Cowashing just isn't for me

preciousjewel76

Well ladies, I think I'm going to have to break up with cowashing.:( I've been doing it weekly since October, and while *I* like doing it, I don’t think my hair likes it. The whole process just seems to make my hair too mushy. I cowashed on Tuesday night, and since then I’ve noticed stretchy, broken hairs whenever I try to style my hair (I’m currently wearing a phony pony). No matter what conditioner I use, cowashing just really seems to disrupt my moisture/protein balance and lead to breakage for me. My hair really likes protein. Plus, I think it's just too much manipulation for my strands. I'll stick to my weekly shampoo/DC for a while and see how that goes.

So, here's my "Dear John" letter to cowashing;) :

"You know CW, we've had some really good times together. We tried so many new things together for the first time – like Suave and V05 conditioners. Oh, that was fun! Remember all that time we spent in CVS, Walgreens, and Target “conditioner shopping”? I’ll never forget that. But let’s be honest here: you’re great, but you’re just not right for me. No, no, don’t look at me that way. I really hate to hurt you like this. I just think it’s time we go our separate ways. But who knows, maybe we’ll bump into each other someday down the road. I just think that you’d be a lot better off with somebody else. I need more structure in my hair right now.”

Proudpiscean

:lol: @ dear john letter! I guess it's true that everything doesn't work for everbody. My hair is very dry and it has thrived with Co-washes! I guess the message is do what works for you. :)

AKA-Tude

The Dear John letter was too cute!

But I feel the same way- my hair just did not like it!

So I'm back to reg.wash-condish.

Glad to know I wasn't in this boat all by my lonesome.

CAPlush

My hair is like yours, it prefers to have a protein conditioner every time I wash. When I have tried deep conditioning with Humectress or Elasta DPR I end up with tons of breakage. :perplexed I don't think I will ever co-wash, unless my hair changes. I have never over-proteined my hair, but I have over-moisturized before.

preciousjewel76

amr501 said:
:lol: @ dear john letter! I guess it's true that everything doesn't work for everbody. My hair is very dry and it has thrived with Co-washes! I guess the message is do what works for you. :)

Pretty much! I was so gung-ho for cowashing when I first joined, that I don't think I even considered whether or not my hair needed it. I'm obviously still learning how to listen to my mane.:look:

preciousjewel76

CAPlush said:
My hair is like yours, it prefers to have a protein conditioner every time I wash. When I have tried deep conditioning with Humectress or Elasta DPR I end up with tons of breakage. :perplexed I don't think I will ever co-wash, unless my hair changes. I have never over-proteined my hair, but I have over-moisturized before.

What protein conditioners are you using? I just got the Aubrey Organics GPB, and I really like that. I also have some Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise. Any others that you really liked? All of the rest of my deep conditoners are moisture-based.

navsegda

AKA-Tude said:
The Dear John letter was too cute!

But I feel the same way- my hair just did not like it!

So I'm back to reg.wash-condish.

Glad to know I wasn't in this boat all by my lonesome.

What she said. My hair loves shampoo and after trying co-washing, I ditched it. I do CWC's though (condition-wash-condition)'s and my hair loves those.

C

chica_canella

Ok, I really haven't tried co-washing much being that I've been in braids but I think my hair likes a scalp washing, then washing of the hair with 3/4 conditioner and 1/4 shampoo and then deep condition for a few hours.:)

CAPlush

preciousjewel76 said:
What protein conditioners are you using? I just got the Aubrey Organics GPB, and I really like that. I also have some Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise. Any others that you really liked? All of the rest of my deep conditoners are moisture-based.

My current staples are Motions CPR, ORS Replenish, and Roux Mendex. I use one of these 3 every time I wash or else I get a comb full of hair:( . I use each of them for something different, the CPR is for breakage, the ORS for dryness, and the Mendex when I am pressed for time or don't have any problems (it sort of gently softens and strengthens). I also like Aveda DR but that stuff is just expensive, it can't be a staple!!!

I really need to get the GPB because I know I would love it. I will when I finish my Aveda.

dicapr

preciousjewel76 said:
Well ladies, I think I'm going to have to break up with cowashing.:( I've been doing it weekly since October, and while *I* like doing it, I don’t think my hair likes it. The whole process just seems to make my hair too mushy. I cowashed on Tuesday night, and since then I’ve noticed stretchy, broken hairs whenever I try to style my hair (I’m currently wearing a phony pony). No matter what conditioner I use, cowashing just really seems to disrupt my moisture/protein balance and lead to breakage for me. My hair really likes protein. Plus, I think it's just too much manipulation for my strands. I'll stick to my weekly shampoo/DC for a while and see how that goes.

So, here's my "Dear John" letter to cowashing;) :

"You know CW, we've had some really good times together. We tried so many new things together for the first time – like Suave and V05 conditioners. Oh, that was fun! Remember all that time we spent in CVS, Walgreens, and Target “conditioner shopping”? I’ll never forget that. But let’s be honest here: you’re great, but you’re just not right for me. No, no, don’t look at me that way. I really hate to hurt you like this. I just think it’s time we go our separate ways. But who knows, maybe we’ll bump into each other someday down the road. I just think that you’d be a lot better off with somebody else. I need more structure in my hair right now.”

