Braid Wearers- How Do You Keep Your Hairline from Thinning?

Phoenix

I have a question for you guys...

I've been wearing Senegalese Twists since November 2004 and I plan to wear them until the end of the year.

Lately I've noticed that my hairline is looking a little thin. It could just be my imagination...but it seems like I can see a little more scalp than usual. Anyway, I want to address it before it gets to be a real problem.

My twists are not super tiny and they weren't put in too tight. How much of the hairline is supposed to be braided? I mean, should I just leave that hair out next time? Maybe the twists are too small? I think the ones at the hairline are a little smaller than the other ones. I'm just trying to figure out what could be causing this.

Anyay, I took out the twists at my hairline (but now I'm worried that that may just cause more breakage) and I've been using ORS temple serum. I also try not to pull them back into a pony tail too often because I think that stresses the hairline. What should I do?!?!?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Miz_Complexity

Hello Phoenix, I would suggest if you have some one braiding you hair ask them not to braid tight around your hair line.

If you braid your hair your self be gentle treat your hair line like a baby. You have to be extra careful.If you wear your braids in a pony tail don't pull you hair tight when you put it up. Don't sleep in in them either.Wear your hair down if you have to, so ther won't be more tention placed on your hair line.

I usually reinforce my hairline when I have braids by a using Organic Root Stimulator Temple balm and Profectiv Temple Balm the one in the small yellow container.

Another thing that destroys the hairline is a scarf. The number 1 culprit for weaken hair lines are COTTON SCARVES. If you wear these on a daily basis this will rub you hair out. I notice allot of my friends who do that and they whined up being bald on their hairlines and around the temples.

Keep your hair moisturize your hair everyday so it won't dry out. Take your vitamins and fully your routine.

I hope this helps.

Kitkat

I agree with Miz Complexity. Braiding or twisting too tight will take a real toll on your hairline. Aside from that, the only thing that comes to mind is not being super careful when taking out braids. It can be frustrating and take a long time to remove braids, so some people rush through the process. That's a no-no, especially around the fragile hairline. Yanking and tugging at this area can cause the hair to rip out.

Keep using the ORS Temple Balm. It's really good stuff. Good luck.:)

czyfaith77

I adore wearing braids as a protective style. It isn't for everyone but, it is useful in growing hair especially when you don't really want to see what is going on. I have worn them off and on for a while but what helped most is using Infusium 23 Leave In Conditioner. This and frequent washings with CON kept my hair moist and strong. I have learned many things about wearing braids from Robin of the Crown & Glory Technique. I also take vitamins which help. Also, it is important not to wear you hair up in tension hair do's especially to bed. I wear either a satin scarf and I have a pretty pink satin pillowcase from Wal-mart (@5.00) Great investments. Remember, the front and sides are just like the back of your hair, you have to avoid alot of tension and friction. I wish you well. Don't be discouraged!

Last edited:

OnPoint

I would recommend not braiding the really fine hairs on the hairline. It may look a little messy, but it will save your hairline. Also if you wear your hair in a ponytail, do not pull the edges tightly. That will cause you to lose a lot of hair.

Shatani

OnPoint said:
I would recommend not braiding the really fine hairs on the hairline. It may look a little messy, but it will save your hairline. Also if you wear your hair in a ponytail, do not pull the edges tightly. That will cause you to lose a lot of hair.
i agree...its not necessary to snatch up every little hair.

LABETT

Shatani said:
i agree...its not necessary to snatch up every little hair.
That's exactly right and I also dont relax my hairline with each touch up I skip if I dont have a lot of newgrowth in that area.

carmend

As others have suggested I try not to braid too tight on the edges and also try and redo the edge braids once they start to slip to far. This helps prevent hair loss from tension. I also apply ORS Fertilizing temple balm (pic) daily to my edges while I am wearing braids. Its does wonders on growing back thin edges...

Ashee

OnPoint said:
:thumbsup:

HoneyDew

I get a perimeter touch up every 2 weeks and I make aure the braider knows that I don't want my edges braided too tightly. I never let them braid the little hairs which they try to do, at times.

_lovelyness

I wish I had this info earlier ! I just took my braids out, and unfortunatly I'm left with 2 mini bald spots on my temples ! I felt like crying !!
I blame the high ponytails, because my braids definitely weren't too tight, and I took care of them correctly.
Now I'm hoping the jar of minoval plus I just bought will do the trick, or else I'll have to buy that ORS fertilizinf stuff !
The only positive side of the story is that I have ALOT of growth !

Phoenix

Thanks for all the suggestions. Next time I get my hair braided I will definitely leave more of the hairline out. Aside from that, I think I've been doing the other things you all mentioned. I do occasionally forget and sleep with it in a ponytail...so I'll have to stop that.

carmend

If what u have doesnt work try the ORS twice a day until the bald spots fill in. Quite a few yrs ago I had braids and somebody stepped on one while I was laying on the floor and I didnt know it and tried to get up. The WHOLE braid nearly came completely off my head. It was literally "hangin on by a string" :p And of course of all places it had to be on the edge :mad: So I had a like a dime sized bald spot. The ORS is the only thing I used that actually caused that hair to grow back.... Thats why now I use it religiously on my edges when I wear braids....

