Conditioners used after protein treatments....

daviine

On my next wash, I plan on using Lamaur Bone Marrow Teatment. I wanted to follow it up with Pantene Smooth and Sleek. Is this okay? It doesn't really seem to me that Smooth and Sleek is a moisturizing conditioner based on the ingredients.

Is the goal to moisturize hair or just soften it?

Does anyone else follow up their protein treatments with Pantene s&s or other instant conditioner? Is it really necessary for me to use a deep moisturizing treatment? If not, is there ever a time when protein must be followed by a deep moisturizing treatment?

Thanks.

Allandra

When I use a protein (Aubrey GPB), I don't always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I think it all depends on how the hair feels afterwards. Is Lamaur Bone Marrow stronger than Aubrey GPB? A lot of us have soft hair after using Aubrey GPB.

Aerie17

I think that if you use a heavy-duty protein conditioner that it is very important to use a deep moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Protein strengthens the hair and tends to be a little drying in my experience. If you are using a milder protein conditioner and your hair feels okay after using it, then you may be able to get by with a quickie moisture product. I think Supergirl posted the list of protein conditioners and what they do. The heavy hitter was the human hair keratin conditioner, if I remember correctly. I think most keratin conditioners (including animal types) are strong and drying and therefore require the more intense moisturizers be used afterward. I don't know what is in the bone marrow conditioner. Sometimes the description on the lable as to what it will do for your hair will give you a clue as to how strong it is. Does it say it will moisturize as well as strengthen? If so, then perhaps you can skip the heavy duty moisturizing treatment.

Ahhh, what we do for beauty...

Honi

There is no board.
When I use Aphogee or a protein reconstructor I always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. My hair always feels kinda stiff after using them so this is why I use it. I guess it depends on how your hair feels like Allandra stated.

Tracy

I always follow with a moisturizing conditioner as well Daviine (unless I use Keraphix) and Pantene is one of the most common choices. I almost never "deep" condition with moisturizing conditioners after I've done protein. The follow up conditoner stays on for 5 minutes, tops, and it's usually a product like Pantene, or something else equally as "regular". I think it depends on how you hair reacts to protein. My hair loves it. It gives it body, fullness, and strength and rarely goes brittle on me after a treatment. Because of that, my follow up conditioner doesn't have to pack a huge punch. I just go for a softening and smoothing effect as my most common side effect with protein is that my hair feels a tad rough. Pantene takes care of that - no problem.

daviine

Thanks ladies.

Allandra--I haven't used GPB in years and I haven;t tried the Bone Marrow yet so I can't compare. I bought a sample. I do plan on retrying the GPB when I finish up some of the conditioners I have here.

Aerie and Honi --thanks for replying. Lamaur Bone Marrow has hydrolyzed collagen in it and it does claim to be moisturizing as well.

Tracy----That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll follow it up with Pantene.

Britt

Davine, I agree with Tracy. Bone Marrow isnt really a strong protein conditioner to the point where u need to leave a moisturizing conditioner on it for a long time afterwards. Have u ever tried the Dominican rinses, I think this would preyy god to use afterwards because they really smooth and soften hair.

beana3

I use the pantene smooth and sleek after all my protein condits.. hard core or reconstructive. I only leave it on for 5-10 mins, comb it thru, and rinse, much like Tracy and Britt.

My reasoning behind the S&S use is that hard core proetin treatments tend to leave my hair tangly and resistent to comb(as far as softness).. S&S detangles and softens which is what i equate with moisture in my book.

lunalight7

Daviine,
The Bone Marrow leaves my hair a bit rough as Tracy said but not Hard and crispy. I use Humectress afterwards.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
I usually follow up Keraphix with Humecto to get that extra soft feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may try this seeing as I have a 5 pound tub of Humecto that is not even 1/2 used.