Cutting Your Hair to Make it Grow???

HairPhoenix

There are so many hair stylist out there who advise women to cut their hair to get it to grow. I have seen and heard this too many times today. I'm sorry but it makes me angry everytime I hear this garbage advice!! :whip: How can they justify this? :mad: We all know that our hair grows from the follicles in our scalps. The cells that come together to form your hair grow in your follicles. They do not build up and attach to your ends!!! So how in the world does cutting it at the ends make it grow??? :eek:

I think more than anything it just makes the growth more apparent. Yes, trimming your ends to even them up makes them look better. And if you even up the length all the way around, your ends as a whole will be thicker.

Can anyone explain this concept of how cutting makes our hair grow???

Divine Inspiration

All the logic I've ever heard to support this has been distorted. It's obviously a bunch of malarky...maybe somebody can come up with a half-way reasonable explanation, but I've yet to hear one.

Sistaslick

somehow the math just doesn't add up to me.:lol: I've yet to see constant subtraction put someone on the plus side.

I can see trimming for eveness, taking off damage, and wanting a more polished look but trimming in order to grow...nuh uh.:grin:

MizAvalon

Girl, nothing these stupid stylists say or do surprises me anymore. I think I'll bump up my 'Why are so many hairstylists incompetent?' thread. It gave some insight about why so many of them are clueless.

ThursdayGirl

It doesn't help grow...but it does help in retention. You cut off the splits that can help to weaken the hair. Weak spots along the hair shaft can break later. That's all that it is.

hairmaster

I have to step in.. as a PHD I have found that woman that take the time to pay attention to getting their hair cut/trimmed on a regular bases, made their hair grow. It also if done right makes the split end keep from locking together.

HairPhoenix

hairmaster said:
I have to step in.. as a PHD I have found that woman that take the time to pay attention to getting their hair cut/trimmed on a regular bases, made their hair grow. It also if done right makes the split end keep from locking together.

Please elaborate because I really want to understand this. I understand that trimming helps to get rid of "dead" ends and evens up the ends.

1) How does cutting the ends of hair shafts stimulate cell production in the hair follicles?

2) How does not cutting off the ends of hair shafts stop the production of cells in the hair follicles?

The probability of a split end running from the end of a strand of hair, for instance a 4" strand, and actually continuing it's split down to the hair base is extremely low due to microscopic variations in the hair's cuticle and cortex. A split end acts very similarly to a hang nail or the effect of ripping an ear of corn down the shaft of the stalk. It will eventually taper off, after causing some damage of course.

I think women who take good care of their hair make it grow. Otherwise, how do you explain all those women out there who go to the salon on a regular basis, get trims on a regular basis, and yet their hair stays short and in some cases ragedy?

I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm just trying to understand the logic in your reasoning. And the reasoning of most hair stylist.

MeechUK

MeechUK
HairPhoenix said:
There are so many hair stylist out there who advise women to cut their hair to get it to grow. I have seen and heard this too many times today. I'm sorry but it makes me angry everytime I hear this garbage advice!! :whip: How can they justify this? :mad: We all know that our hair grows from the follicles in our scalps. The cells that come together to form your hair grow in your follicles. They do not build up and attach to your ends!!! So how in the world does cutting it at the ends make it grow??? :eek:

I think more than anything it just makes the growth more apparent. Yes, trimming your ends to even them up makes them look better. And if you even up the length all the way around, your ends as a whole will be thicker.

Can anyone explain this concept of how cutting makes our hair grow???

HairPhoenix,
I get annoyed when I hear this too! Cutting your hair helps to retain length, because it gets rid of split ends which if left uncut eventually spread down the length of the hair shaft, and break the strand. Cutting or dusting eliminates split ends which our hair is prone to, as well as good hair care techniques, moisture and TLC are what grows our hair!

MeechUK

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I find that regular trims help my hair grow...not from the scalp of course, but it helps keep the length that I have. Otherwise my hair breaks off from the ends and stays the same length or even gets shorter than it was. But everyone's hair is different.

