Anyone heard of or used a natural relaxer?

justnotsure

A friend of mine is thinking about transitioning and has asked me if I ever heard of a product called natural-laxer plus. I hadn't but I told her that I would ask you guys about it. Here is the website:

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/chemical-free-natural-herbal-relaxer-texturizer.html

Idk, but it claims to be a non-harsh, all natural product that loosens the curl pattern:lick:. Tell me what you guys think!!

I'm perplexed!! :perplexed:perplexed

If you have used it, please direct me towards some reviews!

Americka

A friend of mine is thinking about transitioning and has asked me if I ever heard of a product called natural-laxer plus. I hadn't but I told her that I would ask you guys about it. Here is the website:

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/chemical-free-natural-herbal-relaxer-texturizer.html

Idk, but it claims to be a non-harsh, all natural product that loosens the curl pattern:lick:. Tell me what you guys think!!

I'm perplexed!! :perplexed:perplexed

If you have used it, please direct me towards some reviews!

I found a really old thread, but I hope it can help you.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=29156

ladykaya

I have used it. I think they should change its name to deep conditioner. Although the steps for it apply similar to a relaxer (except the 1st 3 consecutive weeks of use and you can apply it to all of the hair). It just makes your hair soft and more manageable. May slightly loosen the curl pattern but it def. will not make your hair bone straight. I found that my own mix of bentonite, coconut milk, and lime juice, has worked better and easier to apply. From other threads you can achieve the same softness with henna, but I haven't tried that.

Lady S

It would be nice if they provided a picture of the results. I'm skeptical, you maybe able to get the same results from the homemade yogurt curl loosener mix people have made.

ETA: Here's a YT review on it. The reviewer was not impressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouZDqXvgc

Last edited:

SweetSpirit86

I have used it. I think they should change its name to deep conditioner. Although the steps for it apply similar to a relaxer (except the 1st 3 consecutive weeks of use and you can apply it to all of the hair). It just makes your hair soft and more manageable. May slightly loosen the curl pattern but it def. will not make your hair bone straight. I found that my own mix of bentonite, coconut milk, and lime juice, has worked better and easier to apply. From other threads you can achieve the same softness with henna, but I haven't tried that.

May I ask what exactly that mixture is? I'm quite curious to try that out...got some of each ingredient lying around the house, may as well put it to good use.:lick:

Lovie

My mom is 100% natural 4B. I saw it, it looks like clay paste in a little white jar.
It didn't work on her. At all. Oh well, at least no damage. :)

LadyPBC

More details on your mixture please. I use yogurt and it loosens my coil but I have tons of bentonite clay that I need to use up somehow. Thanks

ladykaya

Wow you ladies made me blush, you actually want my recipe! Well I use a whole can of coconut milk, about 4 - 5 tbs of bentonite clay (use as much to thicken), 2 tsp of lime juice and a little bit of evoo just to help with consistency. I freeze the rest for future use. It makes about 5 - 6 applications depending on hair length. I use it before or after shampooing and it washes right out with either conditioner or shampoo. My hair feels amazing, soft, and easy to style.

Lady S

Can you give me more info on the yogurt curl loosener :yep: I love using yogurt on my 4a/3c coils!

I used to have a list of recipes of natural conditioners and looseners and of course I have no clue where it currently is. Off the top of my head. . . .

• Regular yogurt
  • Yogurt, coconut oil and coconut concentrate
  • yogurt & lime
  • coconut milk & lime
  • caramel treatment

There are so many recipes floating out there for the caramel treatment, it makes my head spin. The search engine on the site will show you to various threads. Neither the yogurt or the caramel treatment did anything for me (my hair seems to be more of a insane protein addict then the yogurt can provide). The coconut and lime is more popular, so you may want to try that. The other ladies are going to have to comment on that, though. I ended up succumbing to the creamy crack. Just went natural about a year ago and just waiting for it to grow.

justnotsure

Wow you ladies made me blush, you actually want my recipe! Well I use a whole can of coconut milk, about 4 - 5 tbs of bentonite clay (use as much to thicken), 2 tsp of lime juice and a little bit of evoo just to help with consistency. I freeze the rest for future use. It makes about 5 - 6 applications depending on hair length. I use it before or after shampooing and it washes right out with either conditioner or shampoo. My hair feels amazing, soft, and easy to style.

How long do you leave this mixture on your hair. Do you use plastic cap/heat with it?

MarieB

OP, there was a thread on this a few days ago, I think. I tried it a couple of years ago, and it was more of a DC than anything for me...except it took a really long time for me to rinse it out.