Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol

ALWAYZL8

I did a search, but was unsuccessful on this topic of alcohols. I was experiencing exterme breakage at one point in my life. I asked my hair guy for a solution and he told me to stop using alchohol based products on my hair. I was never one to use hairspray or mousse, but I noticed that my conditioners had alcohol on the list of ingredients. After reading different posts about products...specifically Aveda products...I was wondering if these cetyl and stearyl alchohols are really bad? Do they really have a drying effect? Am I supposed to stay away from them? I've only been able to use Proclaim and Motions Shampoo and Conditioner for the last year as they don't list these alcohols. What's the real deal? I threw out so much stuff when he told me that. My hair did stop breaking and shedding, but I actully had an iron deficiency. A multi-vitamin really helped.

gymfreak336

Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol are fatty acid like substances. Don't think of them as rubbing alcohol. Alcohol is basically any carbon chain with a -oh group attached. There are hundreds of kinds. Ethyl alcohols are the ones typically associated with drying and most of those are used in sprays like hair spray to make them evaporate quickly, not conditioner.

ALWAYZL8

That makes plenty of sense!! I was wondering why all these products made for dry hair had these types of alcohols. I think I am a candidate for the Aveda line. Thanks for your help!

seymone

thanks gymfreak... I always wondered about Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol because whenever i would see product with that ingredient I would put it back...

PinkSkates

You should also check out Motown's Girl website. She has an extensive list of the good vs. bad alcohols for our hair.

BonBon

pinkskates said:
You should also check out Motown's Girl website. She has an extensive list of the good vs. bad alcohols for our hair.

I cant actually find that list on the site, do you know which section its under??:)

from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_alcohol

Fatty alcohols are aliphatic alcohols derived from natural fats and oils. They are the counterparts of fatty acids and fatty aldehydes. They usually have even number of carbon atoms. Production from fatty acids yields normal-chain alcohols—the alcohol group (-OH) attaches to the terminal carbon. Other processing can yield iso-alcohols—where the alcohol attaches to a carbon in the interior of the carbon chain.
The smaller molecules are used in cosmetics and food, and as industrial solvents. Some of the larger molecules are important as biofuels.
Due to their amphipathic nature, fatty alcohols behave as nonionic surfactants. They find use as emulsifiers, emollients and thickeners in cosmetics and food industry.
Fatty alcohols are a common component of waxes, mostly as esters with fatty acids but also as alcohols themselves.
Those with common names include:
Behenyl alcohol, lignoceryl alcohol, ceryl alcohol, 1-heptacosanol, montanyl alcohol, 1-nonacosanol, myricyl alcohol, 1-dotriacontanol, and geddyl alcohol are together classified as policosanol, with montanyl alcohol and myricyl alcohol being the most abundant.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Emollients and Their Importance[/FONT]
An emollient is a substance that lubricates and softens the skin. A good emollient gives flexible, smooth skin and gets rid of flaking and hard skin. A high quality emollient hydrate and moistens the skin.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The most effective emollient is water. Oil does not moisten the skin unless it helps to hold in more moisture on the skin. Emollients help to protect the skin and they also stop dryness, which can help to heal the skin. An emollient helps dry skin and also prevents dry skin. It give protection to the skin from synthetic chemicals in make-up and other and sun damage. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Substances that are used as a natural emollient are olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and other vegetable oils. Substances that act as an emollient derived from animal products are cod liver oil and lanolin. Often supposed natural emollients may be sued with synthetics and hydrocarbons.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The best emollients are phospholipids, phytoglycols (plant oils), fatty acids, fatty acid esters, plant sterols, fatty alcohols, lanolin and items derived from lanolin. The first three are the best. Lecithin is a phospholipids and is a good emollient. Lucithin is also a good surfactant and natural emulsifier. [/FONT]

i saved this list from another thread on this site
DENATURED "BAD" ALCOHOLS:
Benzyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

EMOLLIENT "GOOD" ALCOHOLS:
Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate

Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

Last edited:

Namilani

destiny616 said:
Benzyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

Thanks for posting this! I can't believe all the products I assumed were bad b/c of alcohol, thinking they'd ruin my hair. Obviously if they did have alcohol and made my hair look bad it was only b/c I hadn't learned to take care of my hair, yet...

LocksOfLuV

destiny616 said:
Benzyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

This is a sulfate I believe and there is nothing moisturizing about those.

ALWAYZL8

Destiny...I'll have to keep this in my wallet for use on my next Sally's trip. I really appreciate your help. Who knew? :spinning: