Any ladies here take their own products to the salon w/them?

morehairplease

If so, are you charged extra for bringing in your own products? How should one go about asking their stylist to use products from home instead of the salon's products? Did you have to negotiate prices for say a relaxer(if you wanted an affirm relaxer but she only applies mizani,deep conditioner, etc....).

thanks in advance ladies

I took my own products once to get a relaxer... I didn't feel like doing it myself.... the chick still charged me the full price and did a bad job to boot:lol: :lol: ...
I never went back!!!!

I have been doing this since, I was pregnant with my daughter. Mmmmm let's see 6 years now.... I was in Hawaii, then Louisiana, and now Missouri and I will not change. My husband is in the military, I need to make sure...

No Ii don't get charged less.

Actually, I don't expect less. Their products costs don't make up the bulk of their overhead because they usually buy professional sizes.

One salon I went to did not charge the stylists to use products that they bought for them to use, but made them pay rent for a chair. Giving me a discoutn would mean giving me the benefit the salon gave them.

Another salon I went to was owned by the stylist and she had more freedom in that area.

MissVee said:
I bring everything down to my relaxer and she charges me less.

thanks MissVee! May I ask if you go to a dominican salon or a regular salon? The lady that did my hair when I was relaxed used Affrim and my hair didn't take to it well. I would like to use another brand of relaxer that she doesn't carry and just wondered if it would be strange to ask her about brining in my own products. May I ask how you went about asking your stylist?
tia

neonbright said:
I have been doing this since, I was pregnant with my daughter. Mmmmm let's see 6 years now.... I was in Hawaii, then Louisiana, and now Missouri and I will not change. My husband is in the military, I need to make sure...

thanks neonbright! Do you mind telling me how you went about asking your stylist to do this? tia

joyous said:
I bring my own products and my hairdresser charges me less.

thanks joyous! Hopefully, the lady that I am going to will charge me less. I plan on calling her within a couple of days.****crosses fingers****

HoneyDew said:
No Ii don't get charged less.

Actually, I don't expect less. Their products costs don't make up the bulk of their overhead because they usually buy professional sizes.

One salon I went to did not charge the stylists to use products that they bought for them to use, but made them pay rent for a chair. Giving me a discoutn would mean giving me the benefit the salon gave them.

Another salon I went to was owned by the stylist and she had more freedom in that area.

Hi HoneyDew,

The stylist that I plan on going to owns the salon.....hopefully, she will give me a discount for bringing in my own products....we'll see

I always bring my own stuff.
I usually bring my own poo, conditioner and leave in. I always bring my own relaxer also :) .
I notice that some hairdressers will have lots of salon type products but will charge you much extra to use them, so why not bring your own ;) .

Britt said:
I always bring my own stuff.
I usually bring my own poo, conditioner and leave in. I always bring my own relaxer also :) .
I notice that some hairdressers will have lots of salon type products but will charge you much extra to use them, so why not bring your own ;) .

thanks Britt!

tishee said:
thanks MissVee! May I ask if you go to a dominican salon or a regular salon? The lady that did my hair when I was relaxed used Affrim and my hair didn't take to it well. I would like to use another brand of relaxer that she doesn't carry and just wondered if it would be strange to ask her about brining in my own products. May I ask how you went about asking your stylist?
tia

I go to a dominican salon and I loooove it. I just brought my relaxer she never had a problem with me bringing in products. The relaxers that they had were all SUPER and my hair is stringy and nasty from them, so I brough my own.

Now the AA stylist I used to go to was expensive ($92 for touchup and rinse that I brought with me because she only had jazzin and was charging $$$ for it), and when I brought my own color still charged me $20 extra. She didn't work sat. and had an attitude.

Any whooo, I say just ask the person and tell them why you are bringing your own, maybe she/he will get buy it for the salon.

HTH

Back