comfused- henna/indigo??

naturaline

iv got a box of 'zarqa black henna' for 99p but the ingredients read- 'ground indigo leaves' so is the henna or indigo???:confused:

what will the results be like?? -will it be really black hair?? i wanted the red but the shop didnt have it. im goin to look around for it.

black_henna2_small.jpg

Last edited:
Please be careful. Many of the experts here will definitely help you with this. I do know from reading the many posts that you have to be really careful with henna.

If I remember correctly, Henna should have only 1 ingredient:Lawsonia inermis

When I first decided to Henna, I went to every indian store in the area reading the ingredients. I saw that lady on one of the boxes in the store...

naturaline said:
iv got a box of 'zarqa black henna' for 99p but the ingredients read- 'ground indigo leaves' so is the henna or indigo???:confused:

what will the results be like?? -will it be really black hair?? i wanted the red but the shop didnt have it. im goin to look around for it.

black_henna2_small.jpg

Oh my gosh, you got indigo for 99 cents?! :eek: You are sooooo lucky!! What you purchased is pure indigo. I have seen that package on the wholesale site where Sareca gets her indigo. Sometimes indigo is labeled as "black henna" and sometimes the scary chemical stuff has that same term. But you should be safe with that brand as that is 100% indigo. Be sure to strand test tho. Here's a link with more info from the vendor:

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_henna_dye.htm

Indigo is for color not conditioning. It'll take you dark brown when mixed with henna or black over previously hennaed hair. So you will at some point want to pick up some henna too. HTH :)

Priestess said:
Oh my gosh, you got indigo for 99 cents?! :eek: You are sooooo lucky!! What you purchased is pure indigo. I have seen that package on the wholesale site where Sareca gets her indigo. Sometimes indigo is labeled as "black henna" and sometimes the scary chemical stuff has that same term. But you should be safe with that brand as that is 100% indigo. Be sure to strand test tho. Here's a link with more info from the vendor:

Indigo is for color not conditioning. It'll take you dark brown when mixed with henna or black over previously hennaed hair. So you will at some point want to pick up some henna too. HTH :)

Yep, they sell that where I get my henna. It's called black henna but it's not henna it's indigo. Saying "black henna" is like saying "neutral henna" for cassia. It's just a nickname.

black henna = indigo
neutral henna = cassia
red henna = henna

They are all different plants. Black henna (indigo) will make your hair black.

sareca said:
Yep, they sell that where I get my henna. It's called black henna but it's not henna it's indigo. Saying "black henna" is like saying "neutral henna" for cassia. It's just a nickname.

black henna = indigo
neutral henna = cassia
red henna = henna

thanks for the tips ladies! i wasnt sure if it was safe or not. so you add this to henna. im learnin.

i dont want to make my hair black just yet so ill have to find red henna. will that turn my hair really red or will it have a red tint?

x

sareca said:

black henna = indigo
neutral henna = cassia
red henna = henna

Thanks for this breakdown!!!

today i saw a box of sada bahar. Dulhan mehndi- i think its for hands but can you use it on hair?? it says ingred's are 'ground henna leaves'

Thank you so much - this was just the information I was looking for ! :grin:

Back