best stand up driers--i need one

NAY007

hey everybody,
i really want to buy me one of those stand up driers or hooded driers i guess you call them. please help me out and let me know which ones are good. i've already looked on the internet and found this one
http://www.ebonyline.com/50215.html

i also found this one (the second one)
http://www.beautyofasite.com/Shop/Tools/Wigo/bonnet.htm

and then since i asked this question on the other hair board i got this advice
http://salonequipmentintl.com/indexfolder/dryers/514/index.html

i would really appreciate your help on this.

and also thanks for all the ladies who replied on my very first post! i wanted to write another post also but i don't know how to reply.. how do i do that????
thanks everybody.

porkypig007

I can't tell you about the various capabilities and such but from looking, I would probably get the first one; my mother has that one that you set on a top (the second one) and it's very uncomfortable. She constantly has to maneuver, but it could work if you sit just right. The third one is kinda bulky for me but seems like it would have the capabilities of a hair salon dryer. Me personally, I'm getting a soft bonnet dryer 'cuz I'm gonna be in a dorm and I don't want my roomate going

And to reply, look on the right hand side at the top of your posts, the right of the subject line, there's a reply link on there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
That was me that recommended AmiLion's dryer on the other board. I'm not stalking you, I promise! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was going to get the first one (Conair/Babyliss) but someone on this board owns it and said the bonnet is kind of small and it's difficult to get a head full of giant rollers underneath it. (I was be using the dryer for roller wraps to straighten my hair.) If you have a small head this one might work. I don't. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The Hot Tools and the Lady Dazey dryers got good reviews.

NAY007

hey sassygirl, thanks for your reply on the other board. how can i get in touch with amillion???? her drier looks really professional and also as if it has a lot of power.
did you get one yet?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
how can i get in touch with amillion????

[/ QUOTE ]

Just start a new topic with a subject line that reads something like: Paging AmiLion or ATTN: AmiLion, etc. She's real good about responding quickly.
Good Luck with your dryer!

VALLEYGIRL

I just got the Hot Tools one and that sucker gets hot!!!
(thanks to Allandra, Sunshine and Carmella 25 for the recommendation)
I haven't used it to roller set yet but just for a deep conditioning and it got so hot I had to turn it down ...that was only after about 10 minutes...
10 times better than the el cheapo Gold n Hot piece of crap that I had.

BTW Hot Tools and Lady Dazey are both made by Helen of Troy so the dryers should be pretty similar. The Lady Dazey is a little cheaper dollar wise but I couldn't find it locally.

Nay you can buy the Hot Tools at www.ballbeauty.com for about 45.00 if you are interested.

HTH
Valleygirl

A

AmilLion

Hello Nay and welcome to the board.

Now as far as hood dryers go, I purchased the Babyliss hair dryer, for me that's a waste of money. The hard hat's very little and it looks as if it will not trap any time of heat or air to dry your hair in a timely fashion. If you roller set your hair and have to use rollers any bigger than the pink (small-medium size roller), your head will not fit.

As far as the portable bonnet dryers, I've owned some in the past. I'm not a fan of them. I find that you spend 30 minutes attempting to prop the contraption to sit under for 1-2 hours under intense heat. For me, no go...too many neck cramps.

Now the hood dryer I purchased recently by Pibbs is by far the best. I've even noticed many high end salons (in New York) are using them. What I like about this hood dryer is, its basically a fan shooting warm-hot hair. You lift the front, get under and close it. The bottom is curled under to trap ALL AIR. Because it acts like a fan, you have blowing effect which gives a universal drying effect in a confined area. This is why my hair's able to dry within 25-30 flat on a cool-warm setting. I initially thought in order to dry your hair, the dryer had to be warm-hot, but since purchasing this dryer, I find this "Myth" to be completely untrue. If your dryer can give a blowing effect with some heat, your hair will dry much faster. At least mine as well as my mother.

I hope I was able to help you out.

P.S. The dryer's quite expensive. I purchased it here in the states for $200. But it was worth EVERY PENNY and more.

pebbles

Hey AmilLion, I ordered the Kwik Dri for christmas! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait to get it. The lady at sally's said it's the best standup drier. Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allandra

ValleyGirl,

I don't use the highest/hottest setting on my Dazy Natural Wonder because it does get too hot. Try turning it down some (maybe the next one down). I like to be comfortable when I'm under my dryer, and for me, not using the highest/hottest setting helps.

NAY007

thanks for all the answers and advice.

amillion,
i think i will order your drier. it will cost some money though but it will be my christmas present. do you use big rollers for your hair or rather medium sized ones?? how many heat settings does this drier have? and also is it very loud? also how long is your hair right now because you said it dries your hair in about 30 minutes.
thanks.

pebbles,
where did you order your drier from? and how much did it cost you total with shipping? also please let me know how it works when you used it a couple of times.

thanks.

A

AmilLion

I don't have photos posted as of yet, but my hair's about 3" maybe 2" from my bra strap. I use the large Gray rollers when roller setting my hair.

Overall it dries rather quickly. I have 4a/4b type hair and my mother has 3b or maybe 3a. Both of our hair dries within the same time frame.

pebbles

Hi Nay007,

I ordered mine from Sally's Beauty supply. The total came to $256.00. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

Pebbles, I'm sure you'll really love the dryer. Keep me posted /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pebbles, I'm sure you'll really love the dryer. Keep me posted

[/ QUOTE ]

I will. Thanks! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

T

Tee

Amillion,

Where did you get your Pibb's dryer? Also, what is the model number?

Thanks!

Okay, I am about to take the plunge and order the Kwik dry 514 fro J&R (It is currently on sale for 249 + shipping. One last question.

Sometimes I use the green (XL) magnetic rollers (I think they are like 3 or more inches). Will I be able to use the Pibbs with these rollers?

Last edited:

offthechainliz

:scratchch I've been considering one of these. It's probably over all better for hair health then the bonnet dryer i bought as walmart :ohwell: