At a Natural hair salon?

IrrationalThoughts

I think a hustle is a hustle, relaxed or natural. Being natural doesn't automatically mean scruples...she was trying to make more money.

Nasdaq_Diva

Watching now..

eta: Yeah that was some bullish. I wish she would've cut the machines off on me. I can't believe she was trying to talk her into holding onto her ends..and not BC'ing..

I had my sister BC my hair in the kitchen, at the table. FOR F-R-E-E lol...

Last edited:

Gibsongal

Shameful. The stylist was trying to make more money off of her. She should have just left the chair as soon as the stylist refused to do what she wanted. Even if her hair was half cut, she could have just gone to a barber or a Supercuts and have them finish the job.

But maybe there weren't any in her area???? I hate she had to go through all that. She sounded pretty frustrated.

Bun Mistress

This is the strangest story I have heard esp from a natural salon. I go to two different natural stylist (I live in a different city now, when I go home I go to another). Why would you argue with some one who wanted to cut their hair, BC or otherwise???? I know my one stylist wants me to BC and I said the first time No I'm going to transition and she was like fine, you have beautiful health hair. She has dealt with my hair ever since (and I have gone in their with some serious knots :lachen:). I'm glad she reported the salon on the BBB.

naturalmanenyc

Sorry, but there is no way that she should have been at the hair salon from 4:30 p.m. to 9 pm to get a BC and left with some crazy style she did not want. The discussion about locks should never have even happened.

Why do so many women not speak up at a hair salon?

KnottyGurl

I don't think the stylist was shocked, concerned, whatever. She was trying to stretch out the visits to ensure she would continue making money off of her. :nono: I think she should have left immediately.

And when she went to the ATM and said she didn't have change for $20, she would have gotten $60 since I don't have change and I'm getting charged ATM fees.

Americka

I don't think the stylist was shocked, concerned, whatever. She was trying to stretch out the visits to ensure she would continue making money off of her. :nono: I think she should have left immediately.
That is exactly what I thought. A barber would have cut and shaped her hair in less than 45 minutes.

And when she went to the ATM and said she didn't have change for $20, she would have gotten $60 since I don't have change and I'm getting charged ATM fees.
Hmph! She turned off all of her machines? Oh well... Turn 'em back on! :rolleyes:

Tamster

this is so messed up. I'm shocked she stayed there that long. I hope thesalon suffers from a poor BBB rating eventually.

dynamic1

Obviously by "thick" chick meant nappy/ugly. The stylist was stuck on seeing that curl pattern. Hmph.

Don't forget - too short.

This stylist imposed her own beliefs on the client. Even naturals sometime believe certain textures should only be worn in locs or a relaxer. Also, cutting her into an afro meant less revenue for her in the future.

She would not get my $80. I wouldn't be going to the ATM at night because the stylist didn't tell me to bring cash.

Vashti

That was really unprofessional. It's amazing what so many women put up with because they're too nice to speak up. Sad to say I was in the same boat years ago. Sometimes it's easier to do your own hair than fight with a lazy hair stylist. :(

Nasdaq_Diva

She would not get my $80. I wouldn't be going to the ATM at night because the stylist didn't tell me to bring cash.
Girl, who you telling. When I heard her start talking about going to the ATM I was like :nono: Had it been me, she would've been restarting that register so I use my card. And dont even get me started on the price she charged that girl...

andromeda

Her experience seems like its symptomatic of what many LHCFers have said about the current natural "movement" being insincere in some respects - basically that it's a trend/fad and that it has a very specific texture in mind. Any popular trend that creates a demand will attract people looking to capitalize on that trend. Just because the thing at the focus of the trend is "positive" doesn't mean that businesses looking to make money off it are particularly positive or high-quality themselves. In fact, a trend that is perceived as particularly "popular" and "good" will often attract particularly "bad" characters. I would liken it to how scam charity organizations pop up when there's a disaster that a lot of people want to donate money to. Combine that tendency with the fact that a lot people (consumers and stylists) aren't so much set on the idea of "being natural - full stop" but rather enamored with the fantasy "being natural - with delicious curls, etc" - and you have a recipe for the type of situation in the video.

I'm not going to criticize the lady who made the video because I know that hindsight is 20/20 and some people are non-confrontational - she even admitted herself that she was "too nice" and she did take the time to file a complaint after the fact. Here are my takeaways:
1) Get a referral. Noting that a salon has "natural" in its name or claims to cater to naturals isn't performing your due diligence as a consumer.
2) As hairmaster said, get a consultation.
3) Set expectations for yourself and the stylist and let those expectations be known. Expectations for yourself (how much time and service errors are you willing to put up with; how and when will you leave the situation if it goes wrong), expectations for the stylist (style and service they're expected to provide, method of payment they accept and what will be the consequences if they don't so properly, ie they will not get paid if they don't provide the requested service)
4) Listen to your gut. Listen and observe the stylists words, behavior and reactions (are they wincing and making a stank face at your naps?). When the hairstylist makes it obvious that they're not on the same page with you and DON'T WANT to be on the same page with you it's time to leave. I mean the stylist straight up refused to do what she asked because her hair was too "thick" and would be an afro if she BCd (perish the thought!:nono:) and then told her that her options were sister locking, transitioning further, or RELAXING. That was the cue right there.
5)Do not pay [full price] for services that weren't rendered. It shouldn't even get to the point that you feel like you have to pay because they stylist has spent hours performing a service that you didn't want.

Last edited:

AfroKink

I would have taken the scissors and continued the cut myself. And if she did manage to talk me into a style and ask for payment, I would have told her that she needs to turn the machines back on if she wants me to pay her.

Ladies do not let a STRANGER follow you to the ATM at night. You don't know if she is ready you knock you in the back of your head and steal all your money. Keep yourself safe!

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
wonder if she eventually did the BC?? she has no updated videos....would be interesting to know. hopefully the wayward stylist didn't turn her off to doing her BC....

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I would have walked out when she refused to do my BC. :rolleyes: I pay you to do what I want. She was too nice. I would have given the chick 60$ and said since you don't have change, I'll come back tomorrow.:lachen: Very pushy and unprofessional.:sad:

DeepBluSea

Sorry, but there is no way that she should have been at the hair salon from 4:30 p.m. to 9 pm to get a BC and left with some crazy style she did not want. The discussion about locks should never have even happened.

Why do so many women not speak up at a hair salon?

OMG! I am starting to lose sympathy with all these hair horror stories. This lady sounds very smart and logical. Why put up with this crap? So stupid. No other word for it. :ohwell: And the debit card crap is so over the top. Lawd. . . Her rant is lost on me. Where was that attitude in the salon?

I also agree with whomever said natural hair is a hustle just like other salons. I wish I would pay $75 for some twists with my hair!! I tell everyone I know who is going natural hair to do your BC at home and get on YT and LHCF/np/curly nikki/motown girl/