Best products for slicking hair for buns and ponytails?

GraceJones

Right now I use Carols Daughter Goddess Strength Shaping and Smoothing Balm as a leave in after washing and conditioning and the Doux Big Poppa as a gel. Then I also use She is Bomb Edge Control gel as a last layer. My hair frizzes up during the day anyway.

i used to use the Olive Oil EcoStyler and it did absolutely nothing for me. I would also like a product that keeps my hair soft. I don’t like using gel that makes my hair hard.

Last edited:
Right now I use Carols Daughter Goddess Strength Shaping and Smoothing Balm as a leave in after washing and conditioning and the Doux Big Poppa as a gel. Then I also use She is Bomb Edge Control gel as a last layer. My hair frizzes up during the day anyway.

i used to use the Olive Oil EcoStyler and it did absolutely nothing for me. I would also like a product that keeps my hair soft. I don’t like using gel that makes my hair hard.
@Napp is a pro at this! I hope she sees this. She can give you some great advice. Her buns are smooth, soft and laid down. I mentioned her because she has a great list of gel products available in the US. My products work for me, but I am outside the US and the stuff I use is often cobbled together and off brands here in France.

The problem with gels and edge tamers is sometimes they can leave that overly fake sheeny shine on the hair, even using a little bit. I really hate that.

Lately I’ve been using Ouai Matte Pomade, there is no shine per se, it’s not a strong hold admittedly but I make work by using a mousse underneath, apply the pomade then set with the scarf. It does make my bun nice and sleek.

I’m very interested in hearing some other suggestions.

My strands are fine so I need only water, leave in, then mousse. I’m currently liking the Mixed Chicks mousse.

Ecostyler klear, but I like a hard hold, the cast will soften and it still holds firmly. Are you brushing the product into your hair with a boar bristle hair brush and laying it down with a scarf?

I personally like Wetline gel topped with bee girl from the doux.. this gives me all day hold

I used Taliah Waajid Shea-Coco Leave-In Condition Spray with She is Bomb Edge Control on top to hold my bun. That sleeked my bun down pretty nicely, but my hair really isn't that soft. I would like something a bit softer that will give me a nice sheen as well.

Do you think using edge control as a gel is harmful to hair health? I have low porosity hair.

I also make sure I smooth with my hands as well as a medium and soft boar bristle brush. I also tie it down in the morning while I get ready for work.

Back