Bunning natural hair????

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I live in Germany and it rains alot, for example everyday next week it's going to rain and be in the 60's. I wear my natural in twist outs all the time, but when it rains I look like a lion. How do you ladies slick your natural hair in a nice slick bun or ponytail? Mine seem to never be slick then when I take it down it's a mess!!!

I get my hair kind of damp not soaking wet and put some coconut oil around the edges and ends then use Eco styler gel and tie it down for about 20 minutes and its super sleek when I take off my head wrap.

Though I don't do it always, I usually bun my hair while its in a twist out. It usually helps cut down on tangles, knots, etc. When its wet, I put it in a ponytail and secure the bulk in two twists around the ponytail holder.

Edges get slicked back with shea butter or something with similar hold.

0032-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Though I don't do it always, I usually bun my hair while its in a twist out. It usually helps cut down on tangles, knots, etc. When its wet, I put it in a ponytail and secure the bulk in two twists around the ponytail holder.

0032-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg
This is what I do....I also will put on a scarf for awhile before I go out and that will smooth out the edges....for awhile...LOL. Nice bun by the way!!

Not to change topics but what if your hair is short like neck length or ear length shrinkage... How would you bun it?

Not to change topics but what if your hair is short like neck length or ear length shrinkage... How would you bun it?

You would stretch it first by means of braid out, twist out or banding. But you should be doing that anyway after washing your hair; twisting, braiding etc.

My hair has neck length shrinkage so bunning whilst wet is out of the question - no amount of gel and tying down with a scarf will do it.

After i wash i put my hair into about 8 briads (they are better than twists for stretching) and let airdry.
Because i have short hair at the front, i section off a large-ish area and cornrow the front (whilst damp).
When all is dry i undo (except that i keep in the cornrowed section) and pull it all back into a ponytail and then use a sock bun.

0032-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

I'll have to try this today with my old twist out. Thanks :)

Thank you ladies for all the tips!!

My hair has neck length shrinkage so bunning whilst wet is out of the question - no amount of gel and tying down with a scarf will do it.

After i wash i put my hair into about 8 briads (they are better than twists for stretching) and let airdry.
Because i have short hair at the front, i section off a large-ish area and cornrow the front (whilst damp).
When all is dry i undo (except that i keep in the cornrowed section) and pull it all back into a ponytail and then use a sock bun.

Do you finger comb your hair into the ponytail?

My natural hair is still quite short it ranges from about 5-8 inches. I put hair back in 4 canerows at night times so it's all stretched out and easy to put in a bun in the morning. At nights when I'm doing the canerows I always put oil or spritz with water then butter. And I always tie it down with a scarf so it doesn't frizz up.

Yep I stretch with braids but if I try to bun it hurts... I think the front is just too short...

If your hair is too short for a bun you can try two buns! Part your hair from ear to ear and bun the front hair and then the back hair. You could evn combine them together with pins :)

If your hair is too short for a bun you can try two buns! Part your hair from ear to ear and bun the front hair and then the back hair. You could evn combine them together with pins :)

That sounds like it would be cute. Do you (or anyone else) have any pictures of it done that way? My hair is long enough to fit into one bun, but for some reason I can't manage to get it all in one bun.

When my front hair was too short for the bun, I just used clips (see attached pic--really old). They have those "thick hair" kind that grip really well and can hold curly hair better.

I have to bun with wet or at least damp hair, or else my hair isn't stretched out or pliable enough. I definitely use a scarf, as well as something to give my hair a little hold and keep the frizzies at bay. I can use practically any styling product for that purpose, though.
I'll still get little fuzzies if it's been a long day (see second pic from a couple weeks ago), but not too bad. You gotta learn to embrace the fuzzy sometimes :lol:

Attachments

• Hair - 306.jpg
    Hair - 306.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 59
  • bun2.jpg
    bun2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 56
I use shea butter on my edges thats it! Works wonders for me. I wet/re-wet my hair and some shea butter and gently brush. Stays put even better if I tie on a scarf for a bit. Gel just doesn't work for me.

:wave: Hallo, mein schatz! (So excited to find another German dweller here.)

I usually put my hair up when it's wet and add either a leave in or some conditioner then put on a scarf for a little while. After I take it off, my hair gets pretty smooth.

How are you bunning your hair? I put up the back using the tie from an old durag. :look: Every once in a while I use a sock bun. I usually do this .

060.jpg

048.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Hallo, mein schatz! (So excited to find another German dweller here.)

I usually put my hair up when it's wet and add either a leave in or some conditioner then put on a scarf for a little while. After I take it off, my hair gets pretty smooth.

How are you bunning your hair? I put up the back using the tie from an old durag. :look: Every once in a while I use a sock bun. I usually do this .

060.jpg

048.jpg

Ahhh Germany! I usually try doing a wet bun. I simply smooth and twist my hair and secure it. I have only tried it a few times and I did not like the results. I have a difficult time getting the lumps and stuff out. I Like how wet buns look but I hate having wet hair all day long. Btw nice bun!

When my front hair was too short for the bun, I just used clips (see attached pic--really old). They have those "thick hair" kind that grip really well and can hold curly hair better.

I have to bun with wet or at least damp hair, or else my hair isn't stretched out or pliable enough. I definitely use a scarf, as well as something to give my hair a little hold and keep the frizzies at bay. I can use practically any styling product for that purpose, though.
I'll still get little fuzzies if it's been a long day (see second pic from a couple weeks ago), but not too bad. You gotta learn to embrace the fuzzy sometimes :lol:

When I first BCed I tried to smooth the fuzzies but I do not mind them now :)

I can't wait to be able to bun my hair. I will be throwing myself a party when I can!:lol: I can barely do 2 mini puffs now. Maybe in 6-8 more months...:pray:

DD, You will get there!!! I really wish I would have bced earlier to learn my hair a bit more and also for something different. I bced at 18 months and I'm 6 mths post my bc.

0032-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Love your bun! :grin:

I wish shea butter was the answer for my edges. I don't care much for gel.

Do you finger comb your hair into the ponytail?

I tease the braids apart like you would if you were to wear your hair out then pull back into a ponytail, smoothing and pinning stray strands with bobby pins. I don't fingercomb at all as that would cause frizz and it may break my hair.

I sometimes apply a gel like Lets Jam to smooth my hair's surface and edges and tie it with a scarf for while. Let's Jam is the only gel that doesn't make my hair hard and look seperated.

The only time a comb touches my head is when i've got conditioner on it on wash days.

Brownstallion and Prelude to a kiss Hallo und Guten Tag from another German girl .:grin:
Thx for all the tips to all the ladies in here

Back