Brazilian Blowout banned in Ireland

Lucia

Frizzy hair smoothing product is banned - Republic of Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

t has transformed hundreds of women from frizzy geek to straight chic.

But a treatment which tames fuzzy hair into a shining, sleek mass has now been relegated to the dustbin by the medicine watchdog in the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish Medicines Board (IMB) yesterday confirmed 'Acai Professional Smoothing Solution', a product within the 'Brazilian Blowout' range, has been banned in Ireland.

The professional salon-only treatment has been taken off the shelves after it emerged it contains high levels of a substance which can lead to serious health consequences.

And hair stylists who use the treatment, which is manufactured in California, have been told to immediately stop -- due to the presence of unacceptable levels of the chemical formaldehyde, well-known for its use in preserving human remains.

Its makers said the product smoothed and conditioned the hair by creating a "protective protein layer" around the hair shaft to "reconstruct and strengthen" while eliminating frizz.

The end result was smooth, healthy, conditioned hair with radiant shine, the makers added, and the product was available in hairdressing salons throughout Ireland.

However, it has been found to contain formaldehyde levels in excess of that permitted for inclusion in cosmetic products under European and national legislation. Testing revealed the treatment contained levels of formaldehyde above the permitted amount of 0.2pc when used as a preservative.

The IMB yesterday confirmed it had not received reports to indicate a significant incidence of undesirable effects in relation to the product.

However, formaldehyde is a known irritant and it is feared that inhalation over a long period of time could lead to more serious health consequences.

The greatest risk of exposure is when the substance is being applied to hair.

During this time the hair will be heated as the stylist blows dry and then straightens the hair using straightening irons, which may cause the formaldehyde to vaporise.

Stylists and people to whom it is being applied may endure irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, as well as breathing difficulties.

The Irish Hairdressers' Federation said last night it was aware that a number of products, commonly known as 12-week blow-drys, had been recalled for further testing.

It advised its members to contact the supplier or manufacturer of the product they are using immediately for an update on its status.

"The IMB can confirm that the distribution of 'Acai Professional Smoothing Solution', a product within the 'Brazilian Blowout' range has ceased," a spokeswoman for the IMB said.

Read more: Frizzy hair smoothing product is banned - Republic of Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

ajargon02

There's a lot of ppl that have had reactions from the bkt. The makers claim there's no formaldehyde, but several studies show that there is in both the professional and home kit ( if I am understanding correctly ).IMHO, straight hair is SOOOOOO not worth risking my life with harsh chemicals that can cause SERIOUS health risks. I mean, we all know that someone isn't gonna just bkt once or twice and be happy. They are gonna do it repeatedly and inhaling the vapors of formaldehyde isn't a good thing......

prettybyrd

Many products we use on our hair have ingredients that release formaldehyde - the ingredient the IMB is trying to protect their citizens from. Consider DMDM Hydantoin or Imidazolidnyl Urea, they do both release formaldehyde - I suppose their issue is with the amount of formaldehyde released, though. It really isn't just the BKT ingredient, I wonder if they keep DMDM and IU off their shelves as well.

Urban

Many products we use on our hair have ingredients that release formaldehyde - the ingredient the IMB is trying to protect their citizens from. Consider DMDM Hydantoin or Imidazolidnyl Urea, they do both release formaldehyde - I suppose their issue is with the amount of formaldehyde released, though. It really isn't just the BKT ingredient, I wonder if they keep DMDM and IU off their shelves as well.

Exactly. I remember in one of my Toxicology units one of the first things the lecturerer first emphasized was a quote from Aristotle (I think), that said anything can be a poison, it's the dose that determines if it is so.

Now if you're using something that is stinging your eyes and it chokes you to the point that you have to put on a mask in order to use it.... I really think you should reconsider. I'm surprised some even use it on their children, considering. But hey, what do I know?

BlackHairDiva

I know I'm gonna sound dumb here....but what if a fume extractor is used? Is there anything we can use to make this procedure safer?I plan to purchase 2 fume extractors. I also use a mask and gloves

lalla

Urea is bad?

Urea is not dangerous at correct usage levels.
However, Imidazolidnyl Urea, obtained through the reaction of allantoin ( good) and formaldehyde (very bad) in the presence of sodium hydroxyde ( =lye) is a preservative that can be used at up to 0.6% in the European Union. It is also a formaldehyde releaser.

For more info, see here and here.

imaccami

I think it was banned in Brazil too. It's probably only a matter of time before it's banned here.

Not surprising that it was popular in Ireland since so many irish people have curly hair that's really frizzy.

Fine 4s

Testing, testing one-two.
I posted in this thread earlier but can't see it now.
I'm having some serious issues with this new LHCF :(