Anyone ever steam w/ Protein

Wanderland

So I searched this topic but didn't come up with much. I'm currently under my pibbs doing a home steam treatment along with my major protein treatment (Redken Deep Fuel, every 8-10 weeks). I don't find the protein drying at all but I've read that some ladies see that their hair soaks up the conditioner better during the steaming, so I wanted the max amount of protein absorbed along with some moisture from the steam.

Has anyone done this or anything similar? What was your verdict?

Update: just finished the washing ritual.
I had the protein Rx in for 30 minutes and rinsed out. My hair felt tougher/stiffer, but also thicker than it usually does after protein treatments but I think this was because of more getting in. I then dc'ed w/ humecto using the steam method again for about 40 minutes and my hair was like butter, but still stronger feeling, so if all continues to go well in the weeks ahead this will be added to my reggie (I plan to dc every week w/ steam alternating moisture and protein cond.)

Last edited:

adw425

I did a couple weeks ago and my hair did not get hard at all. It was strong and soft and detangled and you know how protein can sometimes tangle hair when it hardens...

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
So I searched this topic but didn't come up with much. I'm currently under my pibbs doing a home steam treatment along with my major protein treatment (Redken Deep Fuel, every 8-10 weeks). I don't find the protein drying at all but I've read that some ladies see that their hair soaks up the conditioner better during the steaming, so I wanted the max amount of protein absorbed along with some moisture from the steam.

Has anyone done this or anything similar? What was your verdict?

Update: just finished the washing ritual.
I had the protein Rx in for 30 minutes and rinsed out. My hair felt tougher/stiffer, but also thicker than it usually does after protein treatments but I think this was because of more getting in. I then dc'ed w/ humecto using the steam method again for about 40 minutes and my hair was like butter, but still stronger feeling, so if all continues to go well in the weeks ahead this will be added to my reggie (I plan to dc every week w/ steam alternating moisture and protein cond.)

I had this same experience, I find steaming intensifies the treatment whether protein or moisture.

nichelle02

I did this last night. I steamed with Nexxus kerapHix. The results were good. I like the strength my hair has today.

BTW, I know that I've read that there should be limits on steaming. For me, I have steamed once per week since I bought my steamer a few months ago. Now that the weather is warmer I'm going to do it less frequently. But my case was extreme. Every winter I have horrible breakage. It started again this winter so I bought the steamer. Weekly treatments made a world of difference. I'm going to play it by ear for now. But when winter hits, I'll be back to steaming every week.

Wanderland

I did this last night. I steamed with Nexxus kerapHix. The results were good. I like the strength my hair has today.

BTW, I know that I've read that there should be limits on steaming. For me, I have steamed once per week since I bought my steamer a few months ago. Now that the weather is warmer I'm going to do it less frequently. But my case was extreme. Every winter I have horrible breakage. It started again this winter so I bought the steamer. Weekly treatments made a world of difference. I'm going to play it by ear for now. But when winter hits, I'll be back to steaming every week.

I've heard of limits, I haven't found mine yet, but like you I'll just play it by ear:perplexed

LushLox

I always steam with protein, it helps the product to absorb the strands even better. Of course I always follow up with a moisturising condish.

sunbubbles

oooooo! I had been thinkin about that idea for a while! Glad to see it works for somebody! Now I just need a steamer................. LMBO!

locabouthair

So steaming is pretty intense huh?

exoticmommie

I did by accident with aphogee. I didn't realize I had left some in the front of my hair before I did my moisturizing treatment. My hair was tough and tangled in that one spot. So never use aphogee 2 min or any a strong protein in the steamer, it really intensifies it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I steamed last week with Lamur Bone Marrow Deep Penetrating Treatment (Protein). It is an extremely rich, luxurious, creamy treatment and I love it :blush3:.

A little pricey tho' however, I plan to keep this one as a Staple.

aymone

I steam with everything! I think buying a steamer is a must and a worthy investment especially if one plans to stretch.

Moodyma'am

I steamed with Roux Moisture REcovery (which despite the name is actually a protein treatment). Hair feels amazing.

lushlady

I've steamed with my homemade protein mixes, but never with my aphogee. I'm afraid my aphogee 2 min. might work too well if I use it with the steamer.

JJamiah

I did by accident with aphogee. I didn't realize I had left some in the front of my hair before I did my moisturizing treatment. My hair was tough and tangled in that one spot. So never use aphogee 2 min or any a strong protein in the steamer, it really intensifies it.

I've steamed with my homemade protein mixes, but never with my aphogee. I'm afraid my aphogee 2 min. might work too well if I use it with the steamer.

I have steamed often with APhogee 2 Minute and My hair loves it, it gives me the protein I need. Matter Fact I also have steamed with Motions CPR both work wonderfully !