Ayurvedic Hair Types & Oils to use

shellatl

I found this on another hair forum, hope it's useful

Ayurvedic Hair Types & Oils to use

I read an interesting article on pioneerthinking.com. Gurus might know this already, but I think it's some good information for us newbies to the site and hair research in general.

Basically it says that according to Ayurvedic beliefs hair is differentiated into 2 types and the oils you use on your hair should be based on what type your hair is.
  • If your hair is thin, dry and frizzy and prone to split ends - you have Vata predominant hair.
  • If you have fine hair prone to premature thinning or greying, then you have Pitta predominant hair.
  • If your hair is thick and oily - then you have Kapha predominant hair.
The best oils to use for massage of the hair and scalp to counter the negative aspects of the different predominant hair types is apparently as follows :
  • Vata Hair - Almond or Sesame Oil as a base (nourishing and reduce stiffness in the scalp);
  • Pitta Hair - Coconut Oil which retards thinning and premature greying;
  • Kapha Hair - Olive Oil or Sesame Oil - ourifying that keeps pores open
  • All Hair Types - Rosemary and Lavender to stimulate hair follicles and promote growth, balance oil production and replenish the hair and scalp.
Some more tips for oil use :
  • Warm the oil before massage by placing in a bowl of hot water
  • Leave the oil for 30-60 minutes
  • Dip a towel in hot water, wring it out and wrap your head for added conditioning and softening.
  • Shampoo out and style as usual

Lakshmi S

just like our body types one can be dual or even triple. so ones hair can be just the same.

Om Tat Sat

asubeauty

Thanks for the info!!! I have the Vata type hair, and I bought almond oil before I knew about this. Crazy... :lol: