Ancient Chinese Secret.......Chlorella?

naturalmanenyc

So, I finally gave in and decided to start taking Chlorella. I cannot swallow pills (only use chewables) and I don't do shakes. I decided to try the Chlorella Growth Factor extract (fluid) and went to search it out today in Chinatown.

I found a chlorella cake in Koreantown. It's a green tea sweet bread with cranberries, walnuts, and streusel topping at Koryodang, a bakery-café right in the heart of Koreatown’s busiest block on 32nd Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. http://koryodang.com/

But I had no luck with liquid Chlorella CGF.

Well, it seems that Chlorella is some huge secret that we are not to be told about. DH and I checked a few spots on Mulberry St. in Chinatown. DH tried first with a local clerk at a store he frequents and he was told to check a place on Lafayette by the Hilton hotel. Once inside the second store, DH asked about the Green Gem liquid Chlorella and the young woman had no idea what he was talking about. She got the older store clerk who asked DH "How did you find out about this?" He told her the internet and she proceeded to say that Chlorella is very rare and was not available anywhere in Chinatown, where she has lived for most of her life.

Hmmmm? I was suspicious given that even Vitamin Shoppe carries a Chlorella tablet.

At the next place I asked about Chlorella and the young woman did not have the brand I wanted but she did reach under the counter, under the register & hidden from public view, and pulled out a powder form of Chlorella. I was looking for liquid so I did not purchase it.

I went to at least 10 others stores in the area, natural food stores and herbal stores, and I was asked "How did I find out about this?" by another clerk as well as told by several others that they had no idea what it was or where I could find it in the city.

Could it be that Chlorella is some huge secret that is not to be shared with Americans?

Chlorella is not as popular as ginseng & other herbs/supplements but it's also the oldest known food & grown mostly in Taiwan. I find it hard to believe that so many shop keepers, except the one who had it hidden, did not know about chlorella.:perplexed

jamaraa

LOL...chlorella isn't a secret. "Green foods" in general are good for hair growth and good health. Spirulina, Alfalfa, kelp, etc....are great in essential vitamins, minerals, and in spirulina's case, protein.

I think it's just that spirulina is more popular w/ Americans, but those into this sort of thing know all about chlorella. (It's also good for bad breath ;) )

naturalmanenyc

I had not read that....but there are so many things that can cause bad breath (tooth decay) that I hope anyone using Chlorella to combat bad breath also visits a dentist.

LOL...chlorella isn't a secret. "Green foods" in general are good for hair growth and good health. Spirulina, Alfalfa, kelp, etc....are great in essential vitamins, minerals, and in spirulina's case, protein.

I think it's just that spirulina is more popular w/ Americans, but those into this sort of thing know all about chlorella. (It's also good for bad breath ;) )

jamaraa

Oh yeah...I just meant like after eating garlic. Chewing parsely and mint have the same effect.

LaidBak

You can get the liquid online. I've seen about 4 different sources. It will run you about $110 a liter. If you find it cheaper than that let a sista know. :)

jamaraa

If you guys are spending that much (OUCH) why not invest in a capscule machine like a Cap-M-Quick and buy your poweder by bulk? That way you don't have to taste it (YUCK) and you are sure of what you're getting? It takes a little work to cap your herbs, but I find it worth it can far cheaper than buying smaller quanitites pre packaged.

naturalmanenyc

I found it for $52 per liter.
http://www.watershed.net/category/CGF

It comes in 1/2 liter cans like this:

Watershed is the US Distributor for Taiwman Chlorella (Chinese Chlorella)

http://www.taiwanchlorella.com/styl...=color_1&lang=2&customer_id=560&name_id=13879

Taiwan Chlorella Manufacturing Company (TCMC) was established in 1964 and was the first company to start to grow Chlorella in Taiwan. TCMC is the world’s oldest and largest Chlorella producer.

In 1964, Huang Chi-Jui, the former Taipei City mayor invited a group of famous doctors and entrepreneurs to join him in establishing the first Chlorella company in the world.

In 1964, our first factory was established in Chung Li, in the Tao Yuan County. The total area is 25,000 square meters with an annual output capacity of 150 metric tons.

In 1982, we established our second factory in Lung Chun, located in the southern part of Taiwan. The total area is 26,000 square meters and achieves an annual output capacity of 180 metric tons.

In 1993, our company extended it’s factory activities to Mainland China. This factory is located on the western coast of Hai-Nan Island, China’s southernmost island. Hai-Nan Island is a tropical island with an excellent climate and lies on the same latitude as Hawaii. It is where we believe to find the most favorable growth condition zone for Chlorella. The non-industrialized, pollution-free, tropical island offers favorable growth conditions for chlorella, including intense sunlight, pure water, and clean air.

In fact, all the elements essential for chlorella cultivation are found on Hai-Nan Island. The total area of our Hai-Nan factory comprises 540 thousand square meters and achieves an annual output of 300 metric tons.

Today, TCMC is the largest and most technically advanced chlorella producer in the world. Since 1964, our production techniques have been continually refined and updated to maintain our reputation as producer of the world’s finest, purest, premium grade chlorella.

http://www.taiwanchlorella.com/styl...60&name_id=13877&content_set=color_1&fid=1776

You can get the liquid online. I've seen about 4 different sources. It will run you about $110 a liter. If you find it cheaper than that let a sista know. :)

naturalmanenyc

I cannot swallow pills and only use chewables or liquid supplements.

If you guys are spending that much (OUCH) why not invest in a capscule machine like a Cap-M-Quick and buy your poweder by bulk? That way you don't have to taste it (YUCK) and you are sure of what you're getting? It takes a little work to cap your herbs, but I find it worth it can far cheaper than buying smaller quanitites pre packaged.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I thought the Japanese Chlorella was the best? I just started taking the pills.

Last edited:

LaidBak

Oh no...Chinese chlorella is suspect. Over in that MASSIVE chlorella thread that luckiestdestiny started we were warned against it because it was shown to be tainted or something. I can't remember the exact reason. I'm sure she could tell you though. Check it out before you order.

naturalmanenyc

I did see that Japanese was better than Chinese due to government standards; however, this brand has a Japanese government inspection requirement......or so it says on the website.

Oh no...Chinese chlorella is suspect. Over in that MASSIVE chlorella thread that luckiestdestiny started we were warned against it because it was shown to be tainted or something. I can't remember the exact reason. I'm sure she could tell you though. Check it out before you order.

bablou00

Question, does anyone juice instead of investing in capsules and liquid chlorella?

I juice and Ive used spirulina in my juices but cut back when I saw how much vitamin A was in it. I would like to use some chlorella powder in my juices but always forget to pick it up when I go to whole foods.

Rei

I did see that Japanese was better than Chinese due to government standards; however, this brand has a Japanese government inspection requirement......or so it says on the website.

I wouldn't do it, :look: Just go for the yaeyama...