Amel Larrieux's HAIR!!!!!

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
Amel Larrieux\'s HAIR!!!!!

I thought I was looking at my twin when I saw this picture of her (Amel Larrieux - formerly of Groove Theory). Let me see if I can post the actual picture here

alliyah4eva203

Re: Amel Larrieux\'s HAIR!!!!!

oohh! i saw her in one of my magazines. her hair is beautiful. theres another pic of it in pigtails. it looks gorgeous.

webby

Think Slim

She not only has beautiful hair, but she's a beautiful woman too.

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American

Wow! I have to say (vicariously, of course) THANKS! She is beautiful. I've seen other pictures of her and she normally looks lighter, and in many ways different from me, but still VERY beautiful. I was surprised when I found the picture above.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

i12sitonmyhair, do u look like her? is that y u said u thought u were looking at your twin?

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American

I do look like her in the above picture, not in her other pictures. My hair is natural and bra-strap length (when pressed), but i wear it up a lot. My skin-tone is red-brown just like the picture, but I have acne marks. When I let my hair down, it looks like hers in the above picture.

aqualung

Here's a link and excerpt from an article describing her beauty routine. Amel uses coconut oil and braidouts.

http://www.alluringlooks.com/celeballuremj.html

Hair
I wear my hair natural and I have to stay on top of it. I am very much into lubricating my hair. I use different hair oils and pomades and I only wash my hair every two to three weeks," Larriex says.

One of her favorite hair products is Monoi de Tahiti, a coconut oil with coconut extract directly from Tahiti, which she uses to oil her hair and scalp. She also uses Indian hemp as a pomade.

Larrieux has a hair care routine that she recommends for women with natural curly, wavy, and/or frizzy hair. She encourages them not to wash their hair too much. When you do wash, use a hot oil treatment once a month. She also swears by using a leave-in conditioner like Nexxus Humectress, her favorite. She says it's great for the thickest of thick hair.

"I try not to use the word nappy because I don't like the word nappy," she says. "I think we can look for ways to redefine our hair."

Larrieux also likes to use Pro-Line's coconut oil, which she finds light enough to use in her hair of several different grades. She also uses a pomade that her grandmother used, Clairol's Vitapointe Creme Hairdress and Conditioner.

After washing her hair at night, she oils her scalp, puts a bit of oil on her hair, then sections and braids her hair in two, four, sometimes six braids. She says the process protects and sets the hair. In the morning she takes out the braids and runs her fingers though her hair to create a wavy effect.

"It's as simple as that," she says. "When I go to shoots I tell the stylists not to touch my hair because it is the way I like it."

musiclova

She has always been one of my inspirations vocally and beauty wise because she uses basic regimens and keeps everything natural. It's interesting to me that she does not wash her hair but every 2 or 3 weeks. I assume she rinses it or does conditioner washes. I commend her on telling stylists not to touch her hair because all they end up doing is messing it up. No wonder her hair is all natural and always looks thick and healthy!

Last edited:

pookeylou

Loving all things Amel...I wish I could do her routine. I heard good things about Monoi de Tahiti, but coconut oil makes my hair crunchy. I disagree with her feelings of the word nappy too. I embrace it. I think she has some GORGEOUS nappy hair. I have loved it from the beginning. I remember her long bushy pony tail, parted to the side in her video. You know the one where she wore the white suit with the pea coat. Those smoothed down waves...dang she looked tough!

I got an autographed copy of her Bravebrid CD...wore the thang OUT! Dont sleep on this if you aint got it already!

Lindy

Wow, she washes her hair only every 2 to three weeks??!! I don't know how that works for her, especially when using all those oils and grease (Vitapointe)... whenever I use that stuff it makes my scalp so itchy it practically begs to be washed after just a few days!! :look:

webby

Think Slim
She and her hair are incredibly gorgeous.

It's great to see her hair regimine. People used to think that I was :nuts: when I said that I only washed my hair every other week, but it was the best thing that I could do. I stopped washing my hair so often and it seems that I not only retained length, but moisture as well.

blue_flower

The article says:

"After washing her hair at night, she oils her scalp, puts a bit of oil on her hair, then sections and braids her hair in two, four, sometimes six braids. She says the process protects and sets the hair. In the morning she takes out the braids and runs her fingers though her hair to create a wavy effect."

and then she says
"I don't go anywhere without my Evian mister. I spray it over my face five to six times a day. I spray it in my hair to get tangles out of my hair. It's much gentler than tap water."

I'm starting to get confused about the word 'washed' (shampoo or conditioner washed). Does she wash her hair with shampoo every 2-3 weeks? Does she do conditioner washes in between? Or does she just spray her hair and scalp with water and rebraid? I'm like Lindy: my scalp starts to itch and feel grimy if I use so many oils without washing my hair for a long period of time.