_lovelyness said:
I wish I had this info earlier ! I just took my braids out, and unfortunatly I'm left with 2 mini bald spots on my temples ! I felt like crying !!
I blame the high ponytails, because my braids definitely weren't too tight, and I took care of them correctly.
Now I'm hoping the jar of minoval plus I just bought will do the trick, or else I'll have to buy that ORS fertilizinf stuff !
The only positive side of the story is that I have ALOT of growth !

eboniwoman

lil bunny
Well I am wearing braids right now. I just had the braider leave my temples and edges out of the picture. It sounds funny and I am sure you would think you'd be able to see my hair hanging but I wear my braids down. I just moisturize my loose hair.

Nonie

You've got great advice so far (not to snatch up every hair and not to braid too tightly). I also want to add that it's important that if you're adding hair for length or thickness, that each section of your hair not have to carry more hair than it is thick. This is particularly important for the hair line.

Also, someone talked about touching up the perimeter. This too is sth that could save your hairline. The minute your twists or braids get loose at the base, due to growth or just the hair sliding, the pressure exerted by each braid/twists seems to hurt (at least for me) and it feels like the whole thing will break off. So make sure you maintain the twist or braid starting at the base to reduce that swing that makes breakage inevitable. (I know someone on this forum shared this before, and I might not be explaining it properly so if you know what I mean, please help me describe it.)

Lastly, if you don't want to take chances. how about not adding extensions to the hairline area. Last year, I took this precaution, even though I've never had a problem with hairline thinning since I do my own braids. But just to be on the safe side, I left out extension along my hairline and did mini cornrows using just my hair. Here's what I mean:

And there's also the option of creating bangs...either with just your hair or shorter extensions. That way, less strain on the hairline...and no risk of pulling the hair back too tight when putting it in a pony and causing thinning either coz your bang will always be left hanging free. ;)

Shatani

Also, someone talked about touching up the perimeter. This too is sth that could save your hairline. The minute your twists or braids get loose at the base, due to growth or just the hair sliding, the pressure exerted by each braid/twists seems to hurt (at least for me) and it feels like the whole thing will break off. So make sure you maintain the twist or braid starting at the base to reduce that swing that makes breakage inevitable. (I know someone on this forum shared this before, and I might not be explaining it properly so if you know what I mean, please help me describe it.)

i know exactly what you mean, nonie....when the front braids get too loose, whether it be from growth or excessive scratching, any little movement up there hurts my scalp....i usually just ditch the extensions at that point where my scalp starts hurting...but if its just hangin off there and especially if theres more extension hair than your actual hair can support, its definitely dangerous for your edges...

Shatani

also, there was someone else (whose name i cant remember for the life of me) who basically just braided up her own hair and added the extensions midway down the braid....doing it that way, it looked like natural braids!!! i saw the pics in her album and they looked really good....i really wish i could remember her name!!

Shatani

eboniwoman said:
I don't understand...midway? I am trying to get a visual?
its like, she parts the square and just starts braiding her hair....then after an inch or two, she adds the extension hair and just continues the braid it....i think thats a cool way, cuz you can see how big your own braid is and add the appropriate amount of hair...it looks like you just have long hair that you braided!

Diane71

I'm currently wearing braids till my touch-up time in July and what I do to keep my hairline along with the rest of my scalp moisturized is I wash my braids once per week or every 8-10 days, apply a good leave-in (I use Daily Doctor w/ Surge), use Biotin Creme on my egdes, and Jason's scalp elixer and a hair tonic I created all over my scalp and allow to air dry. All of these things is growing my hair out super fast and my hair is getting thicker.

Hair type and texture: 4b thick and course
public.fotki.com/Diane71/ pics coming in July!!!

Shatani

Diane71 said:
I'm currently wearing braids till my touch-up time in July and what I do to keep my hairline along with the rest of my scalp moisturized is I wash my braids once per week or every 8-10 days, apply a good leave-in (I use Daily Doctor w/ Surge), use Biotin Creme on my egdes, and Jason's scalp elixer and a hair tonic I created all over my scalp and allow to air dry. All of these things is growing my hair out super fast and my hair is getting thicker.
oooh, do tell! whats in your hair tonic??

Diane71

Hmmm, you really wanna know?? Well, its nothing special. I mix Hairever Scalp Treatment, Surge Plus 14, Daily Doctor Leave-in and about 10 drops of Rosemary EO. I shake that up in an applicator bottle and apply it to my scalp every other day. My new growth is coming in faster and thicker.

Hair goal: 5 inches past bra strap by Dec. 2005
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71/
Pics coming in July!!!!