That happened to me the first time I tried cowashing. I revisited it a few months later and added a mild protein every two weeks. Bye-bye mushy hair! I think if you co-wash you have use protein more often.

preciousjewel76

CAPlush said:
My current staples are Motions CPR, ORS Replenish, and Roux Mendex. I use one of these 3 every time I wash or else I get a comb full of hair:( . I use each of them for something different, the CPR is for breakage, the ORS for dryness, and the Mendex when I am pressed for time or don't have any problems (it sort of gently softens and strengthens). I also like Aveda DR but that stuff is just expensive, it can't be a staple!!!

I really need to get the GPB because I know I would love it. I will when I finish my Aveda.

My hair loves the ORS Replenishing Paks. I'm thinking of also trying out the Mane N Tail shampoo and conditioner this weekend since it has protein. I liked the GPB; I actually mixed it with some Lustrasilk Cholesterol (1/3 GPB, 2/3 Lustrasilk) to deep condition last week.

CurliDiva

Sorry that this did not work for you - but my hair LOVES con washing! I have not use shampoo in about 3 months.

preciousjewel76

mysweetevie said:
It wasnt for me in the winter maybe due to lack of humity. Did you try it in the summer?

No, I joined the board in October, so I haven't tried it in summertime yet. But I think the problem is that it moisturizes my hair TOO much, regardless of the season.

cheri_flava74

Co-washing isn't for me either. I learned this when I went natural. My hair would start to feel hard and coated from applying conditioner on top of conditioner each day. Please believe me when I tell you I went through alot of different conditioners trying to find out what works but nothing ever worked. Too much moisture is bad for my hair, it causes it to break. I just came to terms with CWing not being for me. Now when I shampoo and condition my hair is much happier and softer.

cmw45

My hair hated cowashing when I was texturized...LOVED protein treatments...now that I am natural...my hair LOVES cowashes...hates protein...I think everyones hair needs change...and that you should do what works best for your hair.

Bosslady1

navsegda said:
What she said. My hair loves shampoo and after trying co-washing, I ditched it. I do CWC's though (condition-wash-condition)'s and my hair loves those.

Ditto...CWC is what I do too.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
dicapr said:
I think if you co-wash you have use protein more often.

I found that to be the case with me so I just started deep conditioning twice a week....so far so good. :yep:

kally

Same here. As yummy and healthy for the hair as it sounds. It just dries my hair out to bad. When I first came across this site, I tried it for about a month and my hair just did not like it.

shunta

kally said:
Same here. As yummy and healthy for the hair as it sounds. It just dries my hair out to bad. When I first came across this site, I tried it for about a month and my hair just did not like it.
Same here :ohwell:

wheezy807

dicapr said:
That happened to me the first time I tried cowashing. I revisited it a few months later and added a mild protein every two weeks. Bye-bye mushy hair! I think if you co-wash you have use protein more often.

BINGO!!!!! I really think this is your problem. If your hair is mushy and stretchy, this is definitely a sign of over miosturizing. Throw a mild protein conditioner in there somewhere. But you have to be careful to keep the moisture/protein balance. Because if your hair becomes like straw then it is too much protein. Sistaslick has a thread out there somewhere. Is it Breakage 101? Anyone knows what i'm talkin' about? Maybe someone will post the link. Also you should visit the thread on " If you feel like your doing everything right but still have breakage, click here." SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST LINKS!:ohwell: But anywho, try it and keep us posted.

preciousjewel76

wheezy807 said:
BINGO!!!!! I really think this is your problem. If your hair is mushy and stretchy, this is definitely a sign of over miosturizing. Throw a mild protein conditioner in there somewhere. But you have to be careful to keep the moisture/protein balance. Because if your hair becomes like straw then it is too much protein. Sistaslick has a thread out there somewhere. Is it Breakage 101? Anyone knows what i'm talkin' about? Maybe someone will post the link. Also you should visit the thread on " If you feel like your doing everything right but still have breakage, click here." SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST LINKS!:ohwell: But anywho, try it and keep us posted.

Thanks. I use a medium protein (Aubrey Organics GPB, Nexxus Emergencee, Africa's Best Hair Mayo) 2-3 times per month, and my daily moisturizer (Africa's Best Carrot Oil Creme) contains a little protein. I may try cowashing one more time this week, using Mane N Tail conditioner. I'm on the MNT bandwagon. I'll let you all know how it goes!:)

jjjackie

I don't cowash either. I tired it and my hair hated it. Plus I wear my hair in twist so my hair looked fuzzy everyday (not a good look).:p

baby42

:drunk: :spinning: :wallbash: my hair act like i was killing it so i had to stop it just want to be wash was once a week:confused: and i try and try it still said no well you did write a dear john i just walk a way :lol:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Don't worry - my hair doesn't like co-washing either. It needs shampoo! LOL :lol:
co-washing made my hair greasy on the outside and brittle and dry on the inside. I never had so many broken hairs before!