Black People's Hair Doesn't Grow That Long...

seraphim712

Is what my neighbor stated last night when she was staring in disbelief at Balisi's facebook salon photos.

I was setting up my appointment online and decided to take a look at hair photos of her clients. Believe me when I say every woman's hair in that gallery is absolutely gorgeous and a work of art. Balisi does an excellent excellent job.:yep:

I knew my neighbor was having hair problems of her own and needed someone to do her hair. Of course I suggested Balisi and gave my neighbor one of her business cards. I also explained to her that she would receive a free consultation first before an appointment is set.

My neighbor of course was still unsure, so I showed her the salon website and the gallery of women who had their hair done. My neighbor kept staring at the BSL ladies and shaking her head saying "That's a weave, there's no way black women can grow their hair that long." I was like "No that's their hair, even Balisi's hair is that long, and yes black women can grow their hair that long."

She kept looking and said, "Black people's hair doesn't grow that long." The only pics she found to be believable were the ladies that their hair straw set, or was above shoulder length and the hispanic lady's hair pics. I then told her that if black people's hair didn't grow that long, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it has now(believe me, she's seen my hair much shorter than it is now) or black guys wouldn't have cornrolls down their back let alone dreadlocks.

Even my neighbor's hair is shoulder length when unstretched, so I'm thinking that her hair is actually APL if she had it flatironed. I really want her to go to Balisi's Salon so she can be a believer and have confidence that her own hair can get that long. I notice that she is balding slightly due to tons of stress, and I mean tons!!! She doesn't have time to nuture her own hair because she runs her own limo business and has to take care of her handicapped brother who can't do much for himself. So she just puts a curl activator and a straw set in every few weeks to save her time to handle other matters.

I really want to help her out, but it's diffucult trying to convince a person much older than I am. I am glad that she is getting the consultation though so that is some progress made. :grin:

I just wanted to share this, since I'm use to reading you ladies' testamonies on here about how your friends and loved ones take the 'black people's hair don't grow' myths and run with them until you come around to debunk these false assumptions and do your best to educate and help them. :yep:

Last edited:

pazyamor

I have older female family members who think that way too...when I told them this Thanksgiving that I was going for Waist length in two years (which is believable, at the rate my hair grows...I hope), thay all looked at me like I was crazy; this was, of course, after my great aunt looked at my roller set (which I thought hid my fluffy roots) and said, "girl, you want me to put you a perm in? I got some extra perm upstairs" and I replied, "No thanks, I'm trying to cut my relaxing down to four or five times a year". Now when I said that, all heads turned...it was ridiculous!! So, now that I've hijacked your thread...yea, you know, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...or something like that...okay, I'ma shut up now.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I just wanted to say thanks for the link. Balisi's work is ---I can't think of a word to describe it! I wish I lived near Atlanta, she would be my stylist for sure.

seraphim712

I have older female family members who think that way too...when I told them this Thanksgiving that I was going for Waist length in two years (which is believable, at the rate my hair grows...I hope), thay all looked at me like I was crazy; this was, of course, after my great aunt looked at my roller set (which I thought hid my fluffy roots) and said, "girl, you want me to put you a perm in? I got some extra perm upstairs" and I replied, "No thanks, I'm trying to cut my relaxing down to four or five times a year". Now when I said that, all heads turned...it was ridiculous!! So, now that I've hijacked your thread...yea, you know, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...or something like that...okay, I'ma shut up now.

I understand what you're saying. It's very aggravating because it's this mentality that black people can't succeed in anything that gets me fired up. If you notice, the list of myths seems to go on and on about what black people can't achieve. This is the reason why I want to be an eye opener for many who are still doubting.

NYLegalNewbie

I understand what you're saying. It's very aggravating because it's this mentality that black people can't succeed in anything that gets me fired up. If you notice, the list of myths seems to go on and on about what black people can't achieve. This is the reason why I want to be an eye opener for many who are still doubting.

Okay. I think it's uncanny that you just said that because I was JUST thinking about that.

I keep asking myself - why is it such a big deal that I grow my hair longer? Do I really think that I'm that much less attractive without longer hair? I know the answer is NO because I'm really happy with my appearance...and I get asked out all the time by good looking guys!!! :lachen:

So, I was like, WHAT is it?

What you said is EXACTLY the reason why I am so hell bent on growing my hair long. To break out of one more myth that's designed to keep Black people's self esteem down.

I mean, think about...in virtually every culture around the world, long hair is associated with beauty and femininity.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Okay. I think it's uncanny that you just said that because I was JUST thinking about that.

I keep asking myself - why is it such a big deal that I grow my hair longer? Do I really think that I'm that much less attractive without longer hair? I know the answer is NO because I'm really happy with my appearance...and I get asked out all the time by good looking guys!!! :lachen:

So, I was like, WHAT is it?

What you said is EXACTLY the reason why I am so hell bent on growing my hair long. To break out of one more myth that's designed to keep Black people's self esteem down.

I mean, think about...in virtually every culture around the world, long hair is associated with beauty and femininity.

Great response! I agree, as someone who comes from a family of different hair types, textures and lengths, hair grows, and it's simply a matter of how you take care of your hair that allows it to take shape and flourish.

Keep breaking the myth- one head of hair at a time.