CALLING ALL TRANSITIONERS!!!!

NewYorkgyrl

What are you doing with your hair this summer??????

It is getting more difficult for me to come my hair and manage the two te=xtures and to keep my natural hair soft.

I still want to look cute and good this summer so I need some help with styles. The only thing I can think of is alternating between buns and braid/twistout.

Oh and my wash and go's look a hot mess.

bluebearfanatic

currently i'm wearing a weave which i'm trying to leave in until july...i have no idea what I'm going to do it with it in the summer...the braid out twist outs I don't think they look that great on me b/c of my darn relaxed ends even when I try to use rollers on the ends I just can't get it right. Or when I actually do get it to look good by the end of the day it looks a HOT MESS! :eek: I haven't even dared to try the wash n go..i'm like if it looks bad with braid/twist outs..I can only imagine what it would look like with the wash n go..lol I'll see what my hair looks like when I take this weave out then I'll decide otherwise I'll just be rocking buns! But I really hope I can try the wash n go!

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
NewYorkgyrl said:

It is getting more difficult for me to come my hair and manage the two te=xtures and to keep my natural hair soft.

I still want to look cute and good this summer so I need some help with styles. The only thing I can think of is alternating between buns and braid/twistout.

Oh and my wash and go's look a hot mess.

Yeah, this was me last year, especially since I started transitioning in April, 05. This year, I'm more natural and will be experiementing with wash 'n goes. But yeah, I wore lots of bantu knots pulled up into puffs and braidouts too.

jasmine26

what about doing flex-rod/straw sets for the summer? Also, s-curl moisturizer is really good for transitioning hair. It does a good job of keeping your new growth more manageable and soft! HTH

KiSseS03

I keep going back and forth between wanting to just get it over with and chop, or letting it grow until early October (that will be one full year transitioning). Wash and go's do not work for me, because my hair was fully relaxed and I have type 4 hair, the difference in the textures is drastic.

Right now I'm rocking rollersets in updo's or just down, braid-out updo's or a slick wet braided bun. The good thing about summer is that I have more time to make my hair look nice...

I'm going to the Caribbean for August and I really need ideas for that, because I want to be able to swim and not have to worry about my hair so much. I'm thinking I might get cornrows...

Faith

what I have been doing with my 3" of natural which isn't much I know (and however much of texlaxed hair) is just braiding it up in 8 sections and wearing it a little Pocahontas looking. I do a half and half hair style with it. Half the hair (4 sections) are up in a french braid thing and the rest (other 4) hang down. I also do styles like in my siggy..which was just my own hair braided.

Last edited:

mscounselor

Braidouts and cornrows. I have a better luck with perm rods on my ends than just plain rollers. Im loving the texture and fullness of it. Since I only wash once a week that works for me. I cant help you if you wash more than that.

Jewell

I found a really cute style to wear yesterday. I washed and conditioned my hair on Sunday, and braided it into 6 medium sized braids. Let it air dry. My intention was to wear a braidout for work Monday, and for half the day I did. I got tired of the ends looking so straight because I didn't braid them all the way to the end (and the rest of my hair looking wavy and big) nor did I put rollers on the end.

So on my lunch break from work I came home and swept it up into a French roll/twist. It came out nice! This is a style that I just tie up at night, and I literally do not have to take it down to do anything for a week. I just spray a little glosser over it and that's it. {See avatar} I will be rocking this style for summer because I don't have to touch it and it will blend the textures. It's basically a braidout updo.

P.S. The pic in the avatar is of the style 2 days old. I think I can stretch it to a week.

Last edited:

RainbowCurls

NewYorkgyrl said:

Hopefully... the BC! Then just COwash and go, with headband maybe.

If I wasn't chopping I'd probably be flat ironing and avoiding humidity and rain.

shellzfoshizzle

Yes, I agree with PerfectDoak, hopefully the big chop! I know I look a hot ghetto mess on somedays. I slowly trim away an inch about every month and a half and it's starting to look....well...not so cute. :lol: I know people are thinking "what's up with her hair?" or "when is she going to do something to that head of hers?" but I kind of don't care.

I wear buns 95% of the time, because it's the easiest style to do right now. My relaxed ends dont hold braid outs or twist outs very well so I can't do that just yet. Buns it is for me and then mid-summer...
SNIP SNIP SNIP!

dimpalz

I'm thinking I'm gonna stay with these braidouts and ponies while the newgrowth is still small ~1 inch, once uni finishes I think I'm gonna get me some extensions ... oh wait, I can't get those because I remembered that I have that baby hair syndrome where then suckers just slide right out of the braids and fluff up like some curly halo (i remember this from prerelaxing secondary school days) ... aww man lol I dunno. Well i'll do some no manipulation style for a month and then probably get some kinky twists (i think the fluffhalo will look more acceptable) for graduation and my birthday.

This is a good time for me to ask for some advice. I was planning to cut as I grow so the ends wont get stringy and I wont gt attached to the hair and rerelax just to have long hair, but I was thinking maybe I'd cut it all down to like 5 inches and start getting used to it now. Is that a good idea????

MissMarie

***sigh***
NewYorkgyrl said:

I'm pretty lazy and unimaginative, so I'll probably be sticking with buns, ponytails and braidouts, with the occasional attempt at a wash-and-go.
I have so much newgrowth now that it completely overpowers the relaxed parts so that they curl and fuzz up now rather than just hanging limp.

Cheleigh

dimpalz said:
This is a good time for me to ask for some advice. I was planning to cut as I grow so the ends wont get stringy and I wont gt attached to the hair and rerelax just to have long hair, but I was thinking maybe I'd cut it all down to like 5 inches and start getting used to it now. Is that a good idea????

I don't know how long your hair is now, but honestly, I'd keep my length unless you plan on doing the BC. I think it's easier to transition with longer hair because you can bun or or ponytail it. With short hair, you have the two textures but have a difficult time hiding them. My natural hair is about 6" long, and I can't imagine battling two textures at this length.

I'd either cut it to a TWA or keep it the current length, trimming occasionally (I did every other month) to prevent split ends.

Sweet_Ambrosia

NewYorkgyrl said:

I'll continue to wear my braidouts, rod sets, buns and bantu knots.
I may try ayanpooh's shake & go method, her results were fantastic! :)

NewYorkgyrl

mscounselor said:
Braidouts and cornrows. I have a better luck with perm rods on my ends than just plain rollers. Im loving the texture and fullness of it. Since I only wash once a week that works for me. I cant help you if you wash more than that.

If you only wash once a week (not even cowashes) how do you keep your hair soft????
This is my biggest problem and I refuse to comb my hiar if it is rough so it leaves me choice but to co wash.

mscounselor

NewYorkgyrl said:
If you only wash once a week (not even cowashes) how do you keep your hair soft????
This is my biggest problem and I refuse to comb my hiar if it is rough so it leaves me choice but to co wash.
Daily application of moisture and a penetrating leave in like coconut oil or Africa's Best oil. It keeps it soft before it dries. I guess I cant get into the CW because it takes a while to do my hair once I wash it.