Bald Spots

Besides sickness and stress or the side effect from a medicine, what else causes bald spots. Today I parted my hair in the middle and saw a bald spot like in the middle of the part. I immediately put some castor oil on it and wrapped my hair to avoid getting mad over what I cant change but I would really like to get to the bottom if this.

pebbles

Hi Meinzzfuture,

For me, things that caused bald spots in the past were: relaxer residue left on my head in certain sections, ponytail combs worn everyday eventually caused me to experience breakage in the middle of my head. I know to remove one of those combs now(thanks adrienne). I sleep on my right side and used to get bald spots on occasion. In those instances, I didn't protect my hair and slept on regular cotton pillowcases. /images/graemlins/frown.gif That caused some problems for years until I finally figured out what the problem was. Good luck and I hope you discover what caused this for you soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

L

legs71

Meinzzfuture,

I had the same thing happen to me about 3 months ago. One day I parted my braid extensions and there was a bald spot in the middle of a part. I could not understand how this could happen it had me so /images/graemlins/confused.gif. Well, thank God it has grown back in and that episode is far behind me. I think my problem came from my hair being pulled tight in that specific area when I had cornrow extensions last summer. That one little spot was always scaly and very tender to touch. I think when your scalp experience trauma whether it be the entire scalp or a small area eventually that hair falls out. I just made sure I frequently cleansed with seabreeze and massaged vitamin e oil in that area frequently. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

G

I keep a perpetual bald spot/short spot in the back of my head. I suspect it is due to that area being weak and my need to pull it back in spite of this fact.

MissJ

Well, when I was in 4th grade, I contracted some kind of fungus that left me with a HUGE bald spot in the top of my head. So, I started going to a dermatologist every week. I remember getting checked out of school every Friday to go to the doctor. My friends thought I was terminally ill or something. I never told them what was going on, though. How embarrassing. Anyway, I just took some anti-fungal medicine for a few months and started going to the hair dresser. My hair eventually grew back.

Kitkat

Hang in there, girl. I found a thinning spot in the crown area on my scalp about 2 weeks ago. After freaking out, I picked up some ORS Temple Balm last week. Since I just started using it, I don't know how it's going to work. Some of the ladies here posted getting positive results from using this product and something else called Nioxin Follicle Boster. I know it's frustrating - we think we're making all this progress, then when we're combing our hair and see balding/thinning areas, it's like WTF??? I'm trying to see it as a minor setback, which unfortunately seems to be a part of this whole hair journey thingie. You have a beautiful head of hair and I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the problem.

hairfanatic

It could be tension from pulling your hair too tight, using a shampoo that is not good for your scalp, chemical treatments, diet or illness. I would carefully look at your routine, products you use and how you wear your hair first. Something as simple as washing your hair more often to keep your scalp clean could be a key. I just think when you see hair and scalp problems the first thing is to really pay attention to your routine.