Affirm Fiberguard Mild - Mild Isn't The Word

PrincessM

Affirm Fiberguard Mild - Mild Isn\'t The Word

This stuff is extremely mild. I finally did the home relaxer using Fiberguard Mild Lye. The good news, I switched to Lye without any problems (breakage & such), BUT my hair is underprocessed like you wouldn't believe in the front. It only texturized the front (because it was in the front for the lease amount of time). And all together I left it for almost 20 minutes (they recommend 13 minutes for my fine hair type!) Next time I know that I'm gonna have to do the front while my mom does the back areas. I can see why they market this stuff as a texturizer as well.

Should I go over the underprocessed part again (in 6-8 weeks)?

Re: Affirm Fiberguard Mild - Mild Isn\'t The Word

Ditto. I underprocessed my fine 4b hair with PCJ lye on Friday. I applied for 11 minutes and without combing it through the new growth. Cutebajangirl mentioned that PCJ and Fiberguard are about the same (EXTREMELY mild) strength.

My evil, lazy plan is to continue conditioner washing and detangling with my fingers ONLY once a week. If I don't comb my wet hair, I don't get breakage at the demarcation line, but I do clear the shed hair.

The texturized new growth doesn't affect my ringlets down style, but it puffs up my bun. I haven't resolved whether to comb the PCJ through next time or to leave it in longer.

Megonw,
I'm gonna have to definitely comb mine through longer next time. The front looks wavy, The back almost bone straight. *Sigh* I have 5 months worth of underprocessed hair now
wallbash.gif
. But now I know how long I have to leave it so it won't happen again
smile.gif

I have the Affirm Fiberguard Normal and I know exactly what you mean. My hair is coarse 4a/4b resitant type, so alot of times I use super strength relaxers. Well, when I first used the Affirm Fiberguard I underprocessed also. You just have to be careful next time you use it
smile.gif

The fiberguard mild is REALLY mild. The same thing happened to me, my hair basically went into a looseish Afro. I actually think the PCJ Lye is stronger (but still mild). But some of you guys have had results that show the PCJ to be milder on your hair than the Affirm mild. Anyway to get the look I want I think I am gonna go back to Dudley's mild.

So do you guys think it's safe to leave the relaxer on for almost 30 minutes to get it atleast 80% straight? I don't want it BONE straight, but I don't just want it texturized either... I'm telling you, 20 minutes and all it did was turn my 4a coils to 3C coils. I have a huge tub of this stuff so I gotta use it until it's through atleast...

[ QUOTE ]
PrincessM said:
So do you guys think it's safe to leave the relaxer on for almost 30 minutes to get it atleast 80% straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe next time you could comb through the new growth while staying within the time stated for your hair type? I now realize that physically pulling the hair straight while the lye is applied makes the difference when the chemical is mild.

You didn't buy the 4 pound tub of Fiberguard, did you? If not, you could use the next higher strength of Affirm lye relaxer next time with no loss.

Yup, I have the 4 pounder
wallbash.gif
. that's the only one sold where I got it (the sheldeez website). My mom did smooth my hair with the back of the fine tooth comb, but only for like 3 minutes. The 13 minutes for my type (my hair is baby fine) is NOT enough
nono.gif

Oh! Smoothing is the key, then. You mentioned that the back section that your mom smoothed is straight to your satisfaction. You're right to keep (roughly) the same amount of time and just have you mom smooth it all around. You can go fast with someone helping you.

Definitely smooth. When someone texturizes the hair they do not do the smoothing therefor the relaxer is the only thing relaxing the curl, but if you do the smoothing you are chemically as well as physically flattening the curl.
smile.gif

Thanks kenesha, by the way I love your hair journal & website!

Okay so I smooth and leave it on for 30 minutes and at most it brings my 4b to 4a and only for a couple of washes. I too bought the 4lb tub and have 1/2 left over I need a relaxer and can't afford to buy what I really want (Dudley's mild) and I am think I am gonna use it with heat and see what happens. If it falls out I'll go natural.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I am think I am gonna use it with heat and see what happens. If it falls out I'll go natural.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "use it with heat"?

I finally got my touch-up this afternoon with the Fiberguard (mild lye). It turned out great. Even my stylist was impressed (She previously used Optimum no-lye or whatever else she found in her cabinet. I brought in the Affirm Fiberguard to ensure the same relaxer is used for each touch-up). I was fearful that it might turn out "texturized" but it's pretty straight and silky smooth. She lightly combed through the new growth (I know that actually combing through the new growth may be a no-no, but apparently she's always done this rather than use the back of the comb . . . so I let her proceed). The application and smoothing took about 20 minutes total.

I was also fearful that I'd burn w/the lye relaxer, but that was not the case today. Not even a tingle. But I did have her apply Affirm's Gentle Assurance Sensitive Scalp Protector so maybe that's the reason.

By the way, I'm a 4a with medium-textured hair. I think the smoothing is definitely the key to achieving the desired straightness.

Can underprocessing cause breakage and shedding? My last relaxer was with Affirm Fiberguard Normal.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Cary, that's great that the fiberguard mild worked for you
smile.gif
. I'm gonna definitely have to do more smoothing... I'm 4a with baby fine hair and there shouldn't be a reason why it can't give me my desired straightness (about 80% straight so I can have some body).

Okay so my friend just did my hair with the Fiberguard mild and I now have to recant everything I said previously. She was sooooo thorough and my hair is straight, no underprocessing. I have some wavy hair in the middle of the strand but next time we will just do a comb through to correct that. I am so happy that I am finally not underprocessed.

cutebajangirl,

What did your friend do differently? Did she still apply for 30 minutes? Did she comb through or just pull with her fingers to smooth?

FYI Megon...I'm taking a second look at my PCJ try as well. I'm not sure what I'll do about it but my roots are WAY wavy. Way.

My curls are smoother, shiny - but they are there without a doubt. With a large portion of my hair being damaged from over-coloring, I'm pretty sure that the difference in texture between my roots and ends may be trouble.

When I rollerset it, my hair is as puffy as when I need a relaxer, though it doesn't LOOK like I need one the same as it does when I REALLY need one. Hope that makes sense.
crazy.gif

I've resolved to stick with the PCJ through 2004. I'm cheap (just like my daddy
sekret.gif
), so I'll keep self relaxing.

Just gotta figure out whether to comb through the new growth during application OR to not neutralize after rinsing until the Nutrient sheen's been on for 10 minutes.

Megonw- My friend sectioned my hair into four and applied to each of the quadrants starting with the right front with her hands. Once she was finished with that she went back to each quadrant and parted it with the tail part of a rat tail comb and smoothed it with the back side of the comb. I haven't had such a through relaxer since before my old hairdresser went kooky. And I hadn't had a relaxer since August and prior to that I had had 3 relaxers since March 2003 that were all underprocessed. I find that once you have a decent relaxer it makes it alot easier to stretch out the timing to the next one.
Also I wouldn't comb through if you want ringlets seems to me like you'd comb away any curl definition and I think you should use the neutralizer after the Nutrient sheen. I had the best results that way my hair felt and looked silky.

40 minutes. Which is a lot compared to women on the board but it is what I have done for years. Last year when I stopped is when I had underprocessing issues and breakage from that.

Back