Ahh, hair is shedding from post pregnancy!!

jewel

I am so upset right now. My hair is shedding really bad it seems like every time i touch my hair there is some coming out. I have healthy hair, but i just had a baby three months ago and now my hormones are acting a fool and making my hair shedd drastically. I have been wrapping my ends at night with a baggie and using Miss keys conditioner. Today i bought Aveda Volumnizing tonic hoping that it will help thicken my hair. I am told that my hair probably won't bounce back for another six months or so. Has anyone else experience this and what did you do to keep your hair in good shape.

I hear that some people have luck with Garlic Shampoo or maybe you could try Aphogee treatment for Damaged hair. I dont use either but maybe some of the other ladies could give you advice on how to use it! It seems to have helped a bunch of people.

lyphe said:
i just had a baby three months ago and now my hormones are acting a fool and making my hair shedd drasticallyI am told that my hair probably won't bounce back for another six months or so. Has anyone else experience this and what did you do to keep your hair in good shape.

I feel your pain. I had the post pregnancy shedding also, about 3 mos after birth. It was before LHCF so I just combed & cried. You can try Aphogee protein treatment and keep it moisturized. Maybe braiding your hair will help with the daily manipulation.

My hair took a few months to bounce back, but I also got it all cut off. I wish I would have know about this forum during the crisis.

Good luck, and I do hope it stops shedding soon.

I lost so much hair about 3 months after I had my baby. It thinned my hair out really bad, my baby is about to be 1 and my hair is still bouncing back. It stills needs to thicken up. It is nerve racking and there is nothing you can do to stop the shedding until the phase is over. Sorry u have to deal with this, I know how bonkers it made me!

I went to the same thing. 2-3 months after my baby was born my hair started falling out like crazy. It stopped after about 4 months (my hair line took a beating). Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can do to stop it but I alternated between Keraphix and Emergencee weekly and I think this helped strengthen it.
One thing I suggest is try not to comb your hair to much. I lost so much hair trying to detangle it. Try not to minipulate it too much. And make sure to take a multi-vitamin.

Here is some helpful info about post pardum shedding:
Approximately 90% of your hair is growing at any one time with the other 10% entering into a resting phase. Every two to three months, the resting hair falls out and allows new hair to grow in its place. Telogen effluvium is the excessive shedding of hair that occurs one to five months following pregnancy. This is not uncommon, affecting somewhere between 40 to 50% of women; but like most changes that happen during pregnancy, it is temporary.

Is there abnormal hair loss during pregnancy?
Hair loss that is connected to pregnancy usually occurs after delivery. During pregnancy, an increased number of hairs go into the resting phase, which is part of the normal hair loss cycle. This condition is not serious enough to cause bald spots or permanent hair loss, and should begin to diminish within 3-5 months after delivery. If you feel that you are experiencing unusual hair loss while you are pregnant, this may be due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Why do people talk about hair loss and pregnancy?
The most common period of hair loss related to pregnancy occurs approximately three months after delivery. The rise in hormones during pregnancy, keeps hair that would have normally fallen out. After delivery, the hormones return to normal levels, which allows the hair to fall out and return to the normal cycle. Unfortunately, the normal hair loss that had been delayed because of pregnancy tends to all fall out at the same time.

Recommendations for Your Hair During Pregnancy and After Delivery:
There are a number of things that you can do to have a healthier head of hair and/or reduce the extent of some of the hair loss during pregnancy or after delivery:

*Consult with your physician to ensure a proper balance of hormones.
*Avoid pigtails, cornrows, hair weaves, braids and tight hair rollers which can pull and stress your hair.
*Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables, which contain flavonoids, many of which are antioxidants that may provide protection for the hair follicles and encourage hair growth.
*Use shampoos and conditioners that contain biotin and silica.
*Hair is fragile when it is wet, so be gentle; avoid fine tooth combs
*If you need to use blow dryers and other heated hair instruments, try to use the cooler, lower settings.
*Supplement your diet with the following nutrients:
Vitamin B complex
Biotin
Inositol
Vitamin C with bioflavonoids
Coenzyme Q10
Vitamin E
Zinc
Horsetail
Pygeum and Saw Palmetto

I went thru this 3 times!!!! So I feel your pain. I tried all the stuff everyone recommended to not avail. I just had to wait it out. Mine would fall out at the temples and hairline the most. But I just did the best I could to be gentle with this delicate area. I wish you luck with whatever you try and just remember that it doesn't last forever! HTH

Last edited:
Back