Affirm: Any problems with breakage

simcha

I am a new member, although I discovered Cathy Howse book back in 1996. After three years my hair was well on it's way to my waist. Then my hairdresser (she used Bantu relaxer) was unfortunately incarcerated.

I switched to another hairdresser who insisted that Affirm was better than Bantu. So I gave in. Within two months not only was my hair stick straight, but it was breaking off if I just ran my fingers through my hair, not to mention there was no body left to it and I my hairline looked like it was receding.

I went to another hairdresser who wasn't too familiar with relaxers and she under relaxed it. Then I got a recommendation from Tim Reid's daughter (who has beautiful hair) and went to her. She insisted on Affirm also after I told her it took out my hair. She said the last guy didn't know what he was doing. I gave in and the same result. (One day she looked at it and asked my why it was breaking so much--gee I don't know).

I went to another hairdresser and she insisted that Affirm wasn't that good but neither was Bantu, she suggested Affluence. Six months later same result just not as extreme. I bought a jar of Bantu and insisted she use it. I left her when she laughed when I told her my hair grows at least 6 inches a year.

I went to another hairdresser last year with Bantu in hand. The girl he had doing the relaxers insisted on leaving it on for 20 minutes. After a few months I showed her my receding hairline and told her no more than 15 minutes. She left the salon and the owner has been doing my relaxer. Last touch up we got into an argument when I reminded him no more than 15 minutes. He started ranting and threw in that I have coarse hair. (I have fine hair mind you) So after 15 minutes I told him it was burning. I told him I wanted an itty-bitty, teeny-tiny trim. The first section he grabbed he wacked off at least an inch and a half if not more. I asked him what was he doing. He replied "I thought you wanted me to cut it. It actually needs twice as much cut off." I told him no, I want an itsy-bitsy, teeny tiny trim, just to neaten the ends. Since it's breaking off two inches from my scalp as a result of the twenty minute or more fiasco, wacking it off that much isn't going to stop the breakage, plus I'll probably breakdown and cry and then kill myself. Yes, I got dramatic. ( had no choice) He huffed and complied. After, going to him for over a year he still doesn't get what I'm talking about.

So I am scheduling consultations with hairdressers in the Los Angeles area. I have one with Neeko, in Pasadena (Halle Barry's) on Saturday, who uses Affirm and is also listed on Avlon's website as an authorized and qualified user of Affirm. I am also scheduling an appointment with a Dominican hairdresser, Nuris in Los Angeles. I'm even trying to get in touch with Sybill Brand Women's Correctional Facility to see if they'll let my favorite hair dresser do my hair as sort of a rehab.

Any suggestions on what I should look for and/or what questions I should ask? Should I insist on the use of Bantu (obviously some people don't know how to use it).

Sorry for such a long winded email but I felt the whole story needed to be told.

Thanks in advance.

cutebajangirl

If Bantu is what has worked for you in the past then stick with it. I think Affirm is a good relaxer system and even if a hairdresser does not do all of the steps as long as she neutralizes anyone should be fine. So that being said clearly you and Affirm do not mix. I would go to Nuris and take the Bantu with me.

Armyqt

Wow that's alot of hair drama. That's why many women hair just don't trust the stylists. They don't listen to your needs are often down right mean and nasty to you. I'm sorry you had to go through so much hardship.

Welcome to the board

L

LaNecia

Welcome! Wow, I'm very sorry to hear about your hair drama. I agree w/CBG, I would take my desired relaxer w/me.

ladylibra_30

welcome to the board. sorry to hear that you had such a fiasco w/various stylist. i used to get affirm and it eventually started to thin my hair out.

why don't you interview before they touch one single thread first

Barbi

I'm very sorry to hear about your hair stylist fiasco. I used to have the same problem when my hair stylist decided to retire. He was very good, but decided that he didn't want to do hair anymore.

After several unsuccessful attempts to find another a great hairstylist, I decided to take matters into my own hands by applying my own relaxers. It's not hard at all as long as you use the appropriate neutralizer making sure that you repeat it several times. Not only do you save alot of money, but you don't have to worry about someone doing it the wrong way.

Regarding your hair trims, I had several bad experiences with stylist going scissor too. I go to super cuts around my way. They will trim off whatever you want them to trim off for only $14.

Chanteuse

[ QUOTE ]
simcha said:
Then my hairdresser (she used Bantu relaxer) was unfortunately incarcerated.

Sorry but I think that line is so funny!! Not the fact that she had to go to jail but just, oh nevermind.

