Breakage and Buns! Anyone else have this?

Chimma

I wear a bun, and it's as if some of my hair is layered. A lot of the hairs growing in the front and sides of my head are just too short to put in the bun. I think my bun is breaking them even if it isn't a tight bun. My back hairs are always longer than my front and side hairs.

Also, I have a lot of random breakage. When I comb my hair, I get little short hairs on my back in addition to the hair on my comb. If I take out my scrunchie, I usually have like 5 short strands of hair on it that are broken. In general, whenever I comb my hair I lose some hairs, even if i've just finished combing it. If i run my hands through the ends of my hair, i get some short broken hairs. I don't lose too much by combing, but if I comb once and then comb again I still lose hairs even though I thought all the tangles where gone. Why is this? Does anyone else have this?

Isis

Are you airdrying your hair? If so, I've learned that it's best to only comb our hair to detangle, like under the shower when rinsing out conditioner, and after putting in a leave-in while our hair is still wet. After that, no more combing until the next wash. This reduces shedding dramatically. Are you combing your hair after it's been airdried?

Chimma

Yes, I usually airdry my hair and put it in a bun. Today I blowdryed it, and it seems stronger and more moisturized than usual - I have no idea why.

You should only comb out your hair to detangle? Does that mean that you should wash your hair every day or just not comb every day?

Isis

From what I've learned, this means not combing every day. The less manipulation, the better, especially for relaxed hair and very important for type 4 hair. I use my fingers to comb my hair in place and it's easy since it's going into a bun anyway. I wash with shampoo every 3 days.

Chimma

How do you fingercomb your hair? Pieces of my hair tend to clump together, and my hair never looks combed when I haven't combed with a comb. In fact, sometimes I feel that it doesn't look combed unless I run through it with a brush. Do you only fingercomb when you plan to wear a bun?

simplyhair

I am going thru the exact same thing except I haven't been using a bun. At first I was going to say it's because of the weather but saw that you are in CA. I'm in Chicago so I have to wear a hat with my hair down. Unfortunately, my stylist told me get rid of my hat or start wearing a scarf underneath it. The hat is possibly drying my hair and my ends are rubbing against my coat collar.

Well, come to think of it, my hair usually always does this (short ends on my back when I comb). I try to moisturize my hair and ends twice a day. I also believe it might be due to sitting back and my ends/length get caught or stuck behind me when I sit on the couch or chair. I have to remember to pull the hair to my front shoulder.

I'm still guessing what could be the cause. That's why I'm trying to figure out a good regime from this site. I'm probably going to try some of Carol's Daughter products.

greenidlady1

Are you using a silk scrunchie? Sometimes a cotton one can catch on your hair.
You might also try some extra moisture spray on the areas that will have extra stress or rub against your scrunchie to help protect and strengthen them against the wear and tear.
The baggie technique might help too.
Take care,
G

DahomeyAhosi

Leejure, the feature of the month, said she experienced breakage when she wore a bun in a certain way and started a thread about the correct way to wear a bun. If you do a search on her username you should find that thread and it may be helpful.

Chimma

Well, simplyhair, it's nice to see that I'm not alone. I wonder if anyone else has this problem as well besides us and fixed it.

greenidlady1, No, I only have cotton scrunchies although I might try that.

DahomeyAhosi, thanks, I did a search on leejure. I think that I am doing my buns like she did hers unfortunately! But although that solves the bun problem, I wish I knew what solved the tiny breakage hair and combing problem.

jainygirl

well, i was experiencing the same thing, but only after i airdried my hair and put it in a bun
i just try things from the board but not everything works for everyone the same way. I went back to blowdrying and have noticed a big difference right away. My hair is now only having it's regular shedding and some short broken hairs here there. Just about the same as before, i'm relieved. Also i use Leejures method of making a safe bun. HTH---jainygirl

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
I wear a bun, and it's as if some of my hair is layered. A lot of the hairs growing in the front and sides of my head are just too short to put in the bun. I think my bun is breaking them even if it isn't a tight bun. My back hairs are always longer than my front and side hairs.

Also, I have a lot of random breakage. When I comb my hair, I get little short hairs on my back in addition to the hair on my comb. If I take out my scrunchie, I usually have like 5 short strands of hair on it that are broken. In general, whenever I comb my hair I lose some hairs, even if i've just finished combing it. If i run my hands through the ends of my hair, i get some short broken hairs. I don't lose too much by combing, but if I comb once and then comb again I still lose hairs even though I thought all the tangles where gone. Why is this? Does anyone else have this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same problem! The hair on the sides broken/too short for the bun...
as for the broken hairs on the scrunchie, I found that using vaseline on that part of the hair lessened that problem greatly!

inthepink

I would definitely try using satin/silk scrunchies. I bought a whole packet at either Target/Walmart. Claire's has some also. I have not been getting any breakage from buns. In fact, my hair has been finally growing in healthy in the front and NOT breaking off the way it did when I wore my hair down constantly.

jainygirl

Hairlove--Your November update pics are really nice!!!
i think you are gonna do just fine when you do your big chop

Nyambura

surfer girl
Chimma ~ I agree with the other posters that have suggested satin/silk scrunchies and increasing the moisture to your hair. Maybe the products you're currently using aren't delivering as much moisture as your hair needs. Or maybe they're doing the trick but you need to increase how frequently you moisturize. Try not to comb or brush your hair without moisturizing it first. And if you haven't already, give distilled water a try. Do you ever use clarifying shampoos? Your hair might also be suffering from product buildup.

inthepink

Thanks Jainy...and um, what big chop are you referring to??
I'm not planning on chopping at all...only gradual trims and then I'll see where I am in 2 years!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
How do you fingercomb your hair? Pieces of my hair tend to clump together, and my hair never looks combed when I haven't combed with a comb. In fact, sometimes I feel that it doesn't look combed unless I run through it with a brush. Do you only fingercomb when you plan to wear a bun?

[/ QUOTE ]

After airdrying my hair (I usually use the ponytail rollerset method)it is pretty smooth and after I apply a daily leave-in I can easily finger comb it into a bun or French Twist(Roll) without any problems.
It isn't perfect like with a comb but it works for me and it's less manipulation.
And I too use both silk and satin scrunchies. The silk ones seem to work best on my hair with no breakage.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I also think that wearing your bun in the exact same position EVERYDAY will cause breakage, because certain sections of hair will experience tension each day. So, change your bun up--in fact it's a good idea to have 3 to 4 protective styles in your repertoire

asummertyme

this was happining to me as well and i dont use any scruncie at all at this point, i just twist my hair around.and around...someone said like a cinnamon bun, and use a few hair pins to secure, no scruncie, i feel better doing this b/c when i would take out my ouchless band i would still have little broken ends on it, and thats not cool....

Chimma

Thanks for the help! I guess I will start alternating with the braid to change up the protective style, and I will try bunning w/ no scrunchie or a silk/satin one. I wish I knew how to do a decent french twist though.

Chimma

My only problem with the french twist is that now that I am mostly natural, it is difficult for me to do one.

My hair is easy to comb. Because I'm a 4b, my natural hair looks almost straight. However, I have the problem that my hair is usually slightly poofy, and I can't seem to do an elegant french twist very well.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
asummertyme - your hair is GORGEOUS after a bun!!! Omg!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!
Where do u put your bun on your head? on top, back, etc?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
I also think that wearing your bun in the exact same position EVERYDAY will cause breakage, because certain sections of hair will experience tension each day. So, change your bun up--in fact it's a good idea to have 3 to 4 protective styles in your repertoire

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.