Softresses

I agree with what the other ladies have stated.

here is why;

My professor of Anatomy and Physiology (who wrote the second best A&P book in the WORLD) told our class that the "hair's GROWTH is NOT effected by cutting. The trimming keeps the ends from splitting."

I think that when people see the retention of their length, which definately will come if the hair is not breaking, they think that the fact that their hair IS getting longer is BECAUSE it is being cut. The fact is that it is simply being kept from breaking off.

Softresses

Last edited:

blackbarbie

I used to have a stylist that said this (I would get my ends clipped every 8 weeks whenever I got a perm), but the stylists may not be explaining it the way they really mean.

Everyone's hair grows - although at different rates. Your hair is going to grow whether you get your hair cut/clipped, or whatever. If you have split ends, which eventually travel up the shaft and break the strand at some point, you won't think that your hair is growing b/c you are not retaining the length and not actually SEEING that it looks like it's growing. What the stylist is saying is that if you keep the split ends cut, you will be able to see more results of your growth, i.e. length.

So maybe what she should have said was that clipping ends/cutting the hair gets the ends in shape to retain growth.

HairPhoenix

blackbarbie said:
I used to have a stylist that said this (I would get my ends clipped every 8 weeks whenever I got a perm), but the stylists may not be explaining it the way they really mean.

Everyone's hair grows - although at different rates. Your hair is going to grow whether you get your hair cut/clipped, or whatever. If you have split ends, which eventually travel up the shaft and break the strand at some point, you won't think that your hair is growing b/c you are not retaining the length and not actually SEEING that it looks like it's growing. What the stylist is saying is that if you keep the split ends cut, you will be able to see more results of your growth, i.e. length.

So maybe what she should have said was that clipping ends/cutting the hair gets the ends in shape to retain growth.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :yay:

For those of you who said that cutting/trimming RETAINS the length, I'm agreeing with you. That's exactly what I am talking about. I totally agree that cutting/trimming is a damage control method.

Like I said, cutting/trimming DOES NOT make your hair grow and there is no science to prove otherwise. Hair will continue to grow even if you have breakage. It's just a matter of controlling the breakage, which includes overall hair care methods (not necessarily using scissors), that will allow you to have long hair.

That's all I wanted. :thumbsup: So everytime I hear anyone tell me to cut/trim my hair so that it will grow, I will continue to correct them!

LovelyZ

HairPhoenix said:
Like I said, cutting/trimming DOES NOT make your hair grow and there is no science to prove otherwise. Hair will continue to grow even if you have breakage. It's just a matter of controlling the breakage, which includes overall hair care methods (not necessarily using scissors), that will allow you to have long hair.
This is so true. For me regular trims proved counterproductive. I wasn't retaining my ends by cutting them!!!! I now do other things to prevent breakage (deep conditioners, protective styles); things that prevent getting split ends in the first place.

Lucia

ITA, moisturizing, and conditioning treatments have really done good for my hair esp. CW and leaving shampoo to the side. I do trimm only when i see some ends i don't trim all the time and cut off my progress.

Mizani_Mrs

I believe that no matter how much or how often you cut or trim....you will have split ends regardless. So just get used to it. The purpose of your trim should be to keep your hair even, not to rid yourself of all splits present. My hair breaks whether it is trimmed or not, Because my hair breaks where it is weak whether a split end is present or not. Which is probably why i choose not to trim that often. Just my humble opinion....

hairmaster

HairPhoenix said:
Please elaborate because I really want to understand this. I understand that trimming helps to get rid of "dead" ends and evens up the ends.

1) How does cutting the ends of hair shafts stimulate cell production in the hair follicles?

2) How does not cutting off the ends of hair shafts stop the production of cells in the hair follicles?

The probability of a split end running from the end of a strand of hair, for instance a 4" strand, and actually continuing it's split down to the hair base is extremely low due to microscopic variations in the hair's cuticle and cortex. A split end acts very similarly to a hang nail or the effect of ripping an ear of corn down the shaft of the stalk. It will eventually taper off, after causing some damage of course.

I think women who take good care of their hair make it grow. Otherwise, how do you explain all those women out there who go to the salon on a regular basis, get trims on a regular basis, and yet their hair stays short and in some cases ragedy?

