All i want is growth

BeautifulNameX

please excuse me im writhing from a phone. . i been lurking since twothousandfour became a member in 06 i had relaxed hair and grew it to a length i liked shoulder length. i would have my deep co wash and no heat periods (a week or two daily) and my deep condition blow dry flat iron for periods (maybe a month) and my micro kinky twist periods for like two months. i got greedy with my shoulder length hair and wanted more growth faster so igot milder perms and i was gettin mad like man whats the point of relaxing if i have to use heat anyway so thats part of the reason i bc i was thinking heat or chemicials i have to give one up (is that tru?) so i bc and wore wigs for two years to grow it to the length its at now, and i cant keep doing this because its about to start breaking off.

i want to start doing what i was doing when i first grew my out but periods of co wash and puffs and wng's then periods of wigs and cornrows and periods of flat ironed natural hair. but my problem and confusion is the heat training thing because i made a post on here a year ago and i was lead to believe that heat training equals damaged natural hair. but when i was relaxed i used heat for periods and it grew out the way i like it. im confused because i would think that heat is more damaging on relaxed hair since its been broken down with chemicals. im just confused someone clear this up for me.

eta maybe in my post a year ago they thought i ment heat training to the point where i get bone straight pressed results. i just ment blow dry flat iron and wat ever results i get i work with, u know not over doing the heat with ovens and stuff

Last edited:

NaturalPath

I am going to try to answer your questions the best way I know how.

You do not have to give up chemicals and heat. You just need to know how to properly use them in a sense to maintain healthy hair. Meaning do not use excessive heat when there are other healthier options; do not over process your hair with chemicals. There are many relaxed ladies on the board who do use both and still have long healthy hair.
I would say just do what ever you feel is right for your hair. If you felt like you were able to retain more length while relaxed, then I would say go ahead and relax your hair.

The reason why people say that heat trained natural hair is damaged is because technically damaged means to permanently alter ones texture, the same as a chemical. There are naturals who straighten most of the time and while their hair is majority permanently altered their hair still looks healthy and is able to retain a lot of length.

Heat can be more damaging to relaxed hair...however if you maintain your protein treatments to rebuild the hairs protein then you should not have anything to worry about.

-Happy to help :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
IA w/Maine Attraxion.:grin: You don't have to give up chemicals/heat. You just have to use both in moderation.

You have to keep your hair with a proper balance of protein/moisture and you should use a heat protectant when you 'choose' to use heat appliances.:yep:

You can gain alot of knowledge here to properly take care of any hair 'preferences' you choose. But you don't have to compromise the Health of Your Hair to get the look that you want to achieve.

There is too much information/knowledge here. Regarding Products, Techniques and anything else you need to know.

Return back to what you know worked for you before and work your Regimen.:yep:

BeautifulNameX

thanks ladies im rockin puffs and wash n goes now. its not that bad. and seeing the natural ladies at my meet up really inspired me too.