CORNROWS: Will Matting Occur?

miss_a

LADIES:

Hola!

I've decided to give my hair a rest--and tomorrow, plan on letting my stylist give me a relaxer and loosely cornrow only my hair.

I've looked through all our LCHF threads, regarding cornrows and am wondering--can I keep my loose cornrows for 2 weeks? I plan to workout everyday and sweat excessively.

Will my sweat cause my hair to mat?

Any insight would be super appreciated.

~A.

For only two weeks at a time I don't forsee any matting occurring. As long as you wrap it at night to control fly away hairs you should be fine. Size of the cornrows matter too, but I don't think you should worry.

i agree two weeks is fine, ive never keep mine in for less than that and have had no problems, but if you are getting your hair braided then why get a relaxer? I know you said loose, but seems like you might as well wait for the relaxer after the two weeks to me unless you were planning to do a braidout or something. :perplexed

Ladies--muchas gracias for your advice.

I'm cornrowing due to a setback from a terrible hairstylist--and aside from cutting all this hair off a la Kelis; I'm cornrowing and wearing a wig.

I just don't want to deal with my hair anymore. So I'm on the "loose cornrow and wig challenge" for 6 months.

Cornrowing freshly relaxed hair is a no no. Your hair will be too fragile.:nono:

Really? (Deep Sigh) Oh no... :-(

I was hoping real loose cornrows would work.

EDIT: How long should one wait, after relaxing to cornrow--using only their own hair?

The least amount of time that is generally understood is 2 weeks post relaxer, but I would wait at least a month. That way, you will have some NG there and the stress on your hair will decrease. I am not an expert, but I have been a victim of hair damage more times than I can remember.:ohwell:

Hi.

A few things stand out.

I don't think it will matt in two weeks. I do think you can do loose cornrows after a relaxer without problems. As long as they are loose.

But it you're going to workout and sweat a lot. Loose cornrows may not last for two weeks.

But then again, it is difficult to determine your results without knowing more about your hair.

How long is it and what is your hair type?

Longer hair will hold loose cornrows better.
Thicker hair will hold loose cornrows better.

Back