I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm just trying to understand the logic in your reasoning. And the reasoning of most hair stylist.

Stimulation of the scalp increases the flow of blood to the hair shaft pull the hair out of the shaft and you have to start all over with the growth.
Split ends lock hairshafts together you run a comb or brush through the hair and end up pulling hair out or the hair shafts split more till one of the shafts lets go. If you feel friction when combing you have split end. having the end cut off keeps you from loosing hair and damage. Second having ends trimmed stimulates the scalp by the hairdresser comb through the scalp stimulates the scalp, and makes them look as the health of the scalp and the hair. The hair itself is dead it does not hrt when you cut it so you are right the hair grows out from the scalp, keeping the scalps clean and able to breath will grow hair.

Lady_Lioness

HairPhoenix said:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :yay:

For those of you who said that cutting/trimming RETAINS the length, I'm agreeing with you. That's exactly what I am talking about. I totally agree that cutting/trimming is a damage control method.

That's all I wanted. :thumbsup: So everytime I hear anyone tell me to cut/trim my hair so that it will grow, I will continue to correct them!
Very well said:clapping:...I agree with constant correct haircare methods...your hair would achieve the length you desire...not by cutting or trimming...it's just a myth...and it's sad that to this day many believe it's true.

ekomba

i do believe that when you start with a fresh head of hair, like shaving the whole thing you can make the hair grow faster when its rid of the junk and everything. Since my big chop i found that my growth rate has changed and thrive more. i dont know if its because i cut it and i m now natural. But as far as cutting length or trimming ends, i dont think it make your hair grow i think its more esthetic like thinning of ends, or evenness. I shaved my hair in a big chop 6months ago granted i take vits et al, but my hair is 7-8inches in 6months starting from nothing. I havent touched a pair of scissors in 6 months, i dont cut i dont trim and i observe now a phenomenal growth rate of 2"per month with vits and everything added. I retain all i grow. When i used to perm and trim and no vits i would have 0.25 to 0.5 inch per month. i notice that trims make the hair look good but i intend to only get one when i reach my hair goal of waistlength even if its mean taking out the last 2-3"of hair. But even with my bad ends i never seen a hair travel all the way to the hair shaft it usually be the most like 1-2"

HairPhoenix

hairmaster said:
Stimulation of the scalp increases the flow of blood to the hair shaft pull the hair out of the shaft and you have to start all over with the growth.
Split ends lock hairshafts together you run a comb or brush through the hair and end up pulling hair out or the hair shafts split more till one of the shafts lets go. If you feel friction when combing you have split end. having the end cut off keeps you from loosing hair and damage.
Second having ends trimmed stimulates the scalp by the hairdresser comb through the scalp stimulates the scalp, and makes them look as the health of the scalp and the hair. The hair itself is dead it does not hrt when you cut it so you are right the hair grows out from the scalp, keeping the scalps clean and able to breath will grow hair.

??? Whoa, this is way murky!

I'm with you on the stimulation of scalp and increased blood flow. Help me if I am wrong. Combing through the hair stimulates the scalp at any time, NOT JUST by the hairdresser when "having ends trimmed". :confused: You will always feel friction when you run a comb through hair, otherwise you would be running a comb through air. Even then there is still friction against the comb. :cool:

As far as the split ends fusing hair shafts together, combing when this happens will not always result in one of the shafts being pulled out at the follicle. Sometimes the hair shaft will break at some other weak point.

But all in all we agree that cutting/trimming does not make the hair grow!

Thank you, ladies!!

Eiano

exaclty.

Cutting your hair doesn't MAKE it grow. It just helps in retaining length indirectly so the hairs don't split. and break off.

pet

When people say that cutting your hair makes it grow, their just saying that if you cut off the split ends before it does any major damage, you can keep the length that you have. Once you have done that, when your hair continues to grow, none will break off. People just word it the wrong way.

