Air Drying= No Dry Scalp?

lonei

Hi ladies, I have airdryed my hair twice in braids with kemi oil and shea butter on my ends. I have found that I dont have the frosted flakes that I used to have when I would roller set and grease my scalp with ORS Olive Oil. I dont even grease my scalp when I braid it wet and dont have any dry scalp at all. Could it be the ORS giving me the flakes or is it the heat on my scalp?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think it could have been the ORS Olive Oil. Did u use to grease your scalp and then have heat on your scalp?

UmSumayyah

at "frosted flakes"....

sweetcocoa

I found out for me about 6 months ago that it's the 'direct' heat. I haven't oiled my scalp in over 3 years...when I air dry(or sit under a warm dryer)...no flakes...when I blow dry...about once every 4 months or so I notice a few flakes. I also agree with it being the grease...because either way, I had more flakes when I oiled my scalp.

dcprdiva

i agree. i haven't used direct heat to blow dry since December 2003 and haven't greased my scalp since then either. i have no flakes or anything.

Ayeshia

No flakes here
Since I have stopped using grease on my scalp in 2002 I have had no problems with flake buildup

lonei

Thanks ladies, Poohbear, I grease the scalp after the roller set. So then ladies, I am due to relax my hair and roller set and doobie it. I usually roller set with motions leave in and IC Polisher, I then spray ORS Oil Sheen. I hate that I have to use any grease on my scalp, especially after a set because it weighs it down.

1. My main problem is that my scalp used to feel so funny if I didnt grease it but that was with direct heat, should it be different with the set?

2.Also, those of you that do not use grease anymore, why did you stop and how have you benefitted?

3.Lastly, has anyone done a doobie with a leave in and a serum but without oil sheen, how does it turn out?

shoelover1972

Hi Lonei

I have never believed in greasing my scalp and my hairdresser does not like to do this with his other clients.

1 - When my hairdresser sets my hair he NEVER uses oil / grease on my scalp

2 - The last time my scalp was greased on a regular basis was as a child. I do not experience any 'flakies'. To me it weighs down the hair and can make it look thin & 'lanky'

3 - When I used to wrap my hair at night I used Keracare Silk n Seal only. My hair came out fine but I had to stop wrapping my hair as it was starting to break at the back.

Off topic - Lonei your hair is lovely

lonei

Thanks pradalover, I have never used silken seal or a similar product on dry hair, does it weigh it down or does the hair remain quite light?