cassia, henna and the rest of the family: why?

Curlykale

I see many people who have cassia and henna treatments for conditioning purposes and they seem very happy with the results. They say their hair is enhanced, BUT by reading many threads, articles and reviews I keep seeing that:

- it is drying, so you have to up your moisture afterwards

- you still have to keep doing protein treatments.

My question is: if it's conditioning, how comes it is drying?
If it's strengthening, why do you have to keep doing protein treatments?
I'm curious but confused.

henna is not drying for me, it is stregnthening because i have fine strands and i need a ton of protein. henna also helps to thicken the hair which protects it from breakage.
if it dries the hair out then i dont know what the benefits would be where it would be ay different than a regular protein treatment.

I like it because of its strengthening qualities. I also use it with indigo for black hair and to cover my grays. The first time I used it, it was very drying to my hair. But I have used it twice since then and my hair responded so much better....it was so soft and strong. The last two times I mixed it differently (with aloe vera juice) instead of tea/lemon juice (the first time) so I think that is why. I think the drying issues people have with henna has to do with how they mix it.

I don't know how people are mixing it and what else they use on their hair but these are also variables and probably affect their results. For me it's not drying and hundreds of millions of people in Africa, the Middle East and Asia probably wouldn't use it either if it dried their hair out. I don't use protein treatments - I do use regular all purpose conditioners but not at the same time or same day as the henna.

ciccina IA with Tiye. I don't use regular protein treatments. I henna 3 - 4 times a month and my hair is very strong. I have no drying effects at all. I steam-henna for 1 hour and steam using a regular DC for 30 - 45minutes afterwards. I noticed last wkend when I washed the henna out using Beemine's Avocado cream balanced conditioner, my hair was extra soft and moisturized. I didn’t think I needed to do a DC; but I did anyway, out of habit (about 20 min). Previously I had been using Ojon's conditioner to wash the henna out of my hair and ALWAYS needed to do a DC afterwards. I finally used up the 64 oz. I purchased some time ago and this was the 1st time using the Beemine.

I use Jamila (sometimes Karishma) henna, canned coconut milk (it’s so creamy), lime or lemon juice, coffee or nettle/horsetail tea. Sometimes I add amla to the mixture, too. I mix it, immediately apply it to my hair and steam for 1 hr. Rinse it out and co-wash with the Beemine.

Haven't tried cassia, yet. But going to soon.

I am going to henna for life!

Oh, btw, I’ve tried reconstructors and protein treatments: Hairveda’s MethiSativa System and Acai Berry Phyto- Biofunctional Restorative Conditioner and Jasmine’s intense reconstructing hair treatment and aphogee’s 2-step protein. Nothing made my hair as strong as henna. And it’s cheaper, too.

I don't find henna or cassia to be drying at all. I also agree that it has to do with the acidic mix. When I'm done with a henna or cassia treatment, my results are strong, shiny hair but just to be on the safe side I always condition afterward but it's something that I would do regardless so the extra step is not a bother.

I see many people who have cassia and henna treatments for conditioning purposes and they seem very happy with the results. They say their hair is enhanced, BUT by reading many threads, articles and reviews I keep seeing that:

- it is drying, so you have to up your moisture afterwards

- you still have to keep doing protein treatments.

My question is: if it's conditioning, how comes it is drying?
If it's strengthening, why do you have to keep doing protein treatments?
I'm curious but confused.
it's conditioning if you do a "gloss" mixing it with conditioner.
it's strengthening but it's not protein, just a hair strengthening treatment.if you do protein treatment for strengthening profits you will be glad with henna, but you can also add an egg or protein by powder form as you want. and as people adds conditioner to their henna treatment (i like to add amla powder)

Last edited:
I thought a good chunk of people using henna & indigo was for the color. I was considering it, but it seems so messy!

I tried cassia for the first time like 2 weeks ago. At first I didn't think it did much to my hair because it didn't weigh it down and didn't feel stronger like the majority of people had reported. However when my hair dried I felt like it laid down more and i have 4b hair which is hard to lay down. Also I do notice a bit more sheen as usual especially after my 1st wash after the treatment I did realise my hair has changed characteristics, just a bit. But I'm looking forward to my next treatment, I think I'll see a bit more difference because it will have a chance to build up.

i only use cassia (actually a cassia blend from ayurnaturalbeauty), and i never found it to be drying...i think people who find these to be drying only mix them with water or sometimes even lemon juice in the case of henna, which could add to the dryness, but i always add moisturizing ingredients, like conditioner or yogurt along with aloe vera, oils and honey...i havent done a treatment in a while, but i need to...i find that i get a little more hangage, and a lot less frizz and more shine when i do them regularly (atleast 1x a month).

I love cassia/henna. I think a lot of people having issues with it is to do with their mix. Growing up it was just a basic mix to paste with water let sit overnight apply for max 3 hours and rinse out, works everytime. It made my hair fuller. I was just considering doing this next as I want to try and have medium brown hair (as opposed to the honey brown).

Back