Samaria

I havent gotten the science of cutting your hair makes it grow, but I will say that I for one grew my hair without cutting my ends, my hair was shabby as they come, but with the right amount of protein, moisture, condtioning with the right products, with my raggedy ends, my hair grew to where it is now. I've cut just a lil bit off simply due to the appearance part, I dont want ugly ends on long hair, but as far as it have something to do with my hair growing faster or slower, IDK bout that..

PrettyBrownEyes

ThursdayGirl said:
It doesn't help grow...but it does help in retention. You cut off the splits that can help to weaken the hair. Weak spots along the hair shaft can break later. That's all that it is.

I agree with this.

hairmaster

WOW This has created a lot of discussion. I amsorry if I miss lead any one by saying as a PHD which means Proffessional Hair Dresser. some woman do call me a hair doctor. Cutting your hair does not make your hair grow, but have you noticed that if you have a short style and 6-8 weeks latter you have to cut it agian to maintain the style?

RainbowCurls

I'm wondering if there is any truth in this.
When I cut my hair is always seems to grow faster, but that could just be reduced breakage due to better ends.

But then there is always the moon phases thing...

HairPhoenix

I really didn't mean to come across as a nit-picky, know-it-all, ******. Because I'm not a know-it-all. :look: (Nit-picky, ******... sure. :smirk: ) I just hate it when common misconceptions go unchecked and people go around believing in them verbatim. Such as people going around thinking that ringworm is an actual worm under their skin that go there through the dirt under their fingernails. Yes, there are people out there who believe that. :eek:

This particular misconception about hair growth sets me off. I just wish hairstylist, and other people, would say exactly what they really mean. Sure, they may actually mean that cutting/trimming helps to retain length (which I wholeheartedly agree with), but that's not what they say. Since that is not what they say, people who don't know any better will believe it. I have known so many women who actually believe that all they have to do to keep their hair growing is to get it cut. While they rely on that information they totally neglect to take care of their scalps, to cut back on the heat, to eat right, to take nutritional supplements if necessary, and to balance the stress in their lives.

Just look at all the hair journals and albums in here. It wasn't the hair cuts that did it for these women, it's the overall haircare regimens. :yep:

I apologize for being prickly. I apologize for offending anyone. I do not apologize for opening eyes and dispelling this misconception. Happy Hair Growing. And Peace to all of you. :cool:

Isis

hairmaster said:
WOW This has created a lot of discussion. I amsorry if I miss lead any one by saying as a PHD which means Proffessional Hair Dresser. some woman do call me a hair doctor. Cutting your hair does not make your hair grow, but have you noticed that if you have a short style and 6-8 weeks latter you have to cut it agian to maintain the style?
That's because there is new growth, not because the hair was cut. If it's left alone and cared for properly, the short style will become a long style.

hotshot

ekomba said:
i do believe that when you start with a fresh head of hair, like shaving the whole thing you can make the hair grow faster when its rid of the junk and everything. Since my big chop i found that my growth rate has changed and thrive more. i dont know if its because i cut it and i m now natural. But as far as cutting length or trimming ends, i dont think it make your hair grow i think its more esthetic like thinning of ends, or evenness. I shaved my hair in a big chop 6months ago granted i take vits et al, but my hair is 7-8inches in 6months starting from nothing. I havent touched a pair of scissors in 6 months, i dont cut i dont trim and i observe now a phenomenal growth rate of 2"per month with vits and everything added. I retain all i grow. When i used to perm and trim and no vits i would have 0.25 to 0.5 inch per month. i notice that trims make the hair look good but i intend to only get one when i reach my hair goal of waistlength even if its mean taking out the last 2-3"of hair. But even with my bad ends i never seen a hair travel all the way to the hair shaft it usually be the most like 1-2"
some ethiopian and middle eastern folk believe in shaving the head to make it grow longer and thicker.
plus is believe in lunar cycles, and trimming at certain fertile times encourages growth. i do this with my fingernails also. just filed them down on the 4th and they're already growing back noticably longer.

An_Original_Copy

i get tired of this advice too. seven yrs. ago i did this and my hair seemed to take even longer to grow back to the length it started out to the begin with, and i got split ends like you wouldn't believe! I haven't done that in about two years and my hair grows faster, and i haven't gotten split ends for at least two years!!!