Personally I love Affirm but it sounds like it just doesn't agree with your hair and that your hair may be getting overprocessed. I agree w/ the other posters about possibly doing your hair yourself and using what you know works. Who knows, the prison system may take you up on your offer of hairstylist rehabilitation.

GinnyP

Simcha, I am so sorry you had to go throught that, I had similar experiences with hair dresses I am so glad I found this site. The ladies on this board will help and guide you I am still learning and trying different products. This hairdresser I am using now uses Affirm on my hair the verdict is still out my last relaxer was 2-5-04 with the help from the board my hair got thicker and longer I received my 2nd relaxer today 4-2-04 I thought my hair did better and was strong with the Motions relaxer oh well I like this hairdresser(so far, go good) I still don't trust hair stylist, from my past experiences, but good luck! Use the relaxer that you feel good about. I will pm you regarding all my past hair drama. If you need any help just ask!

simcha

Thanks everyone for your support! Just an update, I went to Nuris with a list of questions and I think she's a keeper. She confirmed that I have thin hair with a slightly resistant curl. It's absurd to just set the timer but more important to pay attention to how the hair is progressing during a re-touch and the trim issue -- she said I'm the client and it's whatever I want. Also, the majority of her clients have shoulder length or longer hair (she has a beautiful head full of hair herself - past her bra strap). I'm really excited.

MelloYello

[ QUOTE ]
simcha said:
Thanks everyone for your support! Just an update, I went to Nuris with a list of questions and I think she's a keeper. She confirmed that I have thin hair with a slightly resistant curl. It's absurd to just set the timer but more important to pay attention to how the hair is progressing during a re-touch and the trim issue -- she said I'm the client and it's whatever I want. Also, the majority of her clients have shoulder length or longer hair (she has a beautiful head full of hair herself - past her bra strap). I'm really excited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Simcha!
i just started going to Nuris myself and let me tell you so is a definte keeper!! (isn't her hair beautiful
) She did a fantastic job on my retiuch and really takes her time to look at you hair and make appropriate decisions BEFORE putting the relaxer in....
plus you will be hard pressed to find another hairdresser in the LA area that can do a proper rollerset!
PM me and we can trade some notes on stylists to stay away from in LA
I've been to or studied them all!!!

northernbelle

Hi! I have worn an Affirm relaxer, Mild Strength, for five years now, and have not experienced breakage from it.

Affirm is reputed as one of the best in the industry. I like it.

northernbelle

Aspasia

[ I'm even trying to get in touch with Sybill Brand Women's Correctional Facility to see if they'll let my favorite hair dresser do my hair as sort of a rehab.
>>>
Before I begin how can I get in touch with Nuris for a hari consulation?

First let me say that I completely relate to your story. Hair is an issue that can make us women crazy, depressed and ready to kill. :wallbash:My hairdresser, as much as I tipped her, turned out to be a B- Didn't give a damn, when she first said that my hair was longer then hairs I should have run. Dummy me-

OK, nuff said. Now YOu had me crying... I was laughing so hard at the witty way your wrote this journey through hair hell and the next to last line quoted above busted me wide open-- Do you have a blog? I love the way you write---

Last edited:

simcha

[ I'm even trying to get in touch with Sybill Brand Women's Correctional Facility to see if they'll let my favorite hair dresser do my hair as sort of a rehab.
>>>
Before I begin how can I get in touch with Nuris for a hari consulation?

First let me say that I completely relate to your story. Hair is an issue that can make us women crazy, depressed and ready to kill. :wallbash:My hairdresser, as much as I tipped her, turned out to be a B- Didn't give a damn, when she first said that my hair was longer then hairs I should have run. Dummy me-

OK, nuff said. Now YOu had me crying... I was laughing so hard at the witty way your wrote this journey through hair hell and the next to last line quoted above busted me wide open-- Do you have a blog? I love the way you write---

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I have to agree with Maya Angelou that every woman should have a story to tell their grand-children - and how you tell it can be just as important.

I still go to Nuris for my re-touches. I have to be honest with you, I'm not fond of her styling techniques. I go to Neeko to have my hair shaped. Although I am on a no trim challenge. Back when Jasmine did my hair, I only trimmed it once a year. I just figured out that I need to stretch out my relaxers and I've been exploring Ayurvedic powders recently. So hopefully by the end of the year I will reach bra strap.

Sorry about that - you didn't ask for all of that information.

Nuris
Trina's Beauty Supply
4846 West Pico Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Tell her Deidre sent you.

The salon is in the back of the shop.

Let me know how it goes.

No I don't have a blog. I'm still trying to wrap my head around email, facebook - what the hell is twitter?