

Dad’s 60-plus years of ministry have impacted the lives of those closest to him and extended to millions around the world. Today we feel a personal loss, but at the same time we rejoice knowing Dad lived life to the fullest, obeying God with devotion and loving Jesus radically.

He was known for his unlimited faith. He believed God could change the lives of gang members and transform the most desperate drug addicts. He believed that a dynamic church could be launched in the heart of Times Square, New York City. He believed he could be a man who loved his wife and children well. And he did.

Dad was not one for fanfare, acclaim or ceremony. He turned down invitations to meet with world leaders yet would give everything he owned to support a poor orphan or a widow in distress.

Like King David of old, Dad served God’s purposes in his generation. He preached with uncompromising passion and relentless grace. He wrote with amazing insight, clarity and conviction. He ran his race well and when his work was done, he was called home.

I don’t think my father would have retired well. I don’t think he was one to sit in a rocking chair and reminisce about times past. I believe that Jesus, knowing this, graciously called him home.

Dad’s last mission on earth was to be an advocate for the poorest of the poor—to provide relief and support for hungry children and widows and orphans. After founding Teen Challenge, World Challenge and Times Square Church, he sought to feed starving children in the most impoverished countries in the world. Today, Please Pass the Bread is saving the lives of thousands of children, through 56 outreaches in 8 countries.

Like King David of old, after having served God’s purpose, he died. I know if my father were able to encourage you with his words today, he would invite you to give your all to Jesus, to love God deeply and to give yourself away to the needs of others.

The works he began outlive him. We can all attest to his impacting us—not only in his preaching, writing and founding of world-changing ministries, but in his love, devotion, compassion and ability to stir our faith for greater works.

In his last recorded sermon, his voice had a renewed vigor I had not heard in a while: Losing The Anointing - Part 1 and Part 2

Oh Lord, I hope to meet this child of Yours during the Marriage Feast.

Sesi

Believe it or not i just found out yesterday. i am still in shock. while my heart goes out to his family, i can't help but thank God for an amazing man whose walk with God is an example to all of us. For me he was a modern day example of what fighting a good fight looks like. Oh....such sad news. but "joyful" at the same time. He rests with Jesus.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Sharing an update on Wilkerson. There's a public memorial this Saturday in NY that will be streamed live on Times Square Church online, for all who are interested.

A public memorial for Wilkerson is scheduled for Saturday, May 14 at 2 p.m. at Times Square Church at 237 West 51st street in Manhattan. Wilkerson founded the church in 1987. Simultaneous translation will be available in Arabic, Chinese, French, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. The memorial service will be streamed live on the Times Square Church web site.

Wilkerson, founder of World Challenge Ministries, was killed Wednesday in a car accident in East Texas on April 27. Wilkerson was killed in a head-on collision with a tractor trailer while traveling east on U.S. 175. Read more about Wilkerson’s life and ministry.

Source: http://www.charismamag.com/index.php/news/30843-wilkerson-family-gathers-for-texas-funeral