Calling all hard core mixologists

HeChangedMyName

I'm just reading through some of the ingredient lists on some of our fav products and I want to just make my very own leave in/heat protectant type products. Here is what is on my shopping list so far. What do you think?

Panthenol
Panthenol is also known as Provitamin B5 or the beautifier. Panthenol enhances the strength of hair and increases the resistance to breakage. It conditions without buildup and prevents damage caused by overheating and over drying of hair and scalp. Panthenol nourishes hair by replenishing its level in the hair and imparts long lasting moisturization. When Panthenol penetrates the hair shaft a thin elastic film is left o*n the inside and outside of the shaft. This imparts flexibility and elasticity from the inside and luster from the outside. Panthenol can thicken hair by up to 10%.

Keratin Amino Acids
Keratin Amino Acids is a powerful moisturizer that can penetrate the hair enhancing its conditioning effects. Since it has a composition similar to hair and is small enough to penetrate the hair shaft where it becomes highly substantive. It is ideal for hair that has suffered cuticle damage due to the hair’s increased porosity. It can help give the hair more sheen and increased volume.

Cetrimonium Bromide
Cetrimonum Bromide is an exceptional conditioner for premium creme rinses and conditioners. It leaves unique light feel to hair. It is highly effective o*n damaged hair.

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate
C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate is an emollient ester provides light conditioning with a silky-soft after feel.

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
Hydrolyzed soy protein improves manageability, body, gloss and texture of hair. It forms a film that coats and conditions damaged hair. The film increases moisture retention, making hair more healthy-looking.

msa

I can't help you there. If I ever decide to use heat, I'll be buying a really good heat protectant. I have no problem leaving that up to the scientists.

Urban

I love formulating my own products. There's a lot of trial and error in order to perfect them tho'. I wouldn't risk a heat protectant, there isn't too much space for mistakes or a take2 - you can't really "repair" heat damage.

IMHO I think you'd be better off experimenting with just a leave in.

Unless you're a trained chemist or something ....

lollyoo

I may differ slightly here,

Most heat protectant are hydrolysed proteins or silicones or both. They only coat the hair strands, and make it more resilient.

I do not use heat protectants, this stems from the fact that my hair do not like silicones at all, and most commercial heat protectants contain silicones.

I make my own leave in which contains maximum amount of silk protein recommended in a formulation. I also do a protein deep conditioning tx on same day I plan to heat style
I do know what I am doing though, I have very good chemistry background.

If you are sure, dont do it or research properly before diving in to it.

But it can be done, in all honesty, most heat product cant protect against heat damage, they just make hair slightly more resilient.

HTH

ajargon02

Panthenol
Panthenol is also known as Provitamin B5 or the beautifier. Panthenol enhances the strength of hair and increases the resistance to breakage. It conditions without buildup and prevents damage caused by overheating and over drying of hair and scalp. Panthenol nourishes hair by replenishing its level in the hair and imparts long lasting moisturization. When Panthenol penetrates the hair shaft a thin elastic film is left o*n the inside and outside of the shaft. This imparts flexibility and elasticity from the inside and luster from the outside. Panthenol can thicken hair by up to 10%.

Keratin Amino Acids
Keratin Amino Acids is a powerful moisturizer that can penetrate the hair enhancing its conditioning effects. Since it has a composition similar to hair and is small enough to penetrate the hair shaft where it becomes highly substantive. It is ideal for hair that has suffered cuticle damage due to the hair’s increased porosity. It can help give the hair more sheen and increased volume.

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
Hydrolyzed soy protein improves manageability, body, gloss and texture of hair. It forms a film that coats and conditions damaged hair. The film increases moisture retention, making hair more healthy-looking.
Well these are all proteins. I am kinda biased, b/c my hair doesn't like that much protein. I would rather get my protein through more natural means like henna or eggs, but that's just me. I would strive for a little more balance.

Cetrimonium Bromide
Cetrimonum Bromide is an exceptional conditioner for premium creme rinses and conditioners. It leaves unique light feel to hair. It is highly effective o*n damaged hair.

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate
C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate is an emollient ester provides light conditioning with a silky-soft after feel.

This is a good start for stuff to put into a deep conditioner, but I personally feel that you should strive for more of a balance. But over all it's a good start! :grin:

Urban

Well these are all proteins. I am kinda biased, b/c my hair doesn't like that much protein. I would rather get my protein through more natural means like henna or eggs, but that's just me. I would strive for a little more balance.

But panthenol isn't a protein ... and henna isn't a protein either :nono:.

Anyway, Op if you do decide to do it, good luck hope it works out.