Allow Me to Introduce Myself

21Trixie

Hello Ladies,

First and foremost I would like to say thanks to all of you. The advice, hair care tips, and product reviews I really do appreciate. I am currently in Iraq. I should be home sometime this month. What brought me here to this board is that I have been experiencing a lot of breakage. I believe the reason for that is doing self relaxers every six weeks, heat, and just plain ole lack of knowledge on how to properly care for my hair. Not to mention, being deployed makes caring for your hair somewhat challenging. The water is extremely hard here. I have decided to stop relaxing my own hair. It takes me way too long to do it myself. I’ve experienced a lot of breakage in the front and the back and I know it is b/c of the relaxer. I also decided to get my hair cut maybe shoulder length or in a short bob. I just prefer to begin with a fresh start. I am currently a couple inches from BSL. I am sure with all the things I have learned from this board, I will be back there in about a year depending on how short I go. I don’t know what took me so long to seek out info on hair care. I am always on the internet surfing and never ever thought about searching for info on hair care. If I had, I probably wouldn’t be in this condition. Nonetheless, I am happy I found this LHCF and be apart of it.
Better Late Than Never

:wave: Welcome 21Trixie, I'm MzTami. I'm glad you've joined.

May God keep you safe, especially while in Iraq..

Hi Trixie, I would first like to say thank you for serving our country.:D Ill bet those extreme temps in Iraq play a major role in your hair being damaged. And of course being deployed, it makes it somewhat more complicated to take care of your hair. All I can say for now is to keep it moisturized. When you do come home, maybe you should get it trimmed a little and start fresh. Good luck!!!:)

Welcome, 21Trixie! Wow, most of us do a lot of complaining about our hair but imagine trying to manage it while serving in Iraq! Sure puts things in perspective for me.

Have a safe trip home. In the meantime, please keep us updated on how you're doing out there.

Hi Trixie. Thanks for protecting us here in the US. When you come home, perhaps you should get a trim, and do some deep conditioning. In the meantime, if you can get your hands on a plastic cap or plastic bag, after putting some type of moisturizer in your hair, place the plastic on your hair at night. It really makes a difference.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to maintain your hair over there. Perhaps after taking the baggie off, just put your hair in a ponytail everyday.

Good luck. Be sure to holler at us when you get home.

Welcome Trixie! It's interesting that you posted, because I was just telling my friends how I wondered how sistas were taking care of their hair in Iraq. Of course, there are many other things that you have to worry about over ther e:ohwell:. Still I wondered. But to try and help you out, I would say that you should focus on keeping your hair moisturized as was already mentioned. There are plenty of ladies here who have been able to really stretch relaxers by doing co-washes, deep conditioning, etc. The point is to keep the hair as moisturized as possible. You may also try less manipulation to your ends. Try easy hairstyles like ponytails (using safe elastic, tucked under to preserve ends), buns, cornrows, braids, etc. until you can get home and have your hair revived. As I know nothing about the lives of military women, I don't know if what I have suggested is even feasible there. HTH

Be safe, take care, and have a good trip back :)!

21Trixie said:
Hello Ladies,

First and foremost I would like to say thanks to all of you. The advice, hair care tips, and product reviews I really do appreciate. I am currently in Iraq. I should be home sometime this month. What brought me here to this board is that I have been experiencing a lot of breakage. I believe the reason for that is doing self relaxers every six weeks, heat, and just plain ole lack of knowledge on how to properly care for my hair. Not to mention, being deployed makes caring for your hair somewhat challenging. The water is extremely hard here. I have decided to stop relaxing my own hair. It takes me way too long to do it myself. I’ve experienced a lot of breakage in the front and the back and I know it is b/c of the relaxer. I also decided to get my hair cut maybe shoulder length or in a short bob. I just prefer to begin with a fresh start. I am currently a couple inches from BSL. I am sure with all the things I have learned from this board, I will be back there in about a year depending on how short I go. I don’t know what took me so long to seek out info on hair care. I am always on the internet surfing and never ever thought about searching for info on hair care. If I had, I probably wouldn’t be in this condition. Nonetheless, I am happy I found this LHCF and be apart of it.
Better Late Than Never

Welcome21Trixie and I wish you a safe return from Iraq.

Back