cetrimonium chloride

LadyRaider

According to the beauty brains, this ingredient in conditioners actually works with heat to strengthen your hair.

What do you think?

(It's in the Silicon Mix I have on my head right now.)

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

Iron damage can be reduced by using conditioners formulated with low molecular weight conditioners that can penetrate into the hair like cetrimonium chloride. Another study (see Reference 2) showed that exposing hair to heat in the presence of such a conditioning agent actually caused an increase in tensile strength (the force required to break a hair). This is because the heat reacts with the conditioning agents and cross links some of the protein chains inside the hair. Look for products like Sunsilk Heat Defense Cream
ir
if you want this effect.

For a split second I thought this was another bad ingredient thread and I was about to just throw out everything I own and say *** it lol but I remember Googling this a couple days ago and it's all good.

I believe related to polyquats. I don't think it builds up on hair though.

It's always behaved nicely in my hair :yep:

I believe related to polyquats. I don't think it builds up on hair though.

It's always behaved nicely in my hair :yep:

That's interesting because cetrimonium chloride is also an ingredient in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner (which is an instant conditioner); I was reading the "Definition of Deep Conditioning Thread" and some members said polyquats indicate "deep conditioning."

Does that mean my cheapy Suave conditioner has penetrative properties?

I think it probably has some penetrating abilities, but I wouldn't call it a Deep Conditioner based on all the other ingredients in it.

interesting. haven't heard much about centrimonium chloride, but i know that the conditioners i use with behentrimonium chloride tend to have REALLY great slip. maybe chlorides are good for the hair?

I think it probably has some penetrating abilities, but I wouldn't call it a Deep Conditioner based on all the other ingredients in it.

Hmm...Why can't it be considered a deep conditioner, if deep conditioning means having the ability to penetrate the hair shaft (just playing devil's advocate)? Some of the other ingredients include silk amino acids (that also penetrates), fatty alcohols, honey, rosemary & coconut extracts.

Last edited:
Hmm...Why can't it be considered a deep conditioner, if deep conditioning means having the ability to penetrate the hair shaft (just playing devil's advocate)? Some of the other ingredients include silk amino acids (that also penetrates), fatty alcohols, honey, rosemary & coconut extracts.

A deep conditioner is more concentrated. Plus, there are no oils or much of anything else besides water and fatty alcohols in it... that's why it costs so little.

I "deep condition" with V05/Suave when I do wash n gos... they are great for adding light moisture to the hair, but they aren't as effective as a "real" DC.

If my hair was damaged or in need of "real" moisture, I think it'd do better with a thicker, richer conditioner.

I was looking at these ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey/Mel, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocoa Nucifera) Extract

It's really mostly water and fatty alcohols. Most of the "good" ingredients are far down the list (The higher up something is in the list, the more of it is actually in the product) There is more fragrance/preservatives in this product than glycerin, SAA, and the plant extracts.

So there you go. lol Just wanted to really explain my thinking on this. Wasn't trying to say that these type of conditioners are worthless, but they aren't rich and ultra moisturizing like a good DC is.

All of the conditioners that I love have this or behentrimonium chloride. Deep conditioners aren't necessarily deep penetrating. Aren't the only things that can penetrate olive, coconut, and avocado oil, water, and hydrolyzed proteins?

All of the conditioners that I love have this or behentrimonium chloride. Deep conditioners aren't necessarily deep penetrating. Aren't the only things that can penetrate olive, coconut, and avocado oil, water, and hydrolyzed proteins?

I look at the ingredients list to see if something would make a good DC or not, not the label :yep: Just because it says "Deep Conditioner" on it doesn't mean it's a good DC and sometimes regular conditioners can make a good DC!

Many other oils/butters can penetrate :yep: I didn't know this until a few months ago :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...lchemist-helps-us-understand-oils-and-butters

I'm not sure if fatty alcohols, polyquats or cationic surfactants actually absorb, but I believe that having MORE of them (percentage-wise), makes a more potent conditioner in any case.

So, being that this is a key ingredient, as well as polyquats, what then is to be said on HairVeda and SheScentit Deep Conditioners? I'm stocked up on these, so HOPEFULLY I don't need to invest in other DC. Also, have some of you found it difficult to find products that contain these without parabens, mineral oil, and all of the other "not so good stuff?"

