Can get braids, but what about a sew-in?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Hi ladies!

I am attempting to stretch my relaxer until Christmas. The woman who is braiding my mother's hair suggested that I could get my hair cornrowed and just get a sew-in. She said that if I get the sew-in by the end of October, that it should last until Christmas.

What do ya'll think?

Anyone have a sew-in right now? And if so, how's it working for you as a non-manipulation style?

Thanks as always!!

SP ;)

sunshinebeautiful

I was thinking about getting one too to take me through the rest of the year.

My birthday's coming up and I was gonna spring and get one for myself.

I've had good experiences in the past with sew-ins. My old hairdresser used to do them beautifully. I think I may pay her a visit.

hothair

:yep: I've got a bad ass curly fullhead I re-did it about a week ago and my hair had grown!!! Like noticeably. My hair grows in braids but loosens quite easily when I wash. With the weave I was co-washing every other day (cutting that down though to 2ce a week) and ACV and DC once a week. I love love love it going to be in various weaves till Dec. I say go for it! :grin:

Aveena

I got a sew in 2 weeks ago. I struggled with my stylist over the texture of the hair I Really wanted. I wanted to use hair that matched my texlax 8 weeks post texture naturally because I know I'm not going to be flat ironing my hair that much. anyway, I had to go with the yaky perm because no BSS sold what I was looking for. I will have to special order (kinky straight) online if I want to do it in the future.

But basically what I've done is wash and flat iron once a week. I'm trying to slowly move to 2 weeks eventually but it is difficult, however, just low manipulation is good even if I can't make 2 weeks.

I've been wearing bangs and just twist the back up (no combing or brushing my hair) and secure with a clip or banana clip. It's great. I do detangle the weave hair.

My stylist knows my hair goals and I'm taking a leap of faith on weaving to help stretch, and I luuuuv the long hair. My updos look so much better. :yep:

I'm due to take the weave down by the end of October so I won't know the real results until then. keeping my fingers crossed

I had my weave in since Mid-august. I plan to take it out the first week in NOV! I definitely think your hair would be fine until December - if you take care of it - although your hair is a weave treat it like silk.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I got a sew in 2 weeks ago. I struggled with my stylist over the texture of the hair I Really wanted. I wanted to use hair that matched my texlax 8 weeks post texture naturally because I know I'm not going to be flat ironing my hair that much. anyway, I had to go with the yaky perm because no BSS sold what I was looking for. I will have to special order (kinky straight) online if I want to do it in the future.

But basically what I've done is wash and flat iron once a week. I'm trying to slowly move to 2 weeks eventually but it is difficult, however, just low manipulation is good even if I can't make 2 weeks.

I've been wearing bangs and just twist the back up (no combing or brushing my hair) and secure with a clip or banana clip. It's great. I do detangle the weave hair.

My stylist knows my hair goals and I'm taking a leap of faith on weaving to help stretch, and I luuuuv the long hair. My updos look so much better. :yep:

I'm due to take the weave down by the end of October so I won't know the real results until then. keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks, Fran! I can't wait to see your results! :kiss:

morehairplease

hi there,

do you mind sharing with me where this hair can be ordered?

tia,
tishee

sunshinebeautiful

To those with weaves, are ya'll still able to use growth aids like BT?

I've never been one to use growth aids, but it seems like you should be able too. If your hair is cornrowed underneath, it seems like you should be able to get to your natural hair to apply your growth aid. But let me let some other ladies chime in with real experience.

divinefavor

I just took my sew in out on Tuesday and my hair has grown quite a bit. I have so much new growth (17 weeks post today). My only problem is dealing with the new growth in between the time you don't have a sew in and getting the next one. As you know my hair is fine/thin and since it was my first time getting a weave, I did not want to risk leaving it in for longer than 4 or 5 weeks. This gave me the opportunity to assess my hair for damage, breakage, and more thinning. I'm so glad that none of those things happened. I think I've made a decision to go ahead and get the weave the day before my birthday instead of relaxing. I'll have Amandita do it the same way as before with braiding the hair underneath in a circular pattern and then putting a net over it before sewing in the hair. I'll leave the second one in until around Thanksgiving time wait a couple of weeks and then relax it in time for Christmas.

Yes, you can use growth aids, but keep in mind that it could make the hair look greasy. So, you're probably going to have to wash your a couple of times a week. I used my homemade spritz and sprayed (even this weighed the human hair down and a little greasy looking so I had to be careful with how much I used) in between the cornrows and tried as best I could to hit every area of my hair.

ETA: I got a full head weave and will continue to do so...I feel for my hair I don't need to have any exposed. The front of my hair grows the slowest so I felt it was best for me to have a full head with closure. I didn't want to risk that part of my hair becoming weaker from flat ironing it more frequently. It was well worth the extra $10 for the full sew in.

Hope this information has been helpful!!

Last edited: