Caruso Steam Roller Instructions for Natural and Relaxed Hair

Isis

Yay! I finally found my copy of the Caruso steam roller manual instructions for black women. It has instructions for relaxed hair, curly perms, weave hair and natural hair. There have been many questions from the ladies here at LHCF over the past few years for Caruso natural hair instructions and for the relaxed hair ones. I saved my manual from several years ago (long before LHCF) but was unable to find it until now. BTW, these black hair instructions are NOT in current Caruso manuals but they still apply and work very well. :yep:

(When I typed this in, I did not add the curly perm instructions but if will if requested)

A Natural for Black Hair

For years, Black women have been warned against sponge rollers because:
1) some cheaper ones contain fiberglass which broke the hair; 2) they were used in a wet setting process which removes moisture from the hair; and 3) users often slept in them which put undue tension on the hair, causing breakage.

Our rollers are completely different in both substance and process. So they're guaranteed safe on even the most delicate hair. These rollers contain no harmful fiberglass--they're 100% laytex rubber. They also add moisture to the hair and, because the process is so fast, you never have to sleep with the rollers in your hair.

If your hair is damaged, you can safely use a penetrating protein conditioner that works within the roller to fill the inner molecules of the hair with fiber-strengthening nutrients. Our rollers help replace the hair's natural moisture, body and elasticity that is commonly lost in chemical processing, blow drying or thermal curling. If breakage, mushy ends or lifeless hair has been a problem, our process will eliminate them once and for al.

For Natural Hair (Press and Comb)

Soft, natural textures may be curled by carefully controlling the amount of steam. (For some coarse, natural texture, the rollers may not work well. For best results, coarse hair should be chemically treated). Follow this setting procedure:

1. Shampoo hair, removing all traces of oil/curl activator.

2. Blow dry hair smooth until completely dry.

3. Section hair first. Then steam rollers briefly--no more than 2-3 seconds (See "Steaming the Rollers" section).

4. Set by taking large sections and using the comb clip where necessary (Comb clips hold short ends on the roller).

5. Wait 5-10 minutes (until moisture is evaporated). Or use a dryer for 2-3 minutes instead.

6. Remove rollers. If no dryer has been used, let the hair "air" for 5 minutes.

7. Comb and style.

For Relaxed Hair

Molecular rollers add body and sheen to relaxed hair and give a firm set that lasts for days. They will not frizz hair that has been chemically relaxed or cold waved. For page boys and straightened styles, wrap with large sections, use little tension and secure with metal clips instead of covers. For curlier styles, choose smaller rollers and use more tension.

For Hair Weaves and Hair Pieces

You can even use your rollers on synthetic hair. For a semipermanent curl, set the hair, then place under a preheated dryer (hot setting) for 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before combing.

IMPORTANT:

Do not set hair that contains curl activator...gummy moisturizer...heavy oil...or any product that leaves hair feeling damp. The setting process will moisturize hair naturally. A light setting lotion may be used before setting for extra body only if the hair is thoroughly dry. After setting, a light spray of oil sheen or holding spray may be applied.

Once you have used this remarkable hairsetting process you'll see how much your hair condition improves. We think it will convince you that this is the healthiest, most reliable system for styling Black hair.

Averoigne

I had a set of Caruso steam rollers back in 1990. I am sorry that I got rid of them. I do remember enjoying them, but I was a misguided young lady back them and preferred my Gold n Hot curling iron on the highest setting. :eek:

I loved the infomercial from the early 90's. Thanks for the info, Isis.

Lady Esquire

great info. i have not used mine in a while but when i plan to wear my hair out again, i will definitely look this over. :)

ajargon02

Very interesting. When I was younger my mom had one of these and I am shocked that you can even use it sucessfully w/ natural hair. I would be so afraid that after going through allthe hard work of blow drying or pressing straight, that the curlers would frizz it out.

CocoBunny

I used mine today for the first time in a long time. LOVED it. Not sure why it was I stopped using them in the 1st place.