Neith I've read this article and it doesn't tell you which oils/butter can penetrate and how much they penetrate - just which types. I know that other oils/butters can partially penetrate but don't see the point in that if it you can easily get those that do the whole job. Plus she doesn't name any sources for her information. The articles about coconut, oilve, and avocado site the studies that prove the qualities of these oils and other oils were also studied and proved to be inferior.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/

What kind of oil can get into the hair cortex? The complex answer is many different oils to varying degrees. The simple answer is coconut oil and olive oil have been shown to penetrate hair quite well (Hornby et al, Int Journal of cosmetic science 2005 pg299-300).

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-myths-can-you-really-deep.html

I love dcing and don't think anyone should stop but whether or not deep conditioning actually deep conditions is also debatable and many of those with a scientific background seem to think that it isn't really valid or at least it doesn't work the way it is generally thought to.

Last edited:
Neith I've read this article and it doesn't tell you which oils/butter can penetrate and how much they penetrate. I know that other oils/butters can partially penetrate but don't see the point in that if it you can easily get those that do the whole job. Plus she doesn't name any sources for her information. The articles about coconut, oilve, and avocado site the studies that prove the qualities of these oils and other oils were also studied and proved to be inferior.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/

What kind of oil can get into the hair cortex? The complex answer is many different oils to varying degrees. The simple answer is coconut oil and olive oil have been shown to penetrate hair quite well (Hornby et al, Int Journal of cosmetic science 2005 pg299-300).

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-myths-can-you-really-deep.html

I love dcing and don't think anyone should stop but whether or not deep conditioning actually deep conditions is also debatable and many of those with a scientific background seem to think that it isn't really valid or at least it doesn't work the way it is generally thought to.

The article I posted DOES say which oils penetrate based on their molecular structure. I'm not completely talking out my :censored: I've done a lot of research on oils recently. lol

I'll just repost the article for the sake of convenience.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...lchemist-helps-us-understand-oils-and-butters

"Generally, molecules with a straight chain geometry (saturated fatty acids), such as stearic acid, lauric acid, and palmitic acid can easily fit through the pores of the cuticle layer and slither through the CMC and into the interior of the cortex. Recent spectroscopic studies have allowed scientists to confirm that monounsaturated fatty acids are also able to readily penetrate the interior of the hair via this route. However, polyunsaturated fatty acids seem unable to penetrate into the interior of the hair at all, and remain either adsorbed onto the exterior surface of the hair or may get wedged into the cuticle layer."

Smaller, "straighter" molecules can get through the cuticle and penetrate into the hair.

The table shows the fatty acid composition for each oil. Oils with stearic acid, lauric acid, palmitic acid, oleic acid ... can penetrate hair. Polyunsaturated fatty acids are too "big" to penetrate. The table is there to show which oils can penetrate based on which fatty acids are present.

Here is lauric acid (main fatty acid of coconut oil)

200px-Lauric_acid.png

Here is Eicosenoic acid (main fatty acid of jojoba oil)

250px-Eicosenoic_acid.png

Lauric acid is a much smaller, straighter molecule than Eicosenoic acid. That's why one penetrates and one doesn't.

From one of your articles:

"What kind of oil can get into the hair cortex? The complex answer is many different oils to varying degrees."

I know it's easier to just say just olive, coconut and avocado penetrate because those are the most talked about oils, but you would have to admit, that's not the complete truth.

I wish scientists would do a really good deep conditioning study :giggle: but we do know for sure that some oils and proteins penetrate into the hair.

A deep conditioner is more concentrated. Plus, there are no oils or much of anything else besides water and fatty alcohols in it... that's why it costs so little.

I "deep condition" with V05/Suave when I do wash n gos... they are great for adding light moisture to the hair, but they aren't as effective as a "real" DC.

If my hair was damaged or in need of "real" moisture, I think it'd do better with a thicker, richer conditioner.

I was looking at these ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey/Mel, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocoa Nucifera) Extract

It's really mostly water and fatty alcohols. Most of the "good" ingredients are far down the list (The higher up something is in the list, the more of it is actually in the product) There is more fragrance/preservatives in this product than glycerin, SAA, and the plant extracts.

So there you go. lol Just wanted to really explain my thinking on this. Wasn't trying to say that these type of conditioners are worthless, but they aren't rich and ultra moisturizing like a good DC is.

:) I know you weren't...Thanks for sticking around and explaining; I agree...I was just interested in the explanation

It is in La Plancha Deep Heat Reconstructor...the line is designed to be used with heat. I've used this conditioner with heat, and without. With heat you get a waaaaaaay better result by-far.

Back