Can you keep baking soda-shampoo mix in a container?

Lady S

My apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer in the search engine.

I needed to clarify my hair, but sulfates make my scalp miserable, so I mixed some baking soda with one of my non-sulfate shampoos. It did the trick and both my scalp and hair are happier for it. But here's the thing, I mixed the shampoo and the baking soda in one of those plastic bottles you get at the drugstore for carrying lotions and shampoo when you're traveling. I still have a nice amount of the mix left. Is it okay to keep it in the plastic bottle or am I asking for a science experiment gone wrong? What if I leave the cap off?

msa

Yeah it's fine to leave it in that bottle.

Why would you leave the cap off though? That's just asking for bacteria, dust, and who knows what else to get in there. At least put some saran wrap on it.

Lady S

Yeah it's fine to leave it in that bottle.

Why would you leave the cap off though? That's just asking for bacteria, dust, and who knows what else to get in there. At least put some saran wrap on it.

Concern that the baking soda would react with something in the shampoo and create gas that would cause the bottle to explode or something. Like the volcanos at science fairs. :blush3:

msa

Concern that the baking soda would react with something in the shampoo and create gas that would cause the bottle to explode or something. Like the volcanos at science fairs. :blush3:

LOL. If it were going to react, it definitely would have by now.

Pandora1975

I do this with my condish/baking soda mix. Just vent it, then give it a good shake before you use it again. The baking soda pulls the water from the product, so you will want to re-integrate it again.