Then she runs 2 miles a day and she has to get sweaty doing that. I always heard that you have to rinse your hair completely with water to get the salty sweat from your hair. I never thought of just misting my hair and scalp with water before. I should try that. I wonder if there will be a difference.

Country gal

Pookey- I have that album and only like one song from it. The first single. I think she is so very cool. When she came out she didn't allow the record company to re package her.

On a side note I think Nay007 kinda favors her.

Divastate

blue_flower said:
The article says:

I'm starting to get confused about the word 'washed' (shampoo or conditioner washed). Does she wash her hair with shampoo every 2-3 weeks? Does she do conditioner washes in between? Or does she just spray her hair and scalp with water and rebraid? I'm like Lindy: my scalp starts to itch and feel grimy if I use so many oils without washing my hair for a long period of time.

Then she runs 2 miles a day and she has to get sweaty doing that. I always heard that you have to rinse your hair completely with water to get the salty sweat from your hair. I never thought of just misting my hair and scalp with water before. I should try that. I wonder if there will be a difference.
I'm assuming that Amel probrably doesn't quite know about conditioner washes and her "washing" includes shampoo and conditioner every 2-3 weeks. My MIL has waistlength natural hair similar to Amel's and she washes her hair in the same timeframe- she also oils her hair but it takes very very little oil for her hair or scalp which would be my guess about Amel also.

Amel does have beautiful hair- she's been one of my favorite artists for years.

atlantatiffany

i agree with amel because even though i am relaxed my hair is extremely thick and my hair does better when i was it every week and a half or two weeks. i can't stand that vitapointe creme. it is so freaking greasey.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

It says she oils her hair after washing it, maybe she doesn't oil every day? My hair definitely looks better after 7-10 days too. I'm excited about that simple regimen she has! How long is her hair? Waist or Bsl?

Paris Belle

She does have beautiful hair. Always did. I totally agree with you Pookeylou...

As far as her regime, she may be doing COs but may not know the term for it. A classmate of mine with beautiful 2c/3a hair said that she rinses out her hair daily or whenever she uses gel. Her hair at its longest was midback. When pressed further, she said that she just thought that most people did this and it wasn't a big deal. What we all know on LHCF that moisture is key and we've all discussed the various ways of attaining that.

My point is, that so many people with very long hair do the simplest things without really thinking that it helps them attain their length. And I notice this in particular with naturals.

pookeylou

FlowerHair said:
It says she oils her hair after washing it, maybe she doesn't oil every day? My hair definitely looks better after 7-10 days too. I'm excited about that simple regimen she has! How long is her hair? Waist or Bsl?

I saw her recent "For Real" video and her hair was bra strap length curly. So probably waist length pressed. It is not all one length either. Some of the layers towards the front come past her shoulders.

pookeylou

LadyJoli said:
She does have beautiful hair. Always did. I totally agree with you Pookeylou...

As far as her regime, she may be doing COs but may not know the term for it. A classmate of mine with beautiful 2c/3a hair said that she rinses out her hair daily or whenever she uses gel. Her hair at its longest was midback. When pressed further, she said that she just thought that most people did this and it wasn't a big deal. What we all know on LHCF that moisture is key and we've all discussed the various ways of attaining that.

My point is, that so many people with very long hair do the simplest things without really thinking that it helps them attain their length. And I notice this in particular with naturals.

I am going to have to agree on the "simpler the better the routine" theory as well. I have seen it work more in my case especially since my brain surgery. I was afraid really, to use commercial products so I started using natural stuff. I started out using really only one or two ingredients and I am so glad I did. My regimine is so basid...and coming from a product junky...its really scary. I will post a pic of my bathroom of just LEFT OVER stuff...not stuff I am using now!

Right now I use a shampoo bar and then twist with shealoe butter. That is it. My hair is thriving better than ever. Better than with Surge...definitely better than when I permed.

I look back at my pics of when I was a kid and see how long my hair was. Even though my mom was pressing the HECK out of my hair...it was long as can be. And all she was doing was washing it and plaiting it up each week.

Why oh why did I ever change that routine?

mkstar826

supersonic

pookeylou said:
I saw her recent "For Real" video and her hair was bra strap length curly. So probably waist length pressed. It is not all one length either. Some of the layers towards the front come past her shoulders.

It looks a bit stretched out in that video even though it's still curly. Looks like a worn braid-out to me. I'd like to see her hair air-dried w/ no stretchage (lol) to really see the difference. Her hair is beautiful no matter what though.

happylocks

I would have liked more details, but that just maybe all that she does. I love the lenght and her hair, she has beautiful music also