Africa's Best Hair Mayo (Jar)...any reviews please?

simplyhair

Ok, I have searched and found a few old threads on this product. The reviews were good but it was from 2003 or 2007. But it looks like the ingredients may have changed from what I see on walgreens.com. My jar has different ingredients.

I picked it up on sale today at Walgreens for $2.99. I couldn't help it. I bought 3 jars. I feel duped by my PJism.

I feel like I am on the hustle to find a replacement or backup for my ORS Replenishing Conditioner (bottle).

Can anyone tell me how you like it? I am hoping it has the same moisturizing, slip and mild protein like ORS. I can't compare this to ORS Hair Mayo since it's been 10 years since I used that product.

BTW, I plan on using it on wet hair under the dryer not as a pre-poo. But I guess, I could try it as a prepoo though.

Last edited:
I don't really care much for the Africa's best mayo, it was alright, light protein, did not give a lot of slip and was not very moisturizing. It was okay for the price i paid, I like ORS mayo much more

I know you said you would be using this as a conditioner, but I wanted to mention that I use this as a pre-poo on dry hair under my hooded dryer. I love it as a pre-poo. :grin:

I love the price and I think it works great for me as a pre-poo. It leaves my hair soft and stronger. I have never tried it as a conditioner, so I can't comment on it for that use.

I prefer this mayo over ORS anyday (ors left a residue on my hair). I sometimes like to use for a leave-in prior to rollersetting, just a small dab. It's good stuff IMO :)

Now looking at the ingredients again, I may have to take this back. It looks like they (the company) have switched the ingredients around. Just like ORS Replenishing Conditioenr.

All of the good stuff is towards the middle and bottom like the egg powder, panthenol, soluable collagen, carrot seet oil, etc on this jar I bought from Walgreens.

I think these are the old ingredients:

INGREDIENTS WATER, GLYCERIN, POLYQUATERNIUM 32, MINERAL OIL, DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, PANTHENOL, CHOLESTEROL, EGG POWDER, DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL LAURATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, CETYL ALCOHOL, OLIVE OIL, LANOLIN OIL, TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, CARROT OIL, CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS SEED OIL SAFFLOWER, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS LEAF EXTRACT ROSEMARY, URTICA DIOICA EXTRACT NETTLE, EQUISETUM HYEMALE EXTRACT, SOLUBLE COLLAGEN, OREGANO, DMDM HYDANTOIN, FRAGRANCE, DYE

Love this conditioner, ORS was too heavy for me.
I use it after shampooing, just leave it in my hair , no plastic cap, i let it dry on the hair, then wash it out. Hair feels great.
Very good condition & very good value
I haven't used it in a while, because i am working my way through all the conditions in my stash, credit crunch is hitting me hard :ohwell:

Back