Coconut Oil instead of Pressing Oil

peachykeen

OK I admit I still use my pressing comb sometimes. I have not had any set backs. BUT, I fear that there will be some unless I stop using my (Petroleum based)pressing oil at least. I use so little, but I still feel uneasy. Can I use coconut oil instead? Or has anyone used the NorthWest Oil for pressing or flat ironing?

Are you using Dax pressing oil? :lachen:
Have you ever thought of just using a regular heat protectant serum or spray? I use coconut oil as a sealant and deep conditioner...I don't know how well it works with pressing combs...sizzle... :scratchch

How did you know? OK I will try a regular heat protectant because I was just reading on e-how.com that pressing oil builds up on hair and cant be washed off by SLS free natural shampoo, which is all I use.

Honestly... Neither of them are the best choice. Oils fry when heat is applied to it. Granted some oils can take hotter temps better but why take the chance with your hair. Your best bet is a heat protect-ant. You will also benefit by having an end result with lots of body and movement. There is a lot of mis information about hair out there and although some women have dodged a few bullets with heat damage it doesn't mean it won't happen. I hope that helps.

My grandma and her sister still use Dax...:rolleyes:

Yeah I do believe that is right. Products with 'cones' or petroleum supposedly only come completely off with sulfates. :look:

How did you know? OK I will try a regular heat protectant because I was just reading on e-how.com that pressing oil builds up on hair and cant be washed off by SLS free natural shampoo, which is all I use.

lol Dax is probably one ofthe few pressing oils left. i know sallys told me that they dont sell pressing oil anymore.

Yeah sally's had some brand of pressing oil last year and it looked like they were trying to get rid of it...it was on "sale"...might have been isoplus brand

lol Dax is probably one ofthe few pressing oils left. i know sallys told me that they dont sell pressing oil anymore.

Honestly... Neither of them are the best choice. Oils fry when heat is applied to it. Granted some oils can take hotter temps better but why take the chance with your hair. Your best bet is a heat protect-ant. You will also benefit by having an end result with lots of body and movement. There is a lot of mis information about hair out there and although some women have dodged a few bullets with heat damage it doesn't mean it won't happen. I hope that helps.

I agree. I think using Coconut oil as a pressing oil is a recipe for disaster. :burning:

Back