BKT Users? Yes or No

TwistNMx

Hello BKT users, hair experts, and those who know people who have done it.
Do you or have you ever used the BKT on your hair? Did you do it yourself or go to a salon? How does this treatment gel with you?
I've been curiously looking at the possibilities (with caution) and would like to know what your opinion is on the whole thing.
I understand that some people have told me that there's no formaldehyde in the BKT products anymore. Is this true? Is it highly chemicalized, etc?
I've even seen signs near my home that advertise formaldehyde free BKT, but I'm not so trusting because of the smell I'm told about. What do you "all" think. Could this be damaging to the hair?

Thanks for your input in advance.

winnettag

Hello BKT users, hair experts, and those who know people who have done it.
Do you or have you ever used the BKT on your hair? Did you do it yourself or go to a salon? How does this treatment gel with you?
I've been curiously looking at the possibilities (with caution) and would like to know what your opinion is on the whole thing.
I understand that some people have told me that there's no formaldehyde in the BKT products anymore. Is this true? Is it highly chemicalized, etc?
I've even seen signs near my home that advertise formaldehyde free BKT, but I'm not so trusting because of the smell I'm told about. What do you "all" think. Could this be damaging to the hair?

Thanks for your input in advance.

I have BKT'd my hair twice. Both times I did it myself at home.
I like it on my hair a lot. It's more manageable and if I want to wear it straight I feel like it's more protected than straightening without it. It's also helped with my SSK issue, but straightening in general helps with that as well.
There are some formaldeyde free formulas, but I've heard that even those have a tiny amount in it.....don't really know about that part though.
Of course it could be damaging to the hair....but you could say that for a lot of things we do to our hair, including chemical or heat treatments or even just bad reactions to regular products that induce shedding or breakage.
I would just recommend doing a strand test and seeing what the long term effects are (waiting a few months for it to wear off) before trying it all over your hair.
Good luck and let us know whatever you decide :)