A few questions about deep conditioners......

cocoa32

Can any conditioner be considered a deep conditioner if you leave it on for 15 minutes or more with a plastic cap and/or heat? I noticed some conditioners don't say "deep conditioner" but some ladies are using them as such.

I always thought a deep conditioner had to be something kind of thick and heavy. Is this true?

For me, yes. I can use most of my conditioners as deep conditioners. It depends on what I am going for - protein, moisture, both. But, for some reason it is not the other way around. Many of the ones that are labeled to be used as deep conditioners don't seem to work as well as rinse out ones.

I think I've read some threads before that mentioned certain ingredients were used in deep conditioners that weren't in instant conditioners that penetrate the hair shaft, which is which you leave them on for awhile, but I could be mistaken. Maybe someone will chime in on this.:look:

I, for one, consider conditoners that mention "penetrating" or some similar verbage on the package (or mention leaving on for 15+ min w/ or w/o heat) as deep conditoners, and the others that say rinse after 1-3 min as instant conditioners.

HTH

artemis_e. said:
I think I've read some threads before that mentioned certain ingredients were used in deep conditioners that weren't in instant conditioners that penetrate the hair shaft, which is which you leave them on for awhile, but I could be mistaken. Maybe someone will chime in on this.:look:

I, for one, consider conditoners that mention "penetrating" or some similar verbage on the package (or mention leaving on for 15+ min w/ or w/o heat) as deep conditoners, and the others that say rinse after 1-3 min as instant conditioners.

HTH

I'd love to know what these ingredients are! Does anyone know?

artemis_e. said:

HTH
Yes you're right. Not all conditioners can deep condition. There was a list of conditioners for deep conditioning on mowtowngirl.com and there was a thread here explaining it in more detail. I'll go try to find that thread and bump it.

artemis_e. said:

HTH

thats pretty much how i think it goes....what you said:grin:

^^^^ great thread.. also, I love to leave my on for a looooong time with just a plastic cap or a shorter time with heat.

Back