Are double strand twist too much manipulation?

ecadnacmc

Ok, just washed my hair in DS twists using Chicoro method & DC with NTM. Hair feels great & looks Ok. Will try to keep hair twisted for another week. I have to take down to henna next week or else I might try to go longer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

CrownCola

@CrownCola, it depends on the low mani style. Cornrows/flat twists are definitely a protective style to an extent as are weaves than single braids with or without extension or hanging twists, but only because most of the hair's ends are buried away in cornrows, weaves and flat-twists.

Gotcha. Thanks. :grin:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Mdmommy99

IMO it depends on your hair. Mine is very fine and has never done well in double strands. I lose a lot of hair when taking them out no matter what I do unless my hair is blow dryed first in which case they don't stay in. I have found other low manipulation styles that my hair thrives much better with- but if you aren't experiencing breakage then it may not be too much for your hair.

CuteMeeka

It is too much manipulation for me. I like to keep my hair braided. In twists, I get massive shrinkage and a little breakage - I think because I take them down and redo them too much. Twists heavily contribute to my hand in hair syndrome.

With braids, as soon as I put my hand in my hair and think of how much un-braiding and re-braiding I have to do, I just take my hands out of my hair and keep it moving because undoing braids is not as easy or fun.

ecadnacmc

It is too much manipulation for me. I like to keep my hair braided. In twists, I get massive shrinkage and a little breakage - I think because I take them down and redo them too much. Twists heavily contribute to my hand in hair syndrome.

With braids, as soon as I put my hand in my hair and think of how much un-braiding and re-braiding I have to do, I just take my hands out of my hair and keep it moving because undoing braids is not as easy or fun.

Lol! I think I may give braids a try. I gave up twist for awhile because I can't make them last for more than a week without them looking ratty + I think it was getting to be too much manipulation for my hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

ecadnacmc

I do as well. I do twists n curl. I moisturize, seal, then retwist nightly. I haven't seen any negative effects of that.

Sent from my DROIDX

You must not have any children. I can barely find time to twist once/week. I can't even imagine trying to twist daily!

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Double strands twist is what I do often and I've had nothing but great results.

It appears as though the longer my hair gets, the shorter my twists appear :lol:

Shrinkage puts my right at shoulder length unless I do something to stretch my hair, and I am currently MBL.
~~HoneyComb~~ Your twist-out in your siggy is gorgeous! I agree, the longer my hair gets the more it shrinks too.:grin:

LaFaraona

I mean if you're natural I'm thinking most likely your hair shrinks. My hair is WL but when twist it's above my shoulders. I never realize how long it is till I flat iron, so you could have the length and not realize it.

Double strands twist is what I do often and I've had nothing but great results.

It appears as though the longer my hair gets, the shorter my twists appear :lol:

Shrinkage puts my right at shoulder length unless I do something to stretch my hair, and I am currently MBL.

@~~HoneyComb~~ Your twist-out in your siggy is gorgeous! I agree, the longer my hair gets the more it shrinks too.:grin:

Thank you for mentioning this.
I double strand twst my hair for 2 weeks at a time and sport a twist out for a day or 2 before washing and twisting again. I have been feeling quite dissapointed at my hair lenght lately becasue my twists look as long as they did last year.
I have been completely natural for 2 years and have never straightened my hair during the time.
you ladies make me